Maan ShadowCode was flippin' tough.

Discuss The Nameless Mod in all its glory, unrestricted by the spoiler prohibition in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

r00tb33r
MJ12

Maan ShadowCode was flippin' tough.

Post by r00tb33r »

And I hate camera effects.
Dead-eye
X-51

Re: Maan ShadowCode was flippin' tough.

Post by Dead-eye »

Yeah I must complain that that was too hard. So Aside from the random crashing and freezes I would call this the first flaw. The second would be the the shear insane difficulty of jumping back through the lava pit after going to DXI.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I apologize for letting that into the release version, some of our testers did grumble about the unfairness of specific traps, but we were reluctant to make any drastic changes that late in the game. Clearly this mission is pretty broken, so we're giving it an overhaul for version 1.0.1 - adding more EMP weapons, cutting three of the traps, and nerfnig the hoverbots. Sorry to put you through that.

I hope the final sequence in the mission at least partially made up for it.
Even if you do hate camera effects ;)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

I'm just annoyed you had to water down the fan traps. Don't get me wrong, the bugs they were causing were certainly worth killing. I know how impossible that map was with one such bug, but after being pulled towards the fan rushing to kill it before it killed me, simply being able to stand there, and take my time blowing the thing up doesn't seem right.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Yeah that's a shame, but it's essentially a tech limitation. Finding an actual work-around would've been tremendously hacky.

And now we've killed the fire trap and the turret hallway too, and we've made the electricity room entirely optional (you can go in there if you want to grab some items, but otherwise you can just walk right past it). We're doing this because obstacles where you have to take damage to get through are just plain poor design. Again: My fault.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Kayl
Thug

Post by Kayl »

I'm completely stuck in this mission, I've just shutdown the 5 servers, and now I'm in a square room with somekind of shaft in the middle and there are 4 electronic panels around the room. The only way to enter the shaft is by going through fire lasers (the guy who invented those needs to be shot btw). Using my multitools on the electronic panels only seems to remove the platform in the shaft on the lower level. I've found a way to go through the lasers by putting a small crate in front of it, but I doubt that's how we're supposed to do it (or it's extremely far-fetched and possibly leads to being stuck if you throw the crates down the shaft). Anyway even if I manage to go through the lasers I'll just end up on the lower level where there are four more electronic panels which do the exact same thing as the ones on the upper level. So is there something broken or did I miss something ?

PS : As it is this is possibly the worst level in any game ever. But it's great you're aware of it and fixing it. The rest of the mod is ace though.
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

Climb up the shaft.
g77gg
Mole Person

Post by g77gg »

Can someone post a solution to that sliding puzzle or maybe a way to bypass it if one exists?
Moonbo
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Moonbo »

You can always hack it if you have master level hacking.
But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.
-Sun Myung Moon
r00tb33r
MJ12

Post by r00tb33r »

Kayl wrote:The only way to enter the shaft is by going through fire lasers (the guy who invented those needs to be shot btw). Using my multitools on the electronic panels only seems to remove the platform in the shaft on the lower level. I've found a way to go through the lasers by putting a small crate in front of it, but I doubt that's how we're supposed to do it (or it's extremely far-fetched and possibly leads to being stuck if you throw the crates down the shaft). Anyway even if I manage to go through the lasers I'll just end up on the lower level where there are four more electronic panels which do the exact same thing as the ones on the upper level. So is there something broken or did I miss something ?
I did the crate. Climb up once you have the platforms removed. No point in going down from what I've gathered.
g77gg wrote:Can someone post a solution to that sliding puzzle or maybe a way to bypass it if one exists?
It's actually about the easiest part of the whole thing. Think for a second, understand how the pieces move. It's easier than you think, and very few moves.
r00tb33r
MJ12

Post by r00tb33r »

Jonas wrote:Yeah that's a shame, but it's essentially a tech limitation. Finding an actual work-around would've been tremendously hacky.

And now we've killed the fire trap and the turret hallway too, and we've made the electricity room entirely optional (you can go in there if you want to grab some items, but otherwise you can just walk right past it). We're doing this because obstacles where you have to take damage to get through are just plain poor design. Again: My fault.
If you mean the room with the boxes being set on fire was actually quite cool... One problem though, and that's prolly a limitation. While you don't want the fire to burn out, I'd make the boxes destructible, like clearing them out with a couple LAMs, that way it's not a time dependent sequence.
Kayl
Thug

Post by Kayl »

chris the cynic wrote:Climb up the shaft.
Thanks I would never have thought of that. This whole room was very strange. The end of the mission was awesome though, I loved that small puzzle on the computer.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

r00tb33r wrote:If you mean the room with the boxes being set on fire was actually quite cool... One problem though, and that's prolly a limitation. While you don't want the fire to burn out, I'd make the boxes destructible, like clearing them out with a couple LAMs, that way it's not a time dependent sequence.
It was a nice setpiece, but it's totally shit from a gameplay point of view, and it's now gone. The dynamics are still there, but ShadowCode never starts a fire, and if you start one yourself, the boxes will actually burn down. You can also blow them up.

We've also removed the gold lasers - using a crate was the right solution, but as you said, you can get stuck by throwing it into the core by accident.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Helios
Thug

Post by Helios »

I'm completely stuck in the room with 2 spiderbots and a storage cupboard. Can see server 6 up on the balcony but have no idea how to get up there.

The mod is awesome by the way, got a real surprise when I entered the new complex and now both the lamas and goats hate me, didn't see that coming!
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

You need to backtrack once you have the password for the door to server 6: Get back to the area with the moving lights and find the door out to the balchony.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine