The Latest - State of the project

Discussion related to the New Vision mod.

Moderator: DaveW

Hashi
Silhouette

Re: The Latest - State of the project

Post by Hashi »

LOL posted as guest, but the point remains
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

DaveW wrote:I can't really say, since I have no 'input' with HDTP anymore. All the art is done, it's just up to DDL to package it which is obviously a huge task for one person with other stuff to do.
Last I heard from them, they're still working on animations. You mentioned them just having packaging to do before I heard that, so they might not be quite there yet. Still, I'm sure they talk progress/development with you. If DDL is working on the last part, I'll have to cheer him on in the HDTP forum :)
It's not all of them, about 20-30% will be missing most likely - HP and Fred have been helping out - I'll be able to give the raw compile files to anyone who wants them, in case some texture artist wants to finish off.
That's incredible, and far more than could be asked for. You took on a challenge so large that HDTP couldn't, completing the 70-80% that visually matters most, while making it possible to have a 100% replacement of the originals someday. Thanks DaveW. Deus Ex is going to look excellent on release. Thanks to the other contributors too, HP, Fred, and Mr.Cyberpunk; improving all of a game's world textures is a huge challenge, and we'll see it completed thanks to your help. With HDTP and NV in development, I've been putting off playing Deus Ex again for the longest time, and when NV releases I'll play again with the DX world looking brand new.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

justanotherfan wrote:
DaveW wrote:I can't really say, since I have no 'input' with HDTP anymore. All the art is done, it's just up to DDL to package it which is obviously a huge task for one person with other stuff to do.
Last I heard from them, they're still working on animations. You mentioned them just having packaging to do before I heard that, so they might not be quite there yet. Still, I'm sure they talk progress/development with you. If DDL is working on the last part, I'll have to cheer him on in the HDTP forum :)
Yeah, packaging consists of linking the animations from that distributed process thing HDTP did a while ago to the model, then exporting it, importing it into Deus Ex. A ridiculously tedious task, I can imagine. By no input I just meant I'm not involved in the actual process any more, I'm still in contact with the team through Huddle/MSN.

And thanks for the encouraging words. Thanks to all the community for supporting this, it's been fun :)
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

For what it's worth, almost everything that can be imported IS imported, the problem is animating it: currently all the NPCs happily carry around HDTP weapons (since 3rd person/pickup models don't need animation), but the player is stuck with originals. We need to get hands added, get 'em all rigged, and then animated.

And then test everything, of course. :-/

I'm making progress on turning that "almost everything" noted above into "actually everything", but it's hard finding the time. Also I generally end up having to do a lot of little bits and pieces here due to modellers/texturers not fully understanding the engine/import system, or (more frequently) because the engine/import system is an arsehole.

Might be hitting you up with a few minor requests sometime soon, Dave. Hope that's ok.

(btw can you still not get the latest package to work?)
Salk
UNATCO

Post by Salk »

DaveW wrote:Thanks to all the community for supporting this, it's been fun :)
You are not out of it yet! :lol:
Salk
UNATCO

Post by Salk »

DDL wrote:For what it's worth, almost everything that can be imported IS imported, the problem is animating it: currently all the NPCs happily carry around HDTP weapons (since 3rd person/pickup models don't need animation), but the player is stuck with originals. We need to get hands added, get 'em all rigged, and then animated.

And then test everything, of course. :-/

I'm making progress on turning that "almost everything" noted above into "actually everything", but it's hard finding the time. Also I generally end up having to do a lot of little bits and pieces here due to modellers/texturers not fully understanding the engine/import system, or (more frequently) because the engine/import system is an arsehole.

Might be hitting you up with a few minor requests sometime soon, Dave. Hope that's ok.

This post of yours is what people like me love to read. You are giving us an update about the progress and are also telling us what the most time consuming issue is. That piece of information is really very welcome. For testing, you can count on your people here to help in any way we can!

Keep it up! ;)

Post by Guest »

Where do i sing in for testing purposes?
:giggle:
tolknaz
Mole Person

Post by tolknaz »

You could try an aria or two right here.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Free bird!
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

DDL wrote:Might be hitting you up with a few minor requests sometime soon, Dave. Hope that's ok.

Sure, I should have the time. And no, I still couldn't get the package to work. I installed the demo then copied the new files over the originals but I still only got the demo weapons.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

DaveW wrote:Yeah, packaging consists of linking the animations from that distributed process thing HDTP did a while ago to the model, then exporting it, importing it into Deus Ex. A ridiculously tedious task, I can imagine.
Oh, ok. A fan like me can be completely ignorant of how the magic happens. When I read packaging, I thought in terms of "gift wrap". Actually, I thought about the installer package and compression and such. So much to be animated and done, that is a huge job considering how many things were done.
DDL wrote:the problem is animating it...We need to get hands added, get 'em all rigged, and then animated. And then test everything, of course. :-\... a lot of little bits and pieces.
I'm making progress...but it's hard finding the time
It is good to know what's happening.

I honestly can't imagine what DX will look like to play through again. It'll be an exciting time. Thanks for working on it.

There won't be a shortage of testing volunteers.

I just noticed that new emoticon. Sorry about that. It's an ellipsis ;-)
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

I've just been looking through the remaining textures to be done. I've selected the most important and started working on them - there's about 100 in total, of which I'm about 10-15% through. Some of them are fairly big and others are minor. Once they're done New Vision should be essentially finished, most of the main textures used in game will be done.

For the final release I figure I'll just release two files, one for general use and another containing the compile code as well as some of the base textures I used for the majority of the textures, incase anyone wants to carry on the work. Most of the textures left are rarely-used tech textures, though.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

=D>
I Don't know what to say..
This brings tears to my eyes. :drugged:
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
fantsu
UNATCO

Post by fantsu »

WOW!
When, when, when!?!?!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: =D>
Bravery is not a function of firepower.
My "Deus Ex - Conspiracy" run on emulator
Alex Jacobson: They'll have you killed. They won't even blink an eye.
JC Denton: Neither did I.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

fantsu wrote:WOW!
When, when, when!?!?!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: =D>
When Its Done. ;)
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.