A few questions about TNM's setting...(fan sequel)

Discuss The Nameless Mod in all its glory, unrestricted by the spoiler prohibition in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Mr. Freeze
Mole Person

A few questions about TNM's setting...(fan sequel)

Post by Mr. Freeze »

Hi. I am a writer and aspiring game designer who loves TNM dearly, especially the world that OTP has created. To the extent that I am currently writing/preproducing another mod in TNM's universe (no it doesn't use the Deus Ex engine or even the Unreal engine).

To that end, I have a few questions about TNM's setting. If anyone from the development team or even a few "in-the-know" individuals can help me out here, it'd be greatly appreciated. I'm aiming for consistency, so I want as few people going "oh no, that wasn't in TNM" or "that doesn't make sense in the TNM universe".

1. Is it possible for a non-staff member to create additional sections of a website? How stable would they be? (The idea I had was a vast landscape made of metal...which is really a gigantic machine, powering the coding that keeps the landscape together..among other, more nefarious purposes. The deeper you go, the more bizarre and complicated it becomes).

2. Does WorldCorp have research locations/regional headquarters in other websites? Moreso, would WorldCorp even still be around in 2011, endings aside?

3. Seeing as firewalls are physical beings, can viruses also be humanoid? Can a virus gain sentience?

6. How was the Goat City connected to Forum City? Was it a BSP hole? Or something else? (I don't think this was stated in game besides "Well, it just is". Correct me if I'm wrong)

7. Why does everyone care about what happens online? Does the real world even exist anymore, or does everyone live online like in The Matrix?

8. How is hacking portrayed? Can a hacker make things appear out of literal thin air (it IS the internet, after all), or is it still all on computers?

9. As a correlation, are special weapons like the PHAT Rifle programmed? Or just built with some funky tech?

10. Is "Planet Gamespy" literal? Is the internet some bigass galaxy, and Gamespy only a single planet?

And before anyone responds, I'll give a few details of what I have planned:

1. The year is 2012. The game takes place throughout most of December, from the 5th to the 21st.

2. It is still abbreviated "TNM", but the title itself is different. The title is "The Natural Man" after the protagonist, Nathan Hudson AKA "Payne".

3. It uses the Doom Engine, specifically the Skulltag Source Port. Yeah I know, it's not Deus Ex. Reason being that Doom is very easy to mod, in contrast to Deus Ex/Unreal Engine 1. Well that, and I'm not only a Doom community member, but a Doom modder myself. Best to go with what you know.

4. Similar to TNM, The Natural Man involves a forum community: Doomworld.

5. The story references TNM a few times, but is being carefully written as not to step on any of the endings specifically. So basically the opposite of Invisible War.

6. No characters from TNM will return. Unless Jonas wants to act again...
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: A few questions about TNM's setting...(fan sequel)

Post by Jonas »

Hi. I'll try to answer your questions as best I can. Note that while I am responsible for most of the thematic and narrative consistency in TNM, anything that isn't expressly mentioned anywhere in the game cannot be regarded as canon - even if I state that something works a certain way, if you can't find any mention of it in the game, it's really just how I think it should work, and you wouldn't be amiss to do things another way in your own project.

In this way, Chris the Cynic would probably be as well suited to answer these questions as I, despite the fact he didn't work on the mod (he has a ridiculous memory and so he knows TNM's fiction better than I do in some ways - plus, he has kind of a talent for narrative consistency).
Mr. Freeze wrote:1. Is it possible for a non-staff member to create additional sections of a website? How stable would they be? (The idea I had was a vast landscape made of metal...which is really a gigantic machine, powering the coding that keeps the landscape together..among other, more nefarious purposes. The deeper you go, the more bizarre and complicated it becomes).
In general it should probably not be possible for just anyone to expand Forum City with new districts. We don't talk about this anywhere in the mod as far as I recall, but I think it would create all sorts of narrative problems. However, note that modifying existing areas is possible for non-PDX or Gamespy people, as demonstrated on several occasions: Dark Templar cut a whole neighborhood out of Forum City and transfered it to another domain where it became Goat City. Yardbomb established a whole alternative set of links between the major city districts in the form of his portal network. And of course people and corporations constantly erect new buildings or modify existing structures.

Your idea for a new section of Forum City sounds pretty fascinating, so I say go for it: just come up with an explanation of how it were possible (perhaps it was an existing, unused part of the site that was repurposed at great expense of effort - which could translate into a massive hack, essentially).
2. Does WorldCorp have research locations/regional headquarters in other websites? Moreso, would WorldCorp even still be around in 2011, endings aside?
You can't really say "endings aside" when you ask such a question - in the PDX or ABI endings, WC would almost certainly not be around any longer. Or at least it wouldn't exist in its old form, it might have been sold off to different owners or rebuilt from scratch by somebody else - or even by Scara, if he found a way to claw his way back from Banspace, but be very careful about overriding the player's original achievements :)

WorldCorp is pretty expansionist, so assuming they're still around, it would definitely be in-character for them to have created branches of their corporation in other Forum Cities.
3. Seeing as firewalls are physical beings, can viruses also be humanoid? Can a virus gain sentience?
I don't see why not! Note that firewalls don't have sentience though, at least not in PDX Forum City - they're relatively traditional programs controlled by Phasmatis.
6. How was the Goat City connected to Forum City? Was it a BSP hole? Or something else? (I don't think this was stated in game besides "Well, it just is". Correct me if I'm wrong)
I don't know if the link was ever really explained, but Goat City was described as existing on a separate domain (a different website), so I kind of think of it as an automatic domain redirect :P
7. Why does everyone care about what happens online? Does the real world even exist anymore, or does everyone live online like in The Matrix?
I have no damn idea, and that's the main weakness of TNM. I highly encourage you to figure this out for yourself before you get started on any project of your own. We just never really sat down to figure out exactly how things worked. You could think of TNM's fiction as "what the avatars are doing while the owners are off-line", but there are several ways in which that makes no sense.
8. How is hacking portrayed? Can a hacker make things appear out of literal thin air (it IS the internet, after all), or is it still all on computers?
The hackers that appear in TNM are pretty much glued to their computers, and all the hacking Trestkon may do also takes place on computers, so I think it's safe to assume that in order to hack in TNM, you need to use a computer that exists inside Forum City. You have a lot of liberty to define different levels of hacking however - for example, if Dark Templar's creation of Goat City and Yardbomb's voodoo is regarded as hacking, that form of hacking is basically magic. Similarly, you could think of anybody creating anything at all in Forum City (be it a new building or a new technology) as hacking, in which case science would also be a form of hacking.

So, again, this is just my own non-canon extrapolation, but you might split hacking into three categories:
  1. Hacking: using computers that have been created in Forum City with the purpose of letting savvy forumites manipulate electronic equipment - what Evil Invasion and That Guy do, for example.
  2. Science: creating new technologies or structures by making use of the systems of Forum City, similar to how real-world science explores and exploits the laws of physics without (generally) breaking them.
  3. Magic: creating and changing the structures of Forumplanet by manipulating and breaking the internal rules that govern it. Needless to say this should be extremely hard to do and a very rare occurrence on a large scale.
9. As a correlation, are special weapons like the PHAT Rifle programmed? Or just built with some funky tech?
See what I wrote about science above.
10. Is "Planet Gamespy" literal? Is the internet some bigass galaxy, and Gamespy only a single planet?
Probably. I mean you explicitly see Forumplanet from space in the last mission, even if it does look like Earth (which it isn't supposed to, but we couldn't find an artist good enough to draw a new planet for us).
And before anyone responds, I'll give a few details of what I have planned
Sounds really cool :)

If your game doesn't take place on Forumplanet, you don't really have to give a shit about how things work on Forumplanet - Doomworld isn't even an IGN site, right? So essentially you can decide that it works however you need it to work, no two website software suites work exactly the same after all.

Keep us updated!
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Mr. Freeze
Mole Person

Post by Mr. Freeze »

Thank you Jonas, for taking the time to answer my questions! Now, onto the discussion:
You can't really say "endings aside" when you ask such a question - in the PDX or ABI endings, WC would almost certainly not be around any longer. Or at least it wouldn't exist in its old form, it might have been sold off to different owners or rebuilt from scratch by somebody else - or even by Scara, if he found a way to claw his way back from Banspace, but be very careful about overriding the player's original achievements :)
The original concept was: Payne finds a space station belonging to Worldcorp, abandoned and floating above Doomworld (which is basically Mars). Everything is wrecked, and a pre-recorded loudspeaker announcement plays upon entrance. It goes:

"Welcome to Station Delta, a Worldcorp Industries facility. Now, you may have heard of some big changes involving management. All we at Worldcorp can say is that our work speaks for itself, baseless rumors notwithstanding. Enjoy the services provided.

Worldcorp - At least we're not Microsoft!"

Or something along those lines. The line about "changes to management" kinda references every ending in a way, but doesn't name anything specific. At the same time, I don't think it renders any ending invaild either: even if Trestkon let Scara live, rumors about his succession would be floating around like nuts.
I have no damn idea, and that's the main weakness of TNM. I highly encourage you to figure this out for yourself before you get started on any project of your own. We just never really sat down to figure out exactly how things worked. You could think of TNM's fiction as "what the avatars are doing while the owners are off-line", but there are several ways in which that makes no sense.
The idea I had was that for reasons unexplained- everyone HAD to live online. Referred to as The Switch, it took some kind of massive, probably cataclysmic event for people to go from recreational to full-time immersed in the system. Otherwise, no one would be taking internet events THAT seriously. But that's just my stab at it.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Yeah that sounds fine. You're right, that WorldCorp line does fit pretty well with all endings.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Pretty funny. If the guy who made a new DX game about what happened online can't answer why people care, then there probably isn't an answer :)
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

I have to go now, so this isn't exactly proofread or necessarily coherent.

Thank you for the kind words Jonas.

-

Here's my shot at some answers.
Mr. Freeze wrote: 7. Why does everyone care about what happens online? Does the real world even exist anymore, or does everyone live online like in The Matrix?
This is by far the most important question for you to answer because it determine, in part, the answers to your other questions.

To illustrate some of the ways you can interpret it, consider Phasmatis smacking Trestkon. (If you've seen NCIS, think of it as a Gibbs smack to the back of the head.)

If you look at Forum City as being something like Tron or Reboot then what's going on is that the users are using an ordinary forum, just like this one, and that gets translated into cyberspace by a sort of metaphysical connection such that what they say on the forum plays out in Forum City where avatars are real people living real lives. So Forum City would be like the platonic ideal of the PDX community.

In that case Phasmatis smacking Trestkon would involve Phasmatis' user typing, “*smacks Trestkon*” and posting it to the forum. Trestkon's user might not be online at the time. He might not be awake. (The two of them do live in very different places) but the message waits for him and when he does read it he responds however he sees fit. It could take hours or even days and the two users might never be online at the same time, but for the avatars living in Forum City what would happen is that Phasmatis and Trestkon would be in the same place at the same time and Phas would smack Trest and Trest would respond in real time.

Trestkon would care (if he did) because he, the avatar, just got smacked. If a user didn't really care about what was going on then the avatar would reflect that. If a user acted without caring about what he did to other people because he thought that things on the internet didn't matter, his avatar would would be a callous bastard. If a user was entire unfazed by what happened to her avatar because she didn't let internet goings affect her emotionally, then her avatar would be stoic.

The reason that things could happen in real time in Forum City when they didn't do that in real life without Forum City and the forum it is the cyberspace version of forking in different directions would be the magical nature of pretty much all settings that have a Tron/Reboot style cyberspace.

The upside to looking at it like this is that it explains why people can be online so long (they're not) and why things matter so much for avatars (this is their world) and how this kind of cyberspace can exist in 2004 (it's always existed, we just don't know about it) and probably several other things. It means that the users are not necessarily giving things their undivided attention. For Trestkon to go into Sol's Bar doesn't require his user to walk there, making sure not to trip on the curb or bump into anyone or anything. It does not require the user to open a door, or even consider the possibility that the door exists. It doesn't require controlling the avatar in real time, it just requires him to write, “*walks in*”

Which, it should be noted, gives the avatar a lot of free reign to decide how he's going to go about doing things.

The down side to looking at it like this is that a lot of stuff doesn't makes sense. Death, kidnapping, and stopping GameSpy come to mind.

-

Three steps or so to the left, consider something like the above but instead of an ordinary internet forum the forum in question is actually set up as a text based game. Now people going there have reason for staying in character (they're playing a game) and there's a reason for there to be things like perma-death and kidnapping (it's part of the game.) Yet it retains the positives of the previous version in that you don't have to have people controlling their avatars moment by moment, which is a pretty big one, and avatars care because this is their world.

That said, such a game would be horrendously unwieldy to program or play because you've still got Phasmatis' user saying he smacks Trestkon at a time when Trestkon might not even be online, except now you're trying to make an actual coherent game out of it. On the other hand, I'd guess that old fashioned RPG players have figured out a way to do something like that to some level of not suck so that they wouldn't have to have characters appearing and disappearing at random when someone couldn't show up to a session.

Regardless, in this case you have a reason why Trestkon can't just write “*I sprout wings and fly to the space station*” and have it be so. The game would have rules, and the things that happened in it would have to be within the bounds of those rules.

You also, potentially, have a little bit of wiggle room as to how you can take on GameSpy. I present two completely different ideas:

If we assume that there is only one kind of account, and the difference between an administrator and a player is in what the account has access to, then potentially by pushing the limits of the rules in directions GameSpy didn't expect, you could gain access to the same stuff (the space station) and terminate their accounts with a gun. At which point, if they don't actually have access to the physical server (say it was located in some other company's server farm) they're screwed and locked out of Forum Planet. (Because their accounts were terminated they don't have access to the company that is running the physical server. Why the server doesn't get powered off when the third party stops getting paid by GameSpy is left as an exercise to the reader.)

It doesn't make sense if you look at it closely, but if you squint and tilt your head to the left, it sort of feels like it could almost make sense.

Idea 2:

GameSpy ruled the world as evil overlords using a set of rules that were stacked in their favor but they were players and players who played by the rules. Those rules were unfair rules that they wrote, but they play by them none the less. When they lose they take accept it and, presumably, start afresh with new accounts. Forum Planet is whatevered (freed, conquered, democratized) even though the users for the GameSpy aliens still own and run the server.

-

Stepping into the middle of the spectrum, forget everything about platonic ideals and avatars as separate from users. We're into .hack//SIGN territory. Forum City is an online place that users can play. That means that everything an avatar does in Forum City is controlled by the user and the avatar is only present when the user is online. When Phasmatis smacks Trestkon that means that they were both online at the same time, they were both in the same virtual location, and (if we're assuming this is a vr game you jack into) Phas actually reached out and smacked Trest.

The major downside to this way of looking at things is that for Evil Invasion to be there watching Trestkon's datafeed for as long as he says requires Evil Invasions actual user to be sitting there watching the feed. For the fan fiction shop to be open twenty four hours a day requires one of the the employee-operators to be in it 24 hours a day meaning that they need to average more than 12 hours in the system each. (Because sometimes both are there at the same time)

Also, kidnapping. Kidnapping and torture. Why would someone stay logged in while their character was kidnapped and tortured? Why wouldn't they say, “Fuck this?” and log out. Why would DD be logged in when you got to the space station, why didn't he get bored with being a prisoner and decide to log off?

Something that should be noted is that the shift from not real time control to real time control means that doing menial work changed from the user simply saying that you're doing menial work, to actually playing farmville (assuming I correctly understand the gameplay of that game.)

-

Stepping all the way to the other end of the spectrum from where we started: The Matrix.

I'm probably going to leave it there.

Or not, I've been talking for so long, why not a bit more? It is possible to log off, which means that you can't have it be exactly like the Matrix as in everyone is stuck online barring extraordinary circumstance. Well, actually, you could. You'd just have to find an alternate meaning of “log off” like logging off meaning that you leave forum planet and get dumped in some other part of the internet.

If we're talking full on Matrix then that creates the potential for a couple of things. (Both of which are, I think, very far from TNM, but your mileage may vary.)

On the one hand, if the wine tastes as good, if the colors are as vibrant, if the whatever is as whatever, then people could actually willingly be spending most of their lives online. Mind you if they were there's a decent chance they wouldn't chose to spend it in a slum when they could go to internet utopia, but that's a reason why people might care so much. This could be their world.

On the other hand, if it hurts as much as the real world, you could have the potential for some real trauma. Which has some disturbing implications.

I don't think it makes sense to think of Forum City as being too much like The Matrix. It's an interesting tangent, and I've gone there before, but I would say that at most it makes sense to think of it as being like a virtual reality computer game with a safety function to prevent it from causing pain, and a way to log out in a real hurry if something gets to be too much.

The idea that someone might actually be tortured by logging into Forum City would, I think, go beyond the bounds of TNM's setting.

-

I tend to go for the idea that it's more akin to Tron and Reboot than .hack//Sign and The Matrix in that the reason people seem to be online all the time is that they aren't but their avatars are, but parsing exactly what the user sees is difficult at best.

If you assume that it is a forum then what the hell is ABI making a spacecraft? Is it some interesting bit of coding that just gets represented as a spacecraft? If it were coding, why would it only be able to be used twice?

If you assume that it is a game, then how does that work if the players aren't controlling things in real time?

1. Is it possible for a non-staff member to create additional sections of a website? How stable would they be? (The idea I had was a vast landscape made of metal...which is really a gigantic machine, powering the coding that keeps the landscape together..among other, more nefarious purposes. The deeper you go, the more bizarre and complicated it becomes).
I'm going to go with: No, but...

And the But will be tied up with some other answers.

A fair degree of the answer to this will be wrapped up in how you answer the basic question of what forum city is. Is it the platonic ideal of a forum, is it a virtual reality people jack into like the Matrix, is it …?

If you're thinking of Forum City as being the cyberspace-is-a-real-place version of a standard internet forum circa-2004, then it's probably connected by some piece of fairly standard html, with the gateway you see being the cyberspacial translation of it into visual form. If you're thinking of Forum City as being more like an virtual reality, then it's probably connected by said virtual reality's version of a map exit.

Of course from the perspective of people in Forum City the answer is: Magic.

Which brings me to hacking, and also the “but...” from above.

Regardless of how you look at things there is a difference between hacking in Forum City and hacking Forum City. The first uses the computers that we see in the city and only has control over things it makes sense for computers to have control over. It does, basically, what hacking in Deus Ex does.

Hacking the city itself is probably more similar to the creation of Goat City. If I were to try to, say, move the TNM Spoiler Zone to my website I'm pretty sure that that would involve me hacking (copying it not so much, but actually making it so the data was there and not here would.) So hacking the city would seem to basically be magic.

So now onto that “but...” from above if someone were to make a mod where, say, you leaving the door to the server complex open on Day 1 led to it being overrun by goats on Day 2, and then if the goats took over the server complex the denouncement said that, because they had taken over the server complex and hacked it with incredible prowess they were able to create something from thin air I probably wouldn't object on continuity grounds.

Also, it presumably varies from website to website. If you were at wikipedia's version of Forum City then it would be possible for an ordinary user to create as many city blocks as they wanted to.
From the inside of Forum City perspective, regardless of what you think Forum City is, anything like that would be physically constructed, unless it was magic it would be done following the rules of the city.
While WorldCorp seems to have it's sights set on Forum Planet, I see no reason that they couldn't be elsewhere as well. Especially if they thought that something elsewhere would help them where they were. (Does setting up an outpost there help the to take over Forum Planet?)
In a Tron-Reboot version, absolutely. In a .hack//SIGN or The Matrix version, maybe.
Probably.

[Edited to fix formatting, and clean up a spot where a sentence stopped short.]
Last edited by chris the cynic on Tue May 31, 2011 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I was hoping for precisely a post like that to happen. Thanks, Chris ;)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Robd
Thug

Post by Robd »

And I thought the chris in the game talked a lot. (mostly because my screen cut off and i couldn't find a way out of the conversation)
But thanks, that was informative to me and I'm not even making a mod, lol.
I'm too cool for a signature, that's my signature 8)
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

Robd wrote:(mostly because my screen cut off and i couldn't find a way out of the conversation)
And I added so many exits to the Priory conversations too.

Anyway, happy to have been informative.
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

Quote:

The major downside to this way of looking at things is that for Evil Invasion to be there watching Trestkon's datafeed for as long as he says requires Evil Invasions actual user to be sitting there watching the feed. For the fan fiction shop to be open twenty four hours a day requires one of the the employee-operators to be in it 24 hours a day meaning that they need to average more than 12 hours in the system each. (Because sometimes both are there at the same time)

Also, kidnapping. Kidnapping and torture. Why would someone stay logged in while their character was kidnapped and tortured? Why wouldn't they say, “Fuck this?” and log out. Why would DD be logged in when you got to the space station, why didn't he get bored with being a prisoner and decide to log off?
I always thought of it as this:

Someone goes onto a PC, onto the forum, enters username and password (or is a board guest, N00b or just signs up) and then a portal opens in real world and the person who logged into the forum, can walk through the portal and enter the forum as you see it in TNM, but first have to choose how they would look in the forum so when they enter, their appearance changes to look how they want to, meaning they are actually in the forum (think of the forum as a holodeck simulation in Star Trek but always on and with safety on so if you get killed your just logged out and possibly your account lost) and some of the things you see in the game such as servers are just manifestations of the real servers, the real servers can be accessed via the servers in the game.

Since your in the forum this way, you can eat and sleep like you would in real life and be fine as food would be eatable and liquids drinkable (also like Star Trek Holodeck). Explains Despots/Phasmatis apartments, Sol's Bar and Grill, Partyzone etc... (explains why AO is so attached to his bar)

Some such as That_Guy (being a hologram when you see him) are at home in the real world and just are in the forum with their character, the same way, we play TNM or Deus Ex, on a computer, controlling a player on the screen. They control the character but are not actually "in" the forum in the same manor as entering it physically how you would with the portal and anyone (or certain people) can do this (suppose n00bs and Board Guests don't have this privilege to be a hologram)..hope you understood that, not great with explanations of some things, find it easier showing people.

Is there any mention in the game of anyone either logging out (Narcissus Entity and banning people aside) or logging in, or wanting to logout? Or is there mention of the real world in TNM?

Maybe the Central district is where you begin at first when you login, then you can save where you where and start there next time after logging in or revisit places you have been (but not those you have not been as you wouldn't know about those until visiting them), Central district is where you start in TNM after all.

It also resolves this issue (if kidnapped you can't log out until your free to do so, such as DD being kidnapped?) Maybe your profile was "kidnapped or hijacked" when your character was and while your kidnapped you have no access to your profile until your freed and can choose what to do? It explains why DD doesn't use his admin powers to free himself before being rescued and restore order. He can't until saved and when done, has his profile and its settings back as well.

All that said, the only flaw in this, is what would happen in the real world if the computer failed or unplugged, area computer was in somehow got destroyed or anything else that would compromise the access of the forum from the real world or the place they logged in from? Maybe the user in the forum can see or be able to see the real world and know when to logout and return to the real world?
My nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus
Mr. Freeze
Mole Person

Post by Mr. Freeze »

It's been over a year, but work is now proceeding on Crash, the in-universe sequel to The Nameless Mod. How related will they be? Think Prometheus to Alien: same universe, same themes, different executions. Except Crash won't revolve around every character acting stupid.

Work has already begun on the script, with a completion date of November. After that, levels will start being designed. And then the music, sound, and programming (thankfully one of the smallest issues, thanks to Doom's plethora of source port and ACS documentation).

Within the next week or two, I hope to have the logo designed and will upload here for all to ridicule view! Stay tuned!