The Latest - State of the project

Discussion related to the New Vision mod.

Moderator: DaveW

Re: The Latest - State of the project

Post by Guest »

So will we see New Vision this month?
:?
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

I think it was mostly the way it seemed to imply that "yah, man: not everyone's cut out for the high-octane world of video game development: it can be super hardcore. So it's good that when you inevitably fail, you've got something really easy and relaxed to fall back on: like the film industry!"

When film is also a fucking hard field to break into, and anyway: game dev isn't exactly "astronaut training" level of craziness in the first place.

If you see what I mean.
I can understand now where you thought this, Let me go on record to say that I have the utmost respect for the film industry, I've even used a lot of film methodologies in my print based work before (mainly photography) I do appreciate a well put together film and appreciate how much goes into them versus the level of your average brain dead shooter. My wording was definitely epic fail and I apologize for that.

I think all creative industries are unique in their own way, and each is as difficult to get into as the last. My post was in the intent of defending dave's decisions whilst give advice to someone whom I'm guessing has an interest in video games himself- and I regularly try to help people with this sort of thing (lots of people ask me on ModDB for advice via my PM box). It just came out totally wrong and for that I'm sorry.

Anyway thankyou for pointing this out.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Salk wrote:
DaveW wrote:It used to be that game art etc. was my main hobby because I wanted to work in the games industry (when I started this), but now I really don't care for it all that much.
Out of curiosity, would you tell us why you changed your mind and what made you?

And about updates, things might be idle on your side but perhaps your collaborators have been more productive? :smile:
In terms of art, I prefer the way old game art was created - that's how I got into it and that's what I prefer working with. Making high poly meshes to bake Normal Maps that end up looking rubbish doesn't appeal to me. Personally, I think around 2004-5 is where games reached their visual peak - everything past that looks very rendered and same-y (look at all the games built on either UE3 or Source - they tend to look the exact same).

Which, speaking of modern games, is another good point: I don't really like them. I will play some and find them a bit entertaining, but for the most part I just hate them. I don't think they have any real character - rubbish like Modern Warfare 2 just feels so similar to other games. The truly great thing about older games is they experimented with different systems - sometimes they messed up, sometimes they got it right, but either way there was true 'character' to them.

I don't really want to work making games I hate :P The only thing that interests me in games is writing, since no one in the industry seems to be able to do it.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Massive respect for that post dave ;) I couldn't agree more.
Commander Shepard

Post by Commander Shepard »

DaveW wrote:
Salk wrote:
DaveW wrote:It used to be that game art etc. was my main hobby because I wanted to work in the games industry (when I started this), but now I really don't care for it all that much.

I don't really want to work making games I hate :P The only thing that interests me in games is writing, since no one in the industry seems to be able to do it.
Did you give the Mass Effects a try?
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

ME1 has an fairly well put together story, ME2 is a bit iffy at times I think the reliance of Questions is a bit too much, nearly every reply is a question leading into another question- whereas ME1 was more a question that lead into a statement that lead into reasoning- ME2 only ever does that when you use the paragon text, the exception being renegade abilities that are more one liners and just funny to watch. But most of the time Shepard is asking questions.. and its a bit annoying lol.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Commander Shepard wrote:
DaveW wrote:
Salk wrote:

Not yet, I do have Mass Effect 2 lying around and have been meaning to try it out. I'm not one to automatically hate all modern games, I think there definitely are some cool ones - but pretty much all of them are by older studios like BioWare, Irrational etc.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

DaveW wrote:speaking of modern games, is another good point: I don't really like them. I will play some and find them a bit entertaining, but for the most part I just hate them. I don't think they have any real character
I've been worried that I've grown out of videogames. I have ****-all to say in the "What Are You Playing" thread now. New games don't interest me anymore, and it's either me or the games. At least you're working on one of the great older games, helping to bring it up to that graphical peak.
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

justanotherfan wrote:
DaveW wrote:speaking of modern games, is another good point: I don't really like them. I will play some and find them a bit entertaining, but for the most part I just hate them. I don't think they have any real character
I've been worried that I've grown out of videogames. I have ****-all to say in the "What Are You Playing" thread now. New games don't interest me anymore, and it's either me or the games. At least you're working on one of the great older games, helping to bring it up to that graphical peak.
Me too, though there have been some interesting games lately... But so far only Batman and GTAIV have been fun.
ghostdog
Thug

Post by ghostdog »

Let's stay off topic.

Really old games are even better :)
What I enjoy most is discovering old forgotten gems that are actually awesome games. I've made some "Let's Play" for anyone who wants to check them out:
Call Of Chtulhu : Shadow Of The Comet. (Tentacle action guaranteed) / Strife. (Badassery extravaganza) / Snatcher. (Snatch complete) / BloodNet (Still lost in cyberspace) / Clock Tower (Demonic ride Complete)
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

But those are on the RPGCodex, and the great Jonas keeps telling us that is the worst place in existaNCE!

;)
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Salk
UNATCO

Post by Salk »

Commander Shepard wrote:
DaveW wrote:
Salk wrote:

I personally hated Mass Effect with a vengeance (in fact I did not see it to the end and sold it). I rate it poorly.
ghostdog
Thug

Post by ghostdog »

Jaedar wrote:But those are on the RPGCodex, and the great Jonas keeps telling us that is the worst place in existaNCE!

;)
Indeed It is. :D

Oh, Jonas got the shock treatment when discussing TNM there, but most of the posters were pretty positive. It's a matter of getting used to the Anarchy.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

It's not that I don't like the RPG Codex, it's that I really don't want this community that we have here to become equally plagued by bitter elitists who complain loudly about how every game is dumbed down, not a real RPG, or whatever, just because it doesn't cater to their very own specific demands. It's not just the RPG Codex that has this problem, I think it happens to a lot of good communities of intelligent gamers, for example TTLG is suffering from the a milder case of the same problem.

I have nothing but love for ghostdog, and as he said, TNM got a pretty good response over there all things considered ;)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
ghostdog
Thug

Post by ghostdog »

I agree with you Jonas, but it's also probably a matter of us gamers getting older. Lately it's more common for me to dump a new game mid-way and start a replay of DX, than actually finish it. And then I got to bitch about it, because it's also a matter of new games being consolized dumbed down crap, gotdamit !!

Oh, and with DX3 coming up, it will be a party... :)