The Nth enthusiast player

Discuss The Nameless Mod in all its glory, unrestricted by the spoiler prohibition in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

skizzzo63
Thug

The Nth enthusiast player

Post by skizzzo63 »

Hi everybody,
I just finished playing TNM for the second time (WC route) to see all the endings and, oh boy, this Mod is simply incredible! :o

I loved the original DX (it's one of the very few games I played more than once), but I somehow enjoyed TNM even more.
Especially in the first half, it was like really being part of a world (the second half, from ABI and onward, was more linear and "traditional", thus less engaging). I had to actually use my brain more than my guns - not many games can do that.

And the choices, the consequences, the funny dialogues, the surprises, the many small touches of genius...
this game is imbued with quality, love, passion, charme and cleverness. 8)

One thing I didn't like much, was following the WC route, because I often felt like a complete jerk. I mean, it was necessary to accomplish what Scara wanted, but it went against my ethic; it made me feel bad.
OTOH, it's part of what makes TNM special and immersive: it makes you FEEL your character. You're not just playing, you're living and feeling his life.

I would like to list all the things that TNM improved over the original DX, but it would be long and other people already did it.
I just want to point out DX gave us three endings, while TNM gave us four, plus the philosophical Narcissus ending.

OTP, I can't praise you enough. I'd never thought a bunch of volunteers could create such a huge and outstanding product, for free. :shock:
Thank you very much, you created something that will last in DX lovers' minds for a very long time. You must be proud.

Valter
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: The Nth enthusiast player

Post by Jonas »

Thanks for posting :)

It's really cool to hear that people are still playing TNM so long after its release. And even better to hear when they manage to finish it ;)

I just have one question:
skizzzo63 wrote:I just want to point out DX gave us three endings, while TNM gave us four, plus the philosophical Narcissus ending.
What are those four endings? :P
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
skizzzo63
Thug

Post by skizzzo63 »

Jonas wrote:It's really cool to hear that people are still playing TNM so long after its release.
Well, I'm using a Mac, and TNM did't run on it. :(
Lately I got a PC for gaming, so I could - at last - playing it.
Jonas wrote:And even better to hear when they manage to finish it ;)
How could someone not finishing it? You just can't let it go. ;)

Crappy games are the one you don't finish (e.g. Star Trek - Klingon Honor Guard, and lately Halo 2). :lol:
(or games with too many spiders in it :P )
Jonas wrote:What are those four endings? :P
The PDX one, the WC and Scara one, the WC and Trestkon (after banning Scara) one, and the Ryan one.

Yes, some of them might be seen as just variation on the same path, but each of them presents a different Forum City situation afterwards. So I felt them as four. :)
(Ok, bot WC outcomes are similar, but the pleasure of banning that vile bastard of Scara makes it worthwhile anyway!)
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Ah yeah, it's just that if you count the two WorldCorp endings as different, I would maybe count the two PDX endings (with or without Deus Diablo) as different as well, though I'll grant you the difference between the WorldCorp endings is greater than between the PDX endings. So I'd say the game either has 3 endings or 5 endings, plus Ryan :P
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine