The Latest - State of the project

Discussion related to the New Vision mod.

Moderator: DaveW

justanotherfan
Illuminati

Re: The Latest - State of the project

Post by justanotherfan »

True enough. Just overstating it for effect. People who care about numbers and cost will be impressed. I think Deus Ex is a Direct X 7.3 (or something) game. Didn't mean it would be a big disadvantage for New Vision; apparently I have a DX10 card myself, so I don't care ;-)
Nameless Voice
UNATCO

Post by Nameless Voice »

$150? Aren't all cards are DX10 compatible these days? Even with New Vision and HDTP I don't think Deus Ex will need one which is very powerful by today's standards. It will probably work fine on one a third of that price.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

friend of mine bought a GF 9500GS for about $40 the other day. DX10 compatible.

If you just want something that'll run DX10 and Win7 the GF9 series is the cheapest and best path to choose. If you want something though that can run anything you want at high FPS I'd suggest the GTX series. Most people have stated the GF9's still run modern games pretty easily at high FPS.

Post by Guest »

GeForce 9's are enough for everything.
I bough GTS250, and I'm not happy with it.
My good 'ol GeForce made everything this does.
:?
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Hey, a guest. Cheers

I've a 8800GT. It's the later G92 core IIRC, so it's been more than good enough for me, but it certainly isn't their latest product. I'm happy with lower temperatures since it's running fanless with a big heatsink. Cheap too, at the time.
xystus
Mole Person

Post by xystus »

Can't wait for this! =D>

I really hope we get some more updates soon. Maybe some more previews? :giggle:

Thanks for all your work!
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Any post-8 series will run DX10, though obviously a lot of slightly older cards will run New Vision just fine. The main thing is the VRAM - I'd recommend above 256mb. I haven't found a need for any better than my 9800GTX 512mb, and I run 1920X1200 resolution games. Very, very rarely have I had performance issues running games on their highest settings.

Updates are non-existent, Uni work has completely raped my free time and what little free time I have, I haven't been in the mood to do anything game related. It used to be that game art etc. was my main hobby because I wanted to work in the games industry (when I started this), but now I really don't care for it all that much. My time is spent on my video projects as opposed to New Vision etc.
Salk
UNATCO

Post by Salk »

DaveW wrote:It used to be that game art etc. was my main hobby because I wanted to work in the games industry (when I started this), but now I really don't care for it all that much.
Out of curiosity, would you tell us why you changed your mind and what made you?

And about updates, things might be idle on your side but perhaps your collaborators have been more productive? :smile:
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Salk wrote:
DaveW wrote:It used to be that game art etc. was my main hobby because I wanted to work in the games industry (when I started this), but now I really don't care for it all that much.
Out of curiosity, would you tell us why you changed your mind and what made you?
Me and Dave use to talk about the industry all the time when I first started working as a QA, I tried to convince him but to be honest he always seemed interested in film, even when he was modding. Obviously the thing that interested him the most was going to win out as a career.

I think though that its probably for the best to get into other mediums first before making the step into video games, it helps prepare you and gives you something to fall back on when things go bad.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Whether or not it was intentional, that was one of the most offensively patronising things I have ever read.

[-(
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Maybe you read it out of context. I was trying to say if anyone wanted to get into video games its always good to have something to fall back on. And that Dave was always interested in Video, I Think he'll have a great career in that industry in time.

My reference was to the advice I gave him around when I lost my job, that things do go bad in video games and you need to always be looking into new skills to adapt to your career. In other words, a broader range of skills will go a long way in any industry. It was advice to anyone reading it thinking about what they wanted to do.

I don't understand what I said that could have come off as offensive.

Edit: (after purposely scanning my comments for flamebait)

If you read it as I think Dave was wasting his time and should just do video games you are totally wrong and I have no idea why anyone would jump to this conclusion. Rather the other way around, the way I was trying to say it was, Video Games are a rocky boat at even the best of times, what he has learned from video games can aid him in his studies into visual effects (Since a lot of the techniques I've seen him use can definitely be done in film). If you understood what I was up to right now you'd understand that what I meant was moving into other mediums was a good idea because its rather difficult to survive in the industry (FYI I'm moving into print because of the skills I've learned from video games and multimedia, eventually I'll move back into video games.)- so anything that can keep you happy and motivative creatively towards achieving your life's ambitions is a good thing.

We always talked about careers all the time and when he told me about getting into film I was extremely happy for him because it was basically what he wanted to do. Myself I was just curious to know why he felt video games weren't as interesting.

I think I worded it pretty wrong to be honest. The last line should say "Should anyone want to get into video games then its probably a good idea to go through other mediums first". I've not been very well the past few days so thinking is a bit of a problem as I type.

EDIT2: I'd also not post something that attacked film in any way because I know all to well that it'd bring down the wrath of Jonas :lol:, I apologize if I have offended anyone, especially to Dave.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:I'd also not post something that attacked film in any way because I know all to well that it'd bring down the wrath of Jonas :lol:
Eh? Why do you say that?
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Hmm.. Perhaps I'm mistaken. I've been around a lot of forums since I left OTP's. I just recall a discussion we had ages back on Story Vs Gameplay- which a lot of the story elements were derived from film and literature, suffice to say, it went on for a while lol. It was a while back anyway so I could be mistaken on how it went. Disreguard that then.
DDL

Post by DDL »

I think it was mostly the way it seemed to imply that "yah, man: not everyone's cut out for the high-octane world of video game development: it can be super hardcore. So it's good that when you inevitably fail, you've got something really easy and relaxed to fall back on: like the film industry!"

When film is also a fucking hard field to break into, and anyway: game dev isn't exactly "astronaut training" level of craziness in the first place.

If you see what I mean.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

DDL wrote:game dev isn't exactly "astronaut training" level of craziness in the first place.
Nah it's more like rocket science ;)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine