Athena. NICE!

Discuss The Nameless Mod in all its glory, unrestricted by the spoiler prohibition in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Re: Athena. NICE!

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Effective but crash-prone in 1.0.2. I wouldn't advise it until 1.0.3 is out ;).

Targeting + fleeing Athena (bring her to 5% HP or so) still is the easiest solution I find.
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Hassat Hunter wrote:Effective but crash-prone in 1.0.2. I wouldn't advise it until 1.0.3 is out ;)
I'm not sure it's getting fixed, seeing how nobody on the team can replicate it and no bug is apparent in the code :-k
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Whiplash
Thug

Post by Whiplash »

I just waxed the Goat Leader for the first time yesterday without cheating. Here's what I did:

1: Load up with guns AND gas grenades before going into the temple. Upgrade the Speed Aug and the Energy Shields if you can as it will help.
Place the following items on your toolbelt: ("must have" items in Bold)
ZP/Sniper rifle
Your favourite Assault/Combat weapon
Gas Grenade
Biocell
Medkit

2: Go into the courtyard about halfway between the lasers and her respawning room.
3: Snipe her, non fatally, from that point.
4: Whip out your gas grenades and turn on your Speed aug. Run upstairs and go onto the bridge.
5: When Athena catches up with you, throw some of the gas grenades in her direction.
6: With Athena frozen by the gas, jump off the bridge into the room with the 4 valves.
7: Leave the Speed aug on while you run up to the 4 valves and close them. quickly. run back and wax her with your preferred combat gun.
8: Go back and claim your reward from Beefman (if you're allied to the Llamas).
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Jonas wrote:I'm not sure it's getting fixed, seeing how nobody on the team can replicate it and no bug is apparent in the code :-k
Well, that's... odd. Seeing how it happens 100% of the cases here, and with me several others I already noticed.

Do take note it only happens with the COMBAT Athena, "Normal" Athena doesn't mind being set on fire... :-k
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Yeah we know.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

So, I had to fight Athena again and tried some more. I put her on fire.

When the fire died down, to my surprise... she continued to fight me again; no crash. :-k That's not what I remember. So I set her on fire again... similar result. So I shot her, and put her new 'copy' on fire. And yes; there the crash was I expected. Some further testing showed me similar results all the time.

So apparently the first itteration of the combat Athena (with the key) can be safely set on fire, making the "set her on fire, then turn the valves" strategy far more viable than (I) made ought to be before. But further itterations surely cannot...
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Thanks for the further info, I'll pass it along to the programmers.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Bulzeeb
Thug

Post by Bulzeeb »

It's been a while since I killed Athena (I almost always side with the Goats) but as I recall I just used my speed aug to avoid her, as her weapons are useless beyond close range, turned off all the valves, and then killed her with violence. A lot of it. I probably activated Ballistic Protection too, but I don't think it was necessary since the Assault Shotgun can't hit crap beyond point blank.

I believe it was on Fragile, so it's not like I was just tanking the shots either.
"In the end? Nothing ends, Adrian. Nothing ever ends."
Kee715
Illuminati

Post by Kee715 »

I think that I shouldst say that I have lit Athena on fire (With 1.0.1, that was before I updated) and killed her (After the fire went out), with no crash.

I am not sure if it helps but I am using WinXP Media Center Edition with SP3, 382MBs of RAM, with a Dual Core Intel processor. I am not sure why I never got a crash there as I ALWAYS set her on fire, and she ALWAYS gets extinguished BEFORE I kill her. I shall play again and see if I get a crash, but it has been a while since I played. (Played to where I got bored, it happens to me a lot.)
Eddy Way
Thug

Post by Eddy Way »

i got her into the room with the security console and shot her through the hole in the window.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Hahahaha! That's an awesome solution :D
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Lien
Thug

Post by Lien »

I must admit Athena has been my favourite Battle, she is awesome.

I like playing the Thief games where you have sneak around and doing this to Athena makes for some interesting gameplay.

Make some noise to distract her, turn off all the valves, then let battle commence, try using a pistol only.

My next weapon to try is the Crossbow. :D
Whiplash
Thug

Post by Whiplash »

gas grenades FTW!
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Lure her to your hacked turrets.

She triggers the lasers, alarm goes off, turrets wipe her :P.
Chris Rosenkreutz
NSF

Post by Chris Rosenkreutz »

Hassat Hunter wrote:Lure her to your hacked turrets.

She triggers the lasers, alarm goes off, turrets wipe her :P.
She's got the speed aug and the the turret won't hit her until she's in the corridor. If you stand still at the back, there's still enough time for her to whip out the flamethrower and light you. If you run away, she'll run past the turret so fast it hardly scratches her. Yes, it makes it easier to shoot her but not by a lot.

I played this with shifter, which gives skill points for kills, and you can get unlimited skill points here. It's hardly an exploit though as she's one of the harder bosses in the game. I wanted to get Master computer skill so I could read her email (well hidden, no password I could find, master skill needed: there had to be something interesting on the computer, right? Apparently not). It took some reloading to get there with pistols and help from the turret. Maybe it will be too easy when the fire crash is fixed.

The turret doesn't help you get to the valves at all.