Congratulations, you crazy bastard

Discussion related to the New Vision mod.

Moderator: DaveW

Schlumpf
Thug

Re: Congratulations, you crazy bastard

Post by Schlumpf »

Congratulations. Great job. =D>
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Jonas wrote:Point being Dave is awesome. Do you disagree? No! So there :lol:
The sky still sucks. But I suppose it hasn't even been touched, so it's just vanilla right?
Aside from that... yes... awesome!
chris the cynic wrote:I don't want to take away from praising Dave, but if I could take a moment to not praise Dave
No.
They're different people?!
Am I confusing people again? I seem prone to do so (1.04+ readme too 0_o)
I'm imagining Trestkon, Lawrence, and Jonas sitting around having drinks and it's ... weird, yet somehow awesome.
*cough* Totally the intention *cough*
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Hearty congratulations indeed.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Best Highlight of this mod. Tracer Tong's Lab..

The second you go there, instant sex/gizz face..

Overall though I have to say this is one really excellent and polished texture pack, I am utterly impressed with the quality of everything.. some of the most amazing texture work I've seen- especially tongs lab.. dear god.. I love it so much.

I can't believe how much Dave actually got done. So much of the game is textured with the HD textures.

The new TV screens look amazing too, the first time you walk into Unatco.. boom it hits you.

As for issues:

There is a slight alignment issue on one of the textures in tongs lab nothing too serious though, it just loops a little bit on the edge. I'd argue doesn't need to be fixed. I have a screenshot of it, but yeah I wouldn't bother with it, it looks amazing.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/40/shot0021i.png/
There are some really major seams on the skyboxes for Vandenburg and Versalife, I got some screenshots of them. These IMO are definately worth looking into given how much they appear in the game (Versalife not so much but its an iconic level), Vandenburg's are used in 4 other levels. These definitely are some major issues I feel due to how obvious they are.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/37/shot0012dp.png/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/832/shot0023x.png/

Only 1 billboard is done (I'd gladly do the others for you, it wouldn't take very long to do them given how basic they are- and in fact I recall I already started doing most of them when I left the team- they appear quite a bit in the game so its worth doing and I'm happy to do them for you).

Helios textures aren't HD, the helios ending doesn't look as epic as a result (the other endings however look amazing). This isn't major, and I actually think the other part of Helios is connected to HDTP- its really just the blinking Borg like thing that needs doing. Unfortunately its animated.

Some of the skyline textures for Battery Park aren't done, the ones that are done look amazing, but the ones that aren't done do stand out a bit due to their proximity to the HD versions (its a big difference in resolution).
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/594/shot0006v.png/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/535/shot0005n.png/
I would think these can just be replaced with photos of those buildings. As for the smaller houses, I'd take the houses out completely and just leave the lights- you really shouldn't be able to see the buildings.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Thanks for the comments everyone :)

Yes, the skies look like shit. Basically, I got part way with them and realised they were going to look awful no matter what I did. The map pack will completely fix all these issues, because so many of the problems are the way the mappers have used the textures. I can't possibly avoid some seams because they shouldn't really be there (the one you linked to of vandenberg, they actually cut the texture off early, it should fade out into black). They just got away with it while it was blurry.

The Helios animated bit proved a bit too difficult for me to attempt in a reasonable time. Maybe for the map pack if I have the time. But it's 256X256 and nicely animated, so it wasn't one that I felt jarred too much. But since it is prominent in the ending, I might consider doing it.

If you're happy doing the billboards, give it a shot. They should be 2048X1024.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

yeah I'm on holysmokes right now. Will show it off when I'm done. Looks really nice so far.
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

What's a "youur" (UNATCO HQ poster of Liberty city)? I *think* it should read tour, not sure though.
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
Dragon
Silhouette

Post by Dragon »

Nice job on releasing this all. A pity I can't get the 1.6G down in the near future as I need my line for other things right now. But "aufgeschoben ist nicht aufgehoben" as we say in German :D
Leader and Head Programmer: Epsylon, Drag[en]gine Game Engine (Alt-Page) and others
shinobi87
Thug

Post by shinobi87 »

Title says it all.
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

Should we start a new thread be started for problems that will require a mapper to fix? It doesn't seem like the "Congratulations" thread should be weighed down with, "There's more work to do."
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

A agree with Chris.
We should do what we did with the Unofficial patch and include a list of things that need fixing and stuff that make it looks slightly better, the third floor of the 'Ton Hotel idea, for example.

Speaking of the Unofficial Patch, Could that (Or Aspects of that) not be included into such a project? I PM'd Yuki via Moddb awhile ago as he has access to the files but he never got back to me.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
kdawg88
MJ12

Post by kdawg88 »

*claps and stomps on floor*

The hype returns!!
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

Holy Shit! Even the guys at Eidos took notice!
Posted the mod link on their Deus Ex Facebook page! :D
https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/DeusEx
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Ok holysmokes is 1/2 done, still got the carton to do and some tidying up of the overall image, plus I have to add some detail to it (like dirt overlay ect.)

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/9/ ... bbwip.png/
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

nerdenstein wrote:A agree with Chris.
We should do what we did with the Unofficial patch and include a list of things that need fixing and stuff that make it looks slightly better, the third floor of the 'Ton Hotel idea, for example.

Speaking of the Unofficial Patch, Could that (Or Aspects of that) not be included into such a project? I PM'd Yuki via Moddb awhile ago as he has access to the files but he never got back to me.
That's what the Map Requests thread is for :)

Oh and that looks cool Dave, here's the PSD of the other New York sign if you want to match it a bit.