It's done.

Discussion related to the New Vision mod.

Moderator: DaveW

DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

It's done.

Post by DaveW »

So, yeah. It's done.

5 years of on and off work, and it's finally complete. It's hard to know what to feel except relief that I can finally forget about it. It's time to move on, at last.

(Also..it's not actually online yet. I'm going to have to upload it from my work computer, since my internet speed at home is terrible.)

(It alsooesn't mean I'm leaving the forums or anything, I'm still sticking around. Just felt like making a topic since I don't really have anyone else to share this with anymore)
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Re: It's done.

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Impressive compression! :D I wonder how many hours went into that? I would estimate my involvement somewhere around 15 hours. :roll: Haha!
Last edited by bjorn98009_91 on Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

I really have no idea, it's kind of worrying to think about. I'd imagine at least a month or two of solid texturing. The amount of late nights and all-nighters (including this one, right now) is insane, and there were periods where New Vision is all I would work on before a release.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Awesome.

You may not think it but I have much respect for you, well more for your one man army approach to modding DX, hard work and determination.... not you as a person, as I dont know you really. DDL too.

Awaiting upload like a parasite leecher.

Hope you stick around and continue to contribute to DX. Speaking of: Any chance you could do a better version of the sawed-off shottie? No disrespect to original author, but it lacks the same quality as the other guns in my opinion
DaveW wrote: I'm still sticking around.
Oh, didnt see that there.
pl1982
Thug

Post by pl1982 »

All I can say with complete sincerity is: THANK YOU and congratulations! =D> Honestly, DaveW, thank you so much for this. I can only imagine the kind of determination it must have took to do something like this. I, and many other Deus Ex fanatics I'm sure, greatly appreciate this. Being able to play through this masterpiece of a game with a new coat of paint is just wonderful. So yeah, that is as good as I can do with words, but honestly: thank you. Cannot wait to give my favourite game a spin through the holiday season (great timing btw!) with a new coat of paint!

-pl1982
Salk
UNATCO

Post by Salk »

I am happy about this upcoming, final release.

But honestly I am also a bit sad after reading DaveW's words, dismissing New Vision as something "to forget" about.

Well, what I know is that I won't forget it. Especially won't forget that young man that started this all when he was only 18.

Thanks, Dave. For New Vision and for sticking with us a while longer. ;)
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Cybernetic pig wrote:Speaking of: Any chance you could do a better version of the sawed-off shottie? No disrespect to original author, but it lacks the same quality as the other guns in my opinion.
Eh, I want to leave Deus Ex alone now. The annoying thing about that, like I said in the beta topic, is I did make a better Sawed Off Shotgun model when I was involved with HDTP originally back in '06. I'm sure I uploaded it to the model repository but maybe it got lost somewhere.

The problem is the HDTP weapons vary in quality a heck of a lot; some are due to engine constraints at the time and others are due to low quality texturing. The Pistol, for example, was created to a low spec which limited what Phas could do with it whereas the he LAW and GEP gun had no such limits, so I could make them (comparatively) high poly and use a 1024² texture. On the other hand, the pepper spray model is - I think - simply not as good as the original.
pl1982 wrote:All I can say with complete sincerity is: THANK YOU and congratulations! =D> Honestly, DaveW, thank you so much for this. I can only imagine the kind of determination it must have took to do something like this. I, and many other Deus Ex fanatics I'm sure, greatly appreciate this. Being able to play through this masterpiece of a game with a new coat of paint is just wonderful. So yeah, that is as good as I can do with words, but honestly: thank you. Cannot wait to give my favourite game a spin through the holiday season (great timing btw!) with a new coat of paint!

-pl1982
You're very welcome :)
Salk wrote:I am happy about this upcoming, final release.

But honestly I am also a bit sad after reading DaveW's words, dismissing New Vision as something "to forget" about.

Well, what I know is that I won't forget it. Especially won't forget that young man that started this all when he was only 1816.

Thanks, Dave. For New Vision and for sticking with us a while longer. ;)
I'm not that old!

For me, it's something that's dragged on for far too long and I frankly don't believe in old game 'remakes' anymore. I'm proud of what I've done but at the same time, I find it pointless so I'm glad to be done with it. As long as other people get some enjoyment out of it, that's reward enough for me.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

As someone (good lord there's lots more) who does get enjoyment from your work, thank you.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

DaveW wrote: Especially won't forget that young man that started this all when he was only 1816.
I'm not that old!
WTF I assumed you were in your late twenties- early thirties. 5 years on the project; You must be younger than me! I really feel like an insignificant wastrel now, cheers DaveW.

At least I have better taste in games :P
DaveW wrote:
For me, it's something that's dragged on for far too long and I frankly don't believe in old game 'remakes' anymore. I'm proud of what I've done but at the same time, I find it pointless so I'm glad to be done with it. As long as other people get some enjoyment out of it, that's reward enough for me.
Surely you gained much experience points from a project like this. I suck with computers, i'll have your "pointless" knowledge/experience please.

.....Fuck. Fuck You. :cry:
RAY16
Thug

Post by RAY16 »

Congrats on the release, Dave (and anyone who helped along the way). I doubt I'd have the patience or dedication to complete a project like this. I'll have to replay Deus Ex again with its new coat of paint after I get some other games out of the way.
fantsu
UNATCO

Post by fantsu »

Nice job.
Been so long.
Remember lurking here long time ago, and never even imagined it would take this long.
But better now that never I guess.
:giggle:

I hope someone can now create detailed instructions how to install NV and HDTP easily side by side.
Bravery is not a function of firepower.
My "Deus Ex - Conspiracy" run on emulator
Alex Jacobson: They'll have you killed. They won't even blink an eye.
JC Denton: Neither did I.
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

This is amazing. I hope HDTP will be released soon so I can replay Deus Ex in all its glory!

Kudos on getting this project out the door. I'm amazed at how some people find the time and take the effort to mod a decade old game for the benefit of the few fans which are still left. I hope we won't be your only audience though, hopefully this will persuade some new players to play DX.
kdawg88
MJ12

Post by kdawg88 »

If there's a minimal response from others as to your outstanding work, DaveW, then it should at least be an important personal achievement. I know I'd feel the same way. Well done and thankyou.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

fantsu wrote:I hope someone can now create detailed instructions how to install NV and HDTP easily side by side.
Install HDTP and NV, and in the Data Directories of Kentie's launcher select both sets of directories and it will work.

Also the installer has been uploaded and is now awaiting authorisation. I'll put together the full media post when I get home (about 5 hours) and hopefully fix up the mod's profile.

The ModDB gods are in Deus Ex's favour today; the mod is now authed and available to download. Enjoy.
fantsu
UNATCO

Post by fantsu »

nice, sadly their link to gamefront download doesn't work at the moment, but I have feeling that I get it soon.
=D>

downloading...
Bravery is not a function of firepower.
My "Deus Ex - Conspiracy" run on emulator
Alex Jacobson: They'll have you killed. They won't even blink an eye.
JC Denton: Neither did I.