Map Requests

Discussion related to the New Vision mod.

Moderator: DaveW

DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Re: Map Requests

Post by DaveW »

nerdenstein wrote:Chris, seeing as you're doing Hong Kong, I few bugs I noticed:
Already got all of those (except the boat) with the ZIP I uploaded with all the changes I think we need to make :)

As for the tyres:

I can't quite make out the MedCentre shot :P
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

DaveW wrote:As for the tyres:
Oh thank god. Or Dave. Oh, thank Dave.

Trying to figure out how to do that in Unreal Ed was not fun.

-

The Versalife building, it's not important but it should be pretty easy to explain once I have time to take screenshots which I don't right now. Basically, when you look out the window the things closest to you are a line of buildings (which sort of curves away on the left side.) These are from the canal map, and when you take that into account the position of the Versalife building makes complete sense.

There is one building that doesn't match the canal map. The building directly across from the window is taller in the canal map than it is in the Versalife map. In the Versalife map it is so easy to look over you might miss the fact it is there. (What you see when you look over it is Tonnochi Road.) In the canal map that exact same building is still there, but an extension has been added to the top which makes it significantly taller. If the same were done to that building in the Versalife map you'd barely be able to look over it an would only be able to see the extreme far end of Tonnochi Road.

In the Tonnochi Road map itself the smaller building you saw from the Versalife map is still there, right where the Versalife and canal maps say it should be, but in this map multiple extensions have been added (none of them the same as the one from the canal map) creating the ledged building you see in the map. This building is even taller than the one in the canal map, and if the one in the Versalife map were that tall you wouldn't be able to see Tonnochi Road at all.

It's not that the Versalife building the Tonnochi Road map is somehow wrong, it's that you can't see the Versalife building from that map because the building between them has been made much taller than it should be.

Not important, somewhat annoying.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

DaveW wrote:
nerdenstein wrote:Chris, seeing as you're doing Hong Kong, I few bugs I noticed:
Already got all of those (except the boat) with the ZIP I uploaded with all the changes I think we need to make :)

I can't quite make out the MedCentre shot :P
Awesome! Where'd you upload it because I can't find it on the GoogleCode site.
Yeah, I'll upload Tongs base with a few alignment fixes and my WIP UNATCO to the GoogleCode page for you too have alook. I wasn't sure if there was anything to add to Tongs Base really. I'll leave it too Chris or you Dave. Also, my Changelog I put on there is a bit dodgy. It was mostly for me as a reference for stuff too do in the NY maps. I'm gonna get the UNATCOHQ and it's duplicates out the way first and then work on doing the Streets maps.
I want to merge the Warehouse map and Street map together but keep gameplay in both as separate maps. So you can see the tops of buildings in the warehouse district from the Street and Visa Versa. It means we can take off the top of the Osgood building and make the backdrop look cooler. In theory. 8-[

Oh, And that tyre looks so cool! :D
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

The changes are here. Tong's base was pretty much ok aside from a few minor changes I wanted to the opening area. But, mostly it's just the awful texture alignment of the screens.

The basic texture alignment stuff I'm not incapable of doing myself, but as soon as it comes to altering brushes I'm out. I have never 'got' UnrealEd. I can model proficiently in Max and Maya but UnrealEd scares me.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

What changes do you want doing to the opening area (EDIT: Aside from the two images you posted. Doing them now. I've done most of screens)? I'll do it before I stick it on the Googlecode along with a couple of minor changes to the Intro, first training map and a WIP UNATCO Map. I've only done the Med Centre but I wanted another opinion on it before I dup'ed it to the other maps.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

The opening to Tong's place, you mean? Just what's in the pictures (and the screens), pretty much. The floor isn't aligned very well (that said, no floor textures in the game are) and the ceiling looks a bit rubbish.

I'll go through Liberty Island next and take some screenshots.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

Okay Dokie. Fixed both.
Uploaded both the intro map and the Training map.
I added a couple of suggestions to both downloads but I'll say them here too: For the intro, Perhaps we could make the MJ12 lab scene look more like it does ingame?
As for the training, making the overlook areas where Jamie and various other people are stood a little more realistic? Adding doors and corridors for example. Just small changes.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Yep, both sound good. Training is a bit less important mind you, since I don't think anyone actually plays it :P

Downloading the maps now. The maps go tiny when you ZIP them, by the way - I'm on an atrocious connection so it'd be much appreciated :P
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

Oh, apologies! I'll do that from now often.
I've got a crap connection too so they'll be easier to upload if they're zipped.

It's only the MedLab in the UNATCO Map you'll noticed a difference mind.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

It's not that it makes a massive difference, it's just it takes a few minutes to download such small maps! I hate living in the country.

The new MedLab looks awesome. I love it.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

DaveW wrote:The new MedLab looks awesome. I love it.
Cool. I just felt it odd that you had to walk through the operating threatre to get to Jamie's office. :P
Uploading an updated Tong's map with the two fixes you sshot'ed and aligned screens in both Tong's room and Alex's room.
I also get shot of the repeated keyboard texture around the upper walk of Alex's room and changed it too a metal texture.
I hate those lights over the Operating theatre too. I've just noticed that after uploading it. #-o

I uploaded it as a .zip file but I can do .rar if you prefer and if you use winrar. I wasn't sure so I played it safe with .zip this time though.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

I do have WinRar, but I find ZIP easier since it's built into Windows. ZIP does a decent enough job anyway - 1mb to 300kb! You should see what it does to 3DSMax scenes - 100mb shrinks to 3mb.

The opening section looks a lot better - thanks for satisfying my OCD :P I always hated it when the tiles weren't touching their edges to the edge of the wall - how could you texture so sloppily? There's still quite a few screens that are out though (they're fiddly bastards), and as you come into the lab from the stairs, to the left the stone texture is unaligned. How easy it'll be to get that to align in the editor using the old textures though, is another matter.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

Yeah I'm still playing with those screens. Bloody things.
I mean it took me awhile to sort the floor out in the entrance area. I managed to slowly narrow the scaling down too some obsecure number
(U: 9.4, V: 9.25 I don't think that was it but something to that effect).

I keep going back to Tongs base because of various misalignments around the whole thing. The tiles around the control room, the screens (I've fixed a couple up but I'll try fixing more before I upload another version), the bricks around the secret entrance*, The white and grey tiled flooring,(It's aligned oddly in the Medlab).

*I guess the funny alignment around the secret entrance is justified by it being just that, a secret entrance. Well, maybe not. I dunno.
Its midnight. I'm tired. I'm going bed.
m3rc1l3ss
Silhouette

Post by m3rc1l3ss »

So is a fairly large portion of the map editing done or are you all working on different map sections?
Last edited by m3rc1l3ss on Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hmm, I really wish I had a signature...
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Thanks for fixing the tire. It's oddly been a big issue for me. DX's ugly "tire" is a flawed representation of an inaccurate interpretation of how a tire looks. Even octagonal tires wouldn't look that crap. Immersion can snap like a twig when game renderings casually violate reality, like a square sun. Before this, the "What are you trying to show me?" object was the buckyball basketball, which was at least aspirational, and would be way more fun in real life.
--
I'm hoping the maps don't change much, that an NV player or DX player will stand in the same spot. Still, that's talk, not work, and I'm enjoying the progress.