Trying to uninstall turns DX green

Discussion related to the New Vision mod.

Moderator: DaveW

Grammatolatry
MJ12

Trying to uninstall turns DX green

Post by Grammatolatry »

I downloaded new vision and all its accompanying thingiemajigs as instructed by the person who's name begins with a K found in the readme render file (kelpie?). Anyhoo, I chickened out when the installation and adjustments didn't work, and tried to revert DX back to its old fashioned self. Unfortunately, the sound is blurry and the screen is washed with dark green. I've deleted all the files related to new vision, like the directx and c+++ stuff, (apart from new vision itself- took 2 hours to download), and reset everything to default, but the problems persist.

So, any ideas as to what I've done wrong?
SyntaxError
Thug

Re: Trying to uninstall turns DX green

Post by SyntaxError »

What exactly did not work after installing New Vision? And how did you deinstall DirectX?

You should leave DirectX on your pc, as almost every game uses it.
Or are you referring to the additional renderers that came with the textures?

The renderer is the first thing I'd check here, you can select which renderer DX uses (as per instructions in the readme). Try switching to a different one. If D3D10 doesn't work, try the OpenGL renderer.
flib
Thug

Post by flib »

Green, you say?
Is this what you're seeing?

Did you delete D3DDrv.dll and D3DDrv.int? Those are the ones that come with the game that you should probably hold onto.
I suspect that that is what happened, so when you tried to run it, the game fell back onto a different renderer, except it chose one of the weird ones, rather than OpenGL.
If this is the case, I recommend using the Kentie's DeusExe launcher to find out what renderer is selected, and switch it to OpenGL and see if that fixes your problem.
Then, you can also reinstall the DX9/DX10 renderer files and run that. You may also want to find the DX7 files you deleted, just in case.
Grammatolatry
MJ12

Post by Grammatolatry »

Ok, so I picked up my balls and tried installing it again. Previously when I tried uninstalling NV, I only removed the d3d10drv.ddl and .int files. I didn't touch the d3ddrv files. I followed the text document instructions given by Kentie: downloaded the d3d10drv files, moved them into Deusex/system folder (pic)

I downloaded that C+++ file, moved the DX original textures to a subfolder and copy-pasted the NV textures in their place. I switched DX to the D3D10 renderer, ingame (as Kentie said to do on the website article), and I added the extra line of code in the DX.ini file.

But now when I open DX I get a menu screen with no words on the panels, and when I try starting a new game this pops up in blue writing:

failed URL
cannot find 'coretexdetail'
wink wonk
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

I stand to be corrected here... but here goes. Instead of removing the DX texture files shouldn't you have just overwritten them with the NV ones, coz I think the game needs some unaltered ones for the menu and such. Apologies if I'm talking through my hat.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Grammatolatry
MJ12

Post by Grammatolatry »

So what's the difference between overwriting and removing+replacing? I didn't delete the old textures because it said not to in the instructions.
wink wonk
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Grammatolatry wrote:So what's the difference between overwriting and removing+replacing? I didn't delete the old textures because it said not to in the instructions.
If you remove them the game wouldn't be able to find the ones it needs to fire up the menu..I think. All I did was extract the new vision textures into the DeusEx Textures and renamed it NewVision Textures and changed the line(s) in the ini.
Grammatolatry
MJ12

Post by Grammatolatry »

GENIUS.

The textures are working. The screen flickers a bit, but I can live with that. The only thing left is the blurry sound.

Thank you very much.
wink wonk
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Grammatolatry wrote:GENIUS.

The textures are working. The screen flickers a bit, but I can live with that. The only thing left is the blurry sound.

Thank you very much.
I had that scratchy stuttery sound glitch. Changing Use DirectSound=True to Use DirectSound=False fixed it.
Grammatolatry
MJ12

Post by Grammatolatry »

Perfect- it works like a dream! The detail is incredible....
wink wonk