What is Kylie Griffin's Problem?

Discuss The Nameless Mod in all its glory, unrestricted by the spoiler prohibition in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Brad Denton
Thug

What is Kylie Griffin's Problem?

Post by Brad Denton »

I'm very curious what the real Kylie Griffin is like, and what she posted about while a user in Planet Deus Ex. (Did you know that her username comes from THE EXTREME GHOSTBUSTERS cartoon? And fittingly, the original Kylie was just as Gothic as her TNM counterpart.) In the context of THE NAMELESS MOD, what is the fictional Kylie's deal? When I'm on the PDX side, whether I kill or spare ZeroPresence, she gets pissed off at Trestkon. When Trestkon tries to reason her when he's near the end of completing the PDX campaign, or close to completing the Ryan ending after betraying Scara, she won't hear of a discussion! She claims that the reason she changed was because she grew up, but her explanation is absurd because she's the online avatar of a DEUS EX fan, and even if she's most brutal DX fan, video game fans don't grow up!

I get her resemblance to Anna Navarre (who I actually wished I could date in the original DX, including Shannon, and Nicolette, and Janice, and Maggie Chow.... ok, you get the idea), I think she is the most fleshed out tribute to Anna ever conceived. I do like getting closer to her on the WorldCorps missions, even though Scara is an absolute ass (yet hilariously insane) boss to work for. At least she didn't get hostile towards me for doing the pacifist approach while doing the WordlCorps campaign, because I making it possible for Scara to succeed. It just sucks that working for Scara is the only way she can desire me again.

Her character formerly worked for PDX, right? What got her to be so pissed off against PDX anway? I understand that she hates Trestkon because he prefers to be non-lethal, and she is thrives on killing. Did she used to be bloodthirsty in the early years of her relationship with Trest, or did she gradually become that due to the intensity of her job regulating the forums?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: What is Kylie Griffin's Problem?

Post by Jonas »

Brad Denton wrote:I'm very curious what the real Kylie Griffin is like, and what she posted about while a user in Planet Deus Ex. (Did you know that her username comes from THE EXTREME GHOSTBUSTERS cartoon? And fittingly, the original Kylie was just as Gothic as her TNM counterpart.)
I did realise about half-way through the production that Kylie took her name from a Ghostbusters cartoon. I guess Ryan figured it out sooner, because as far as I can tell, he based her texture a bit on the cartoon character too. I didn't know her super well on the PDX forums, but she was a pretty nice girl - I know that she was Danish (from Jutland, specifically) and she rode a motorcycle and she had a pretty biting sense of humour.
In the context of THE NAMELESS MOD, what is the fictional Kylie's deal? When I'm on the PDX side, whether I kill or spare ZeroPresence, she gets pissed off at Trestkon. When Trestkon tries to reason her when he's near the end of completing the PDX campaign, or close to completing the Ryan ending after betraying Scara, she won't hear of a discussion! She claims that the reason she changed was because she grew up, but her explanation is absurd because she's the online avatar of a DEUS EX fan, and even if she's most brutal DX fan, video game fans don't grow up!
Video game fans do grow up. That's not why Kylie changed though.

I won't go into too much detail with my own interpretation of the game because it's just my interpretation, and it's no more valid than yours. All that matters is what's in the game, nothing else is canonical, as I see it. Suffice to say being a secret agent is not a pleasant job, you have to do a lot of shitty things, and somewhere along the way Kylie was just sort of broken. She won't see that, of course. She's not pissed because you join PDX, specifically, from her perspective it's just another betrayal in a long line of betrayals. She was perhaps hoping for validation, and by joining the (in many ways) opposite faction of who Kylie is working for now, Trestkon denies her that validation.
I get her resemblance to Anna Navarre (who I actually wished I could date in the original DX, including Shannon, and Nicolette, and Janice, and Maggie Chow.... ok, you get the idea), I think she is the most fleshed out tribute to Anna ever conceived. I do like getting closer to her on the WorldCorps missions, even though Scara is an absolute ass (yet hilariously insane) boss to work for. At least she didn't get hostile towards me for doing the pacifist approach while doing the WordlCorps campaign, because I making it possible for Scara to succeed. It just sucks that working for Scara is the only way she can desire me again.
I was always pretty proud of that actually - that the only way to get the "romance" storyline is by joining the bad guys. Just one of those cute little twists of fate.
Her character formerly worked for PDX, right? What got her to be so pissed off against PDX anway? I understand that she hates Trestkon because he prefers to be non-lethal, and she is thrives on killing. Did she used to be bloodthirsty in the early years of her relationship with Trest, or did she gradually become that due to the intensity of her job regulating the forums?
I think it's in the game somewhere, but I don't recall if the explanation made it in. She did not used to be blood-thirsty, her job as a covert agent gradually wore her down and hardened her, until she broke down in such a spectacular fashion that it caused the closing of the entire Covert Intelligence Service. The specific event is never explained because I never bothered to decide exactly how it happened, I'm happy to leave that up to your imagination.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Brad Denton
Thug

Post by Brad Denton »

I was always pretty proud of that actually - that the only way to get the "romance" storyline is by joining the bad guys. Just one of those cute little twists of fate.
You should be proud, Jonas. By forcing the player to make difficult choices in order to get certain story points, you have achieved a level beyond the original DX or most RPGs today. Besides, I like being bad just to get the chance to nestle with the hottest, coldest killer in Forum City.

Your description of the real Kylie sounds intriguing. She sounds like my kind of lady (even though her Forum Planet alter-ego might assault rifle me for saying that). Does she know that she's a major character in the most famous TC for DX1? It would've been awesome if you could have enlisted her to voice an easter egg apparition of her for the DXI portion of the game. What would she say in Danish to Trestkon if she were summoned like you, Winquman, and Phas? Anyway, I hope PDX still has archives of her posts, so I can get a sense of her humor and personality.

When I said that video gamers never grow up, I was being ironic (well, half-ironic). I just think it's mind blowing that the avatar of a DX fan would take a life of its own, and value the draconian ethics of a fan-fictional corporation over just discussing DX on the forum. That's what makes your mod so advanced and awesome in its concept, because all the PDX avatars have these insane realities of their own beyond the real people they represent. I think it would have been funny if Trestkon replied to her growing up part: "Come on, Kylie! Can't we both just talk about what we like about DX1, post a few smilies, and logout?" She probably would have killed him after that, but it would've been a fun thing to happen.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

Jonas wrote:I think it's in the game somewhere, but I don't recall if the explanation made it in. She did not used to be blood-thirsty, her job as a covert agent gradually wore her down and hardened her, until she broke down in such a spectacular fashion that it caused the closing of the entire Covert Intelligence Service. The specific event is never explained because I never bothered to decide exactly how it happened, I'm happy to leave that up to your imagination.
Yeah I think it actually did in a peripheral way anyway (the stuff to Trestkon about killing and the like). But it's a decent enough description of the feeling of the average DX player who isn't used to ghosting trying it out, or trying to stun things. After a while, you just want to pull out a lethal weapon and unload.
Brad Denton
Thug

Post by Brad Denton »

Kylie may be dysfunctional, and her perplexing psychology and manners do make me want to stealth kill her with my katana or burn her with the Admin Staff, but she is an absolute babe... I should be careful, because it is my failing to be drawn to extremely strong women who may become the death of me, but the real perk of completing the WC campaign was to have Kylie call me "honey" and secretly want to tear my clothes off out of a newfound desire for me... TNM's Trestkon is one lucky man.

On the other hand, Jackie might be a better alternative (if only I had the choice to flirt with her!).

My God, I'm discussing TNM's woman like those high-pitched Board Guests. Help!
Prophet
NSF

Post by Prophet »

On the topic of board guests,...
THEY ARE SUCH A PAIN!!! :x I kill one then 7 more come around the corner! :o Where do they come from?! 8-[
THE PROPHET
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

One thing in life is certain: there will always be more board guests.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Brad Denton
Thug

Post by Brad Denton »

Typical. I do a thread about why Kylie is so dysfunctional and yet so hot, and some guy comes here talking about a subject that has nothing to do with the main topic in question. He talks about how Board Guests are pain.... LIKE A BOARD GUEST WOULD DO! Oh, Kylie, if you can hear me, rid me of these high-pitched voiced users with oddly colored clothes!
Prophet
NSF

Post by Prophet »

This is Off Topic Productions...
Going off topic shouldn't be a problem...
But Jackie looks way better than Kylie!
THE PROPHET
Brad Denton
Thug

Post by Brad Denton »

Prophet wrote:This is Off Topic Productions...
Going off topic shouldn't be a problem...
But Jackie looks way better than Kylie!
Clever cover-up Prophet, I must say. =D> I'm going to sound like a loser for saying this, but Jackie is definitely one of the hottest babes of TNM.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

TNM does not have "hot babes", it only has "badass ladies" ;)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Prophet
NSF

Post by Prophet »

It's true! I saw one with a blue colored skirt that has "BADASS" written on it in bold black letters.
THE PROPHET
x51
Thug

Post by x51 »

Brad Denton wrote:I get her resemblance to Anna Navarre (who I actually wished I could date in the original DX, including Shannon, and Nicolette, and Janice, and Maggie Chow.... ok, you get the idea), I think she is the most fleshed out tribute to Anna ever conceived. I do like getting closer to her on the WorldCorps missions, even though Scara is an absolute ass (yet hilariously insane) boss to work for. At least she didn't get hostile towards me for doing the pacifist approach while doing the WordlCorps campaign, because I making it possible for Scara to succeed. It just sucks that working for Scara is the only way she can desire me again.
Interesting opinion. May I use it in my fanfiction?
Nyet! You can not steal from Hammer and Sickle!
Brad Denton
Thug

Post by Brad Denton »

x51 wrote:
Brad Denton wrote:I get her resemblance to Anna Navarre (who I actually wished I could date in the original DX, including Shannon, and Nicolette, and Janice, and Maggie Chow.... ok, you get the idea), I think she is the most fleshed out tribute to Anna ever conceived. I do like getting closer to her on the WorldCorps missions, even though Scara is an absolute ass (yet hilariously insane) boss to work for. At least she didn't get hostile towards me for doing the pacifist approach while doing the WordlCorps campaign, because I making it possible for Scara to succeed. It just sucks that working for Scara is the only way she can desire me again.
You can if you like, x51. What kind of fan fiction will you write? Are you going to flesh out Kylie into a complex and grayer version of Anna Navarre?
x51
Thug

Post by x51 »

Brad Denton wrote:
x51 wrote:
You can if you like, x51. What kind of fan fiction will you write? Are you going to flesh out Kylie into a complex and grayer version of Anna Navarre?
Sorry for silent long time - very busy at work. My fan-fiction is grown up to full Deus Ex TNM mod, which has been started at summer 2014 with planetdeusex.ru guys. Storyline is confidential for now, it based on mixing universe from TNM and Original DX (actually the time between Deus Ex Nihilum and Vanilla DX timelines). It is very difficult to progressing development - part of the developers from Ukraine, and the difficult political situation does not allow speak freely even in the Internet, we have to hide behind many proxy and I2P servers.

And I apologize for my English. For almost a year I have not had a chance to practice - I almost forgot all of my vocabulary and grammar rules.
Nyet! You can not steal from Hammer and Sickle!