Map Requests

Discussion related to the New Vision mod.

Moderator: DaveW

revel911
Thug

Re: Map Requests

Post by revel911 »

nerdenstein wrote:Couple of ideas then;
A tunnel under here? It's never opened up but maybe make it so you can see it from the warehouse district?
I've got an idea for that but I don't know if it'd work yet.
Also, It looks silly on top of that tall building so we'd need to shorten it. But then add buildings from the warehouse district behind it, making them look as if they do actually join up together. Same with Osgoods Warehouse. The only problem with that is we'd have to do the same thing to the Warehouse district map, in the sense that, we can see the Warehouse Rooftops from the Street map and we can see the Streets from the Warehouse map? It's give more depth to both maps but I don't know if that'd be too difficult and cause issues in itself.

Make the Scale on the Red building 2.0 instead of 1.0. Doesn't make the repeated texture quite so well, repeated.
Also, make that tall building on the right complete brick removing the repeated texture that's used on the building behind it. It looks silly now but I was considering manually adding single windows up the middle. I don't know how crap that would look without trying it.
Oh, And added the two doors.

Obviously, added that little built out doorway feature and added the ledge. The same ledge could be repeated against the texture all the way up.
The repeated window texture at the back could look a little better thinking about it.
Maybe add a fire escape the the far left corner.

EDIT: Sorry, I'll carry on with my own maps now. :so:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
These look good until the corners where windows run into different windows. Anyway to switch to a none windowed texture right there at the corners?
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

nerdenstein wrote:Couple of ideas then;
A tunnel under here? It's never opened up but maybe make it so you can see it from the warehouse district?
I've got an idea for that but I don't know if it'd work yet.
Also, It looks silly on top of that tall building so we'd need to shorten it. But then add buildings from the warehouse district behind it, making them look as if they do actually join up together. Same with Osgoods Warehouse. The only problem with that is we'd have to do the same thing to the Warehouse district map, in the sense that, we can see the Warehouse Rooftops from the Street map and we can see the Streets from the Warehouse map? It's give more depth to both maps but I don't know if that'd be too difficult and cause issues in itself.

Make the Scale on the Red building 2.0 instead of 1.0. Doesn't make the repeated texture quite so well, repeated.
Also, make that tall building on the right complete brick removing the repeated texture that's used on the building behind it. It looks silly now but I was considering manually adding single windows up the middle. I don't know how crap that would look without trying it.
Oh, And added the two doors.

Obviously, added that little built out doorway feature and added the ledge. The same ledge could be repeated against the texture all the way up.
The repeated window texture at the back could look a little better thinking about it.
Maybe add a fire escape the the far left corner.

EDIT: Sorry, I'll carry on with my own maps now. :so:

I wondered what that path you made in the wall was until I reaised it was the building near Osgoods. I don't know if I like the idea of a path through the bottom of the building there, there never was one before and there isn't any good reason to add one, so I don't see the point of a tunnel here. IMO, its best not to change maps too much, if it was there already and could do with adjustments or changing, fine, but personally I wouldn't be adding anything new where it wasn't before or shouldn't be.
My nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Ok, I don't have time to read everything and I'm a bit rushed. I'm trying to get some graphic design work done at the moment in the 3 days off I have - on Thursday I started a temp job at a local water company designing flushing programs for the water mains around a city - 9 to 5 stuff but it still leaves me much less time than I have had before.

Nerdenstein, that Paris lantern is one I'm due to work on (I've got a screenshot from the editor, I just need to model and texture it). The wall with columns etc. is never going to look good. That's the sort of detail that needs to be modelled (i.e. it would be in a modern game), but it's a fairly minor thing so I'll leave it. D3D10 does support Parralax (Occlusion Mapping, e.g. POM) though, but Parralax is an awful technique in my opinion and I don't want to use it. Even sparingly.

Regarding New York, like Chris said he had some great ledges dotted around the map which already made a great deal of difference. The stuff you've posted looks fantastic, though - I love the extra road in the first screenshot. Makes it look much more like a district in a big city rather than a purpose-built game level.

I like that the red building now has less tiling but those windows probably look massive..maybe 1.5 scale instead if it wouldn't mess up texture alignments too badly?

Also the area to the left of the free clinic looks much better now, too. Making the buildings have some purpose makes it look so much better!

Oh, also I'd completely forgotten that I did that to the Paris poster. Guess I'd just played TNM at the time..
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

Glad you liked them.
Chris has an updated NYC map anyway, that was just stuff I'd worked on earlier before, I just had a play with the map a little.
So I guess if they're alright, Chris could add them to his map at somepoint or he can send me his map later and I'll add to it. Whichever way you guys want.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

If its already mentioned, forget this, but playing through game was at HK Canals and the area near the ship with the woman on it, there is a BSP hole at the path that slants upwards that takes you back to the top walkway from the ship. Image (BSP is in red rectangle): Image

Also (this may have to do with new NV textures) one door in the HK Canals map is supposed to have metal bars in front of the door but instead now there is one fat bar at the left side of the door and doesn't look right and needs fixing. Post image tomorrow
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus
Marcelo
NSF

Post by Marcelo »

Hello Dave.

Here's another version of the House of pleasure billboard:

Original size: http://imm.io/9WhZ

I'll be making more textures soon. I've send you some already via pm. Hope you find them useful.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

"Brodway"? Is that intentional?
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Marcelo
NSF

Post by Marcelo »

lol I Think is the same text as the original. I'm also trying to remake the bulletin board in Unatco but I would like to add some readable notes so If any of you who knows more about the story of the game please let me know. I was thinking about office rules/ethics etc.. along with some unatco classified data or something like that. I want to help with some of the textures that are still left to do but I might need some direction on which ones and the desirable size etc.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

Marcelo wrote:lol I Think is the same text as the original. I'm also trying to remake the bulletin board in Unatco
Not trying to discourage you, but just to make you aware - there already was one done that is in the first HDTP release (or is it NV, I don't remember?). Nothing wrong with trying for better though. :)
Daveyboy1978
Thug

Post by Daveyboy1978 »

Marcelo wrote:lol I Think is the same text as the original. I'm also trying to remake the bulletin board in Unatco but I would like to add some readable notes so If any of you who knows more about the story of the game please let me know. I was thinking about office rules/ethics etc.. along with some unatco classified data or something like that. I want to help with some of the textures that are still left to do but I might need some direction on which ones and the desirable size etc.
It is Broadway. But nice picture :)
Marcelo
NSF

Post by Marcelo »

Daveyboy1978 wrote:
Marcelo wrote:lol I Think is the same text as the original. I'm also trying to remake the bulletin board in Unatco but I would like to add some readable notes so If any of you who knows more about the story of the game please let me know. I was thinking about office rules/ethics etc.. along with some unatco classified data or something like that. I want to help with some of the textures that are still left to do but I might need some direction on which ones and the desirable size etc.
It is Broadway. But nice picture :)

Yes, I noticed. sorry, my bad. :( I also made the stupid mistake of writing "House of Pleasure" instead of "House of Pain". I struggle a bit with English :P Both have been fixed now.
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

I was doing a playthrough again and I noticed with NV, the textures on the walls on the upper floor of the inside of the 'Ton (where Paul's Apartment is) are different sizes and needs fixing. Not sure if that has been mentioned already, checked over half of this thread and didn't see it mentioned.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

I've got a map where I've tried fixing them but it's strange.
I know I've brought it up somewhere on the forums.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

This map requests never really came to much but I have decided to take to fixing some texture alignments, BSP holes and a couple of others in all maps and some of things mentioned in the first post in this thread. I can do some here and there in my spare time, so if anyone has new things they want done on maps since the last NV release or things not mentioned here, feel free to post here and I'll make a list of what I will do.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Make sure you are basing you map fixes on the map patch version of the maps.
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.