New Vision on Wine

Discussion related to the New Vision mod.

Moderator: DaveW

EER
Illuminati

New Vision on Wine

Post by EER »

All,

I noticed that NV was not working, and I think that I am smart enough to do everything right. After doublechecking everything, crying for a couple minutes and then rechecking I found that S3TC is not available on debian/ubuntu wine by default, also see the following blog post:
http://www.carbon-project.org/S3TC_comp ... _Wine.html

After installing the package linked in this post (if that is legal in your country), you should instantly have NV goodness flowing off your screen.

Happy gaming in HD!
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Re: New Vision on Wine

Post by justanotherfan »

Wikipedia wrote:S3 Texture Compression (S3TC) (sometimes also called DXTn or DXTC) is a group of related lossy texture compression algorithms originally developed by Iourcha et al. of S3 Graphics, Ltd. [1] for use in their Savage 3D computer graphics accelerator.
Oh good, we're playing DX with the latest in graphic technoludge.

Kidding. Anyway, it looks like FLOSS people are working on an alternative they call S2TC. I'm told it's being developed especially by the Nexuiz/Xonotic game, which looks fairly awesome. I have it installed, but nvidia's closed drivers are broken, so I'll play when I have an ATI card. Unfortunately, the free Radeon drivers don't support libtxc_dxtn.so yet on the most modern cards.

There's that "World Edition" of libtxc_dxtn.so that supports S3TC in Linux, but it can't be distributed in the USA because of their corporatocratic IP legislation.

Thanks for noting this. I was thinking of asking in the other forum what the best way to install and setup DX would be now (new binaries, NV, renderers, etc).
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

Basically, just follow the readme with the following changes:
- Use the OpenGL renderer, the support for this on linux is better than D3D, especially 10. Don't forget to set UseS3TC=True and install the fix above if possible.
- The deusex.ini will be in ~/Deus Ex/System (I presume this is default wine behaviour, to map My Documents to ~).
- You still need to install the ms visual C++ runtime 2010.
- Note that Kentie's deusex.exe uses different case from the DeusEx.exe, and as such will NOT be able to find your DeusEx.ini, so your changes may not be transferred to Kentie's copy. Also, if running wine DeusEx.exe, don't be surprised that the old launcher starts, you should run wine deusex.exe
- I had to disable directsound in Kentie's config to prevent sound stopping to play about a minute in game. Not NV related I'd think, but still worth mentioning.
flib
Thug

Post by flib »

Any tips on getting the VC runtime installed?
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

justanotherfan wrote:
Wikipedia wrote:S3 Texture Compression (S3TC) (sometimes also called DXTn or DXTC) is a group of related lossy texture compression algorithms originally developed by Iourcha et al. of S3 Graphics, Ltd. [1] for use in their Savage 3D computer graphics accelerator.
Oh good, we're playing DX with the latest in graphic technoludge.
It is a bit weird that Direct X's textures are still based upon this decade-old texture format (albeit it's been expanded with full alpha channels and the like). Unreal Engine 1 always had this capability but S3TC was only available for the Savage 3D Cards - that's why there's a load of high resolution textures on the second Unreal Tournament GOTY disc. That's also why you need a new renderer to put this ability back in, because OpenGL and Direct3D weren't allowed to use the technology from the outset. Now it's pretty much fair game for anyone to use.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

flib wrote:Any tips on getting the VC runtime installed?
I downloaded the setup and ran it. No issues. You could use winetricks though.
flib
Thug

Post by flib »

EER wrote:
flib wrote:Any tips on getting the VC runtime installed?
I downloaded the setup and ran it. No issues. You could use winetricks though.
Yeah, that's what I tried. Thanks.
john00
NSF

Post by john00 »

Sky Pool is an engineering marvel that has taken the world by storm since it was unveiled in 2018. Located in London's Nine Elms district, it is the first ever transparent swimming pool that is suspended between two buildings. Sky Pool is an incredible feat of design and engineering that has captured the attention of the world, with many people wondering what it is made of.So, what is the Sky Pool made of? important source
raffatlaw
Thug

Post by raffatlaw »

Searching for a best divorce lawyer in Islamabad? Our experienced legal team is here to provide empathetic and professional assistance during this challenging time.