Do bump mapping or parallax occlusion work?

Discussion related to the New Vision mod.

Moderator: DaveW

SyntaxError
Thug

Do bump mapping or parallax occlusion work?

Post by SyntaxError »

Hello all!

As per title of the thread, with the New Vision textures (thanks for the great work!) and Kentie's D3D10 renderer, do the bump mapping and parallax occlusion settings do anything?

I don't see any real difference, neither in-game nor on comparison screenshots I took.
flib
Thug

Re: Do bump mapping or parallax occlusion work?

Post by flib »

I was also wondering about bump-mapping. I thought I read at some point that this was going to support it, but if it doesn't, that's okay. :)
SyntaxError
Thug

Post by SyntaxError »

Ok, after playing a bit more with the new textures, it seems that it indeed works.
However, either the effect is rather subtle, or not all textures have it.
Anyway, with some surfaces you can see it.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Well they work insofar as the renderer supports them. But I haven't made any of the custom texture maps required to use them.
SyntaxError
Thug

Post by SyntaxError »

I see, guess it were some old textures then? I have read somewhere that the renderer uses the detail textures for bumb mapping?

Out of interest, can you point to some page where I can find some info about how to make the texture maps? I've done a few for Fallout New Vegas, but that's of course a different engine, so I guess the technique is a bit different.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Kentie's page has the basics on importing them here. Should be the same technique as any other engine, the default Crazybump settings seemed to work (I know some engines do funny stuff with the XYZ co-ordinates so you have to change the way the Normal Map is generated - but I don't think Kentie programmed it like that.)