Legacy Thread

Discussion related to the New Vision mod.

Moderator: DaveW

DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

New shots showing some of the Command tunnels and some Paris textures:

(Need to fix the colour a bit on this one)
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

The design and detail of the wall texture in the first shot is excellent, though a bit too green.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

How the bleedin' Hell did you get the radioactive goo texture to look like that? Where are the jaggies? What the crap did you do to that texture, man!?
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Jonas wrote:How the bleedin' Hell did you get the radioactive goo texture to look like that? Where are the jaggies? What the crap did you do to that texture, man!?
I can't tell if that's a positive or negative comment! :)

I selected all the non-purple bits, set it as an alpha - Gaussian blurred it, modified the levels so it smooths out the silhouette. Then I selected that, Gaussian blurred it a bit more so the edges fade to black, went into the layers and made a light/dark Grey clouds layer, applied some lighting using the alpha as a bump map (so there's a slight fringe on the edge) - and then used chrome. After that I just used a green overlay to make it green.
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

SnipaMasta wrote:Don't get the immersion part though...surely having a far better looking and certiantly far more fitting texture (in respect to the theme of the level, as Jetset has said) will INCREASE immersion?
It probably only lessens immersion for people like me.

When I look at it I'm impressed, and I'll certainly enjoy playing it, but in no way will I feel like I'm looking at a 13th century French cathedral, certainly not a Templar one. Since I'm told in the game it is a 13th century Templar built French cathedral that's a problem for immersion.

If you're told you're standing at a fictional Cathedral in a Paris arrondissement that lacks Cathedrals you accept it and remain immersed because if you are incapable of doing that kind of thing you'd have given up on the game long before. If you're told that your standing in front of a cathedral from a specific region and time period defined in large part by its style of architecture and you're looking at something that goes flatly against and in fact looks like nothing whatsoever built around there around then on that scale, well then you just marvel at how cool and atmospheric it looks, and try to ignore the lack of immersion.

Having been to the real Paris, and seen what it looks like first hand, I can tell you that failing to look like Paris is not a bad thing. You're right, what you have made does look far nicer than styles likely to be seen there.

To return to the loss of immersion for a bit, I think it would only effect people who have had occasion to see firsthand what French Cathedrals built in the 13th century look like. I really don't mind though, I prefer Italian Cathedrals anyway (which is one of the reasons I tend to recommend Italy over France.)

-

Sorry for the slow response.
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

I direct you, Chris, to DDL's post. :P
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

Jetsetlemming wrote:I direct you, Chris, to DDL's post. :P
Have you ever seen the type of veneer they put over cathedrals at that point in history? I have. DDL's post is true, and there are many notable examples of that kind of thing, but it is the wrong place and the wrong time for it to come out looking like that.

That wouldn't prevent others from later changing it of course. I actually was going to add a footnote to my post to the effect that it is conceivable that the 1918 renovators of the cathedral decided to side it in the style of the new texture, but since that goes against all of my (admittedly limited) knowledge of the kinds of renovations done in that time period I decided to leave it out.

Remember something though, I'm not saying to change it, I like it as it is.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Jetsetlemming wrote:I direct you, Chris, to DDL's post. :P
I direct him to MY POST SAYING NOT TO DO THIS. Chris, I'm not going to change it - and your arguing is not going to change my decision on this. If you don't like it, don't use the texture pack, and that's that.
ZylonBane
UNATCO

Post by ZylonBane »

SnipaMasta wrote:Chris, I'm not going to change it
That's too bad, because it looks ridiculous.
ZylonBane's opinions do not represent those of the management.
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

SnipaMasta wrote:
Jonas wrote:How the bleedin' Hell did you get the radioactive goo texture to look like that? Where are the jaggies? What the crap did you do to that texture, man!?
Jonas' comment is mean to be very, very positive :D That goo looks freaking awesome. I want to roll in it.
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Could a mod just remove Zylon's/Chris' posts on this page please? I warned them not to continue this and they still continue to put it down. If it looks ridiculous Zylon, guess what - DON'T USE THE TEXTURE PACK. Christ, do something nice for the community and some people just have to act like unappreciative little brats (talking mainly to Zylon here).
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

Trestkon wrote:
SnipaMasta wrote:
Jonas' comment is mean to be very, very positive :D That goo looks freaking awesome. I want to roll in it.
XD
Also, I'd imagine that a Knights Templar facility that was frequented by "rotheschildes and rockefellers" would be kept up to perfection constantly, and they would certainly update the plain brick look of the original building to the current cool texture. 8) Bling bling, baby.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

It does seem silly to have Solomon's Temple in the shape of a cathedral, but this new project isn't interested in complete accuracy to DX or technical details, but rather the visuals. I think everything that needs to be said has been said about the cathedral texture. The people who are saying it is inaccurate are also saying it looks really great with this style, so the new project succeeded perfectly.

Man, HDTP is going to be necessary with this texture project. I keep seeing horribly ugly models laying around in these screenshots of great looking environments. In the toxic goo screenshot, that looks like new crates and barrels, very cool.
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

SnipaMasta wrote:Could a mod just remove Zylon's/Chris' posts on this page please? I warned them not to continue this and they still continue to put it down. If it looks ridiculous Zylon, guess what - DON'T USE THE TEXTURE PACK. Christ, do something nice for the community and some people just have to act like unappreciative little brats (talking mainly to Zylon here).
As a general policy, I dislike deleting posts. However, I *will* delete any further pointless posts.

Let's keep the suggestions and criticism succinct and actually useful, guys.
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Snipa, You are a fucking LEGEND! Those recent screenshots are fucking amazing and I hope to god I can do the same standards. Green GOOOO.

Screenshot 1 is excelent. I love the colour.

The tiles on Screenshot 2 are brilliant too. Would you like me to fix that map in the background btw?