Goat Temple Secret...

Discuss The Nameless Mod in all its glory, unrestricted by the spoiler prohibition in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

AgentSmithereens
Silhouette

Re: Goat Temple Secret...

Post by AgentSmithereens »

Jonas wrote:I've already said too much.
Well you know what this means ... The Feather Treatment!

JizzyJeff
UNATCO

Post by JizzyJeff »

If Jonas were still talking about it I would ask whether it can be found without cheating.
My name is not Jeff.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Oh absolutely.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
AgentSmithereens
Silhouette

I'm thinking it's something abstract, like an email or a conversation (e.g. summon jonas). I doubt it's a bonus map since there doesn't seem to be anything within the game files.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Jonas wrote:
Jaedar wrote:I beleive someone has already found it and just not realized it. This is even more likely since the secret ostensibly makes no sense, and is therefore more likely to be ignored.
Nope, as I said, this is the most obviously secret secret in the game. If you find this one, you're definitely going to know you've found a secret.

That said, it's certainly possible somebody who doesn't visit these forums has found it and just not told anybody.
That is based on the assumption that someone could play TNM and not want to deliver a personal thanks to the devs. And that is just crazy talk Jonas.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

Jonas wrote:
AgentSmithereens wrote:Well I didn't technically cheat to it.
Yeah but you weren't the first guy to find it, I believe Chris the Cynic was. And he was ghosting around at the time.
Yes, for I am a cheater.

Though, and memories are muddled now so this could be wrong, I think I actually figured out what should have been necessary to find it legitimately before then. At any rate, for the longest time I knew exactly where the room was (cheater that I was) but thought I had already tried the thing you do to open it and that it had not worked. Which meant that I spent a positively absurd amount of time looking for something else to open that damned place up.

The moral of the story: double check things. Just because you think, "I tried that and it didn't work," doesn't mean that you shouldn't try it again just to be sure.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

chris the cynic wrote:

The moral of the story: double check things. Just because you think, "I tried that and it didn't work," doesn't mean that you shouldn't try it again just to be sure.
Good advice, someone said something similar about searching as well. Sometimes you think you have covered everything, but you have only searched/explored the same area repeatedly and not everywhere in the map.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Well, anyone up to combing all maps in the editor?
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

There are so many little secrets in TNM ..
Movie References, Secret Convasations ect.

Just reading through these forums makes me realsie that I have missed soo much and I've played through the mod several times.

I'ma have to play though the mod Again (several times) in the Summer when my Exams are Over :mrgreen:
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
AgentSmithereens
Silhouette

Hassat Hunter wrote:Well, anyone up to combing all maps in the editor?
If the secret's what I think it is, I'm afraid that this might be a complete waste of time. But you gotta do what you gotta do...
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

AgentSmithereens wrote:
Hassat Hunter wrote:Well, anyone up to combing all maps in the editor?
If the secret's what I think it is, I'm afraid that this might be a complete waste of time. But you gotta do what you gotta do...
Jonas mentioned on another thread that it wasn't part of the fiction of the game IIRC. So I'll agree with it being something abstract.
AgentSmithereens
Silhouette

Which thread? I suppose the one where the idea of this secret first originated?
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

I think it's in the last couple of pages of Hassat's walk-through thread.
Grammatolatry
MJ12

Post by Grammatolatry »

...Damn I'm curious now. Can you [Jonas] give us any hints as to where it is located?
wink wonk
AgentSmithereens
Silhouette

Ok, another clue:
Jonas wrote:Also I can't stop myself from mentioning that there's still a secret in the game that nobody has discovered yet. I don't blame you all though, it's fucking ridiculously hidden. It really is a secret, its existence makes no sense within the fiction of the game, which is why I never really liked it, but now I must admit I'm kinda happy that it's remained undiscovered. For the same reason, I'm not giving you any further clues. You're on your own on this one, suckers!
I just tried to search the maps in the editor, looked through about 10 (up to 20_NSC.dx), but gave up quite quickly. I did however find one 'secret' I'd never found before - in Goat City, there's a rock you can frob which leads to some money and weapon mods on day 1, and some ammo on day 2.

I think to get to the bottom of this quest, we need to determine what a 'secret' is, or at least what Jonas thinks it is. It would seem that it's got nothing to do with little hiding places for goodies (like the one mentioned above), but rather something more abstract, such as a Narcissus meta-event. If it's got nothing to do with Narcissus, then I'll be really surprised. (It might therefore be a good idea to go to conedit and look for all of Narcissus' conversations?) From the top of my head, we should be looking for something along the lines of:

- the meta-events
- any reference to TNM, e.g. the 'TNM released!' article on all the newspapers, the OTP symbol on the keyboards, the TNM OST CD etc
- references to random characters, e.g. Smike/Klystron Project in ABI
- hidden conversations, e.g. 'summon jonas'