Maan ShadowCode was flippin' tough.

Discuss The Nameless Mod in all its glory, unrestricted by the spoiler prohibition in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Dead-eye
X-51

Re: Maan ShadowCode was flippin' tough.

Post by Dead-eye »

Epifols wrote: Also a quick question, in the caves when jumping above the lava, is the guy rambling on so that the player could not quicksave/save?
Yeah I hated that too.

The grid puzzles I found fairly easy but maybe that's because like Jonas' said "I'm fucking awsome" :lol: No, no, what you should try is moving the girds one square at a time instead of all the squares and see what options that opens up for you. Hope that helps.
JC12
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by JC12 »

I loved the ShadowCode level too!

It wasn't impossibly hard, but the fact that it was difficult did feel like the AI was throwing everything at me which it should feel like. An AI which has control over absolutely everything in the facility should be able to kill you easily.

And awesome job on the bit where you upload ShadowC to your Brain. Made me feel disorientated as hell!

"William Gibson Points Awarded" :mrgreen:
r00tb33r
MJ12

Post by r00tb33r »

Epifols wrote:Also a quick question, in the caves when jumping above the lava, is the guy rambling on so that the player could not quicksave/save?
Well as I understand if you didn't give him your HUD access codes, you won't have that problem... But devs like that char a lot for some reason.
jellyfish
NSF

Post by jellyfish »

I just ghosted over the lava cavern. If I'd want to have a jumping challenge I'd play the tomb raider.
r00tb33r
MJ12

Post by r00tb33r »

jellyfish wrote:I just ghosted over the lava cavern. If I'd want to have a jumping challenge I'd play the tomb raider.
It wasn't that bad actually...
Dead-eye
X-51

Post by Dead-eye »

jellyfish wrote:I just ghosted over the lava cavern. If I'd want to have a jumping challenge I'd play the tomb raider.
I ghosted on the way back. Although I feel bad for cheating.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I hereby absolve anybody cheating past the DXI jumping puzzle of all blame.

I fucking hate jumping puzzles.

"But Jonas, why did you put it in there, then?"

This, people, is what happens when you give your level designers too much free reign. And if you think this particular jumping puzzle is bad, you should've seen the one after the threads control room that we replaced with an elevator. Holy hell that was a crazy jumping puzzle - extremely impressive in its way, but mostly fantastically annoying.

Goddamn jumping puzzles.

(But Beeblequix, if you read this: No hard feelings - you had so many great ideas, I forgive you for a couple of terrible jumping puzzles.)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
LTKJAY
Thug

Post by LTKJAY »

DO NOT TOUCH ANY TRAP! I absolutely loved the entire experience Jonas, some people were just too lazy! I didn't even find it that hard, with the turret room I used my brains (legs) and used the speed aug. The jumping puzzle with the retracting and extending platforms was immense. I proved the lollerskates to be useful and used them to quickly get past the laser room by crashing to jump over the 3rd laser.

But yes, here are my complaints:
  • nerf the hoverbots, they were a waste of my time and my ammo.
  • in the 'Shodan room' as I like to call it (the green room with 4 bypass stations) I didn't know for 15 whole minutes that the object in the center was a ladder... maybe when you bypass all 4 of the stations and the bottom/top opens up maybe you can add lighting to make people notice the change?
  • the upload of ShadowCode in your brain, this is a complaint but I do not want you to change it: it gave me a nosebleed when he swirled. Awesome
Gunpowder, Gelatine
Dynamite with a laser beam
Guaranteed to blow your mind
Anytime
chrisssf
NSF

Post by chrisssf »

Hoverbots were way too annoying, i had to run past most of them.

The escape-esque puzzle i loved, how you guys implemented it into tnm(and other games like choose your own adventure (which i havent played fully), tetris .. pong etc). the only problem i had was knowing you could only move horizontal pieces horizontally, etc. apart from that, its a fairly easy puzzle cause if you get stuck theres only a few combinations you can go through before stumbling something that looked different than before.

overall, the damn misson was pretty tough, the fire room especially and the Mission impossible room pissed me off a little cause it jibbed me in the end 3 times before i could actually get through haha. in the server 6 room, with the middle shaft, did those electronic boxes on the wall actually do anything? i went through all of them just in case...
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

chrisssf wrote:in the server 6 room, with the middle shaft, did those electronic boxes on the wall actually do anything? i went through all of them just in case...
There are 4 panels on each level, you have to disable 4 in total (doesn't matter which ones) to open the door so you can go up to the final level.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
ZIGS
NSF

Post by ZIGS »

Ok, I'm stuck. I just disabled server nº5 and don't know what to do. There's a door nest to the server, when I approach it it makes this humming noise and the lights dim down but I can't open the door. I think I AM supposed to go through that door, since there's nowhere else to go.
And BTW, I'm loving this quest and it's not as hard as you people say (at least so far :) )
jellyfish
NSF

Post by jellyfish »

Which was #5 again (need to play many times before you can memorize entire campaign)?

ShadowCode was tough only on the 1st run, mostly because of hoverbots and fire/firelaser traps. On a 2nd run it was pretty easy, I wouldn't change anything. Mybe just give a bit more info on what is waiting ahead so you could be more prepared.
JC_Helios
X-51

Post by JC_Helios »

ZIGS wrote:Ok, I'm stuck. I just disabled server nº5 and don't know what to do. There's a door nest to the server, when I approach it it makes this humming noise and the lights dim down but I can't open the door. I think I AM supposed to go through that door, since there's nowhere else to go.
And BTW, I'm loving this quest and it's not as hard as you people say (at least so far :) )
use the green door to walk on the gratings above where you just fought those hover drones. Once you reach a point where you have to jump DO NOT JUMP! Instead go back to that door again, and it should open. If that doesn't work be sure to use your speed aug to break your fall.(and watch out for hover bots if you didn't kill them all

Difficulty: The difficulty was alright, only broken thing seemed to be the hover bots, but fortunately I had like 3-4 scrambler grenades, and my hover bots always performed admirably, taking out 2-3 of their comrades for me.
Last edited by JC_Helios on Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
ZIGS
NSF

Post by ZIGS »

Thanks, that worked. Also, what's the problem with the hoverbots, you can dodge them and you also pick up grenades for the machine gun on that area, which can take them out in one shot. Not to mention scramble and EMP grenades that you might eventually have. I honestly thought it was alright
LTKJAY
Thug

Post by LTKJAY »

For my next walkthrough: do I visit ShadowCode when I work for Scara?
Gunpowder, Gelatine
Dynamite with a laser beam
Guaranteed to blow your mind
Anytime