What faction do you think it was the most good?

Discuss The Nameless Mod in all its glory, unrestricted by the spoiler prohibition in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

silensurvivor2012
Thug

What faction do you think it was the most good?

Post by silensurvivor2012 »

Hello i'm new in this forum.

First of all i'd like to thank everyone who worked hard to make this mod possible. It's truly a masterpiece and it probably the greatest mod for a game ever created, you guys did a wonderful job.

Now as for the topic. My theory is there were no truly good guys here, even the ones who were supossely to be Trecpwood's friends, like Phasmatis or King Kashue. Just like in the original Deus Ex there is moral ambiguity and everyone has their own agenda, the same happens here but with the difference is that the information presented to you tried to seprate Scara B. King as the obvious villain and the PDX members as the good guys, still i wasn't conviced. There was also the DXO guys who apparently wanted to get rid of the oppresive rule of PDX; although i didn't get much info of them because i ended up killing their leader and part of their members. I sided with WorldCorp but i didn't enjoy some of the stuff i had to do for them, especially when Scara betrayed me by sending me to get killed by Phasmatis, it was obvious that he wanted me dead at that point or when the chopper pilot got tortured to death.

As for my job of picking up the pieces to solving the puzzle i came to the conclusion that the Goats were in fact a lot better than PDX guys. They had Melk, the best songs of the game and they had the good intentions of making the world a peaceful and enlightened place, even if that meant to murder every Llama heathen, the speech you can hear in the cathedral is quite inspiring, if you pay attention; in fact i wished there was an ending dedicated to them. PDX moderators might have good intentions but this is Deus Ex and we know there is no black and white morality, so i started to distrust them too because they were the ones who held the power in the world, they could kill everyone they wanted and were inmortal. Power corrupts and they had a lot of power.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: What faction do you think it was the most good?

Post by Jonas »

silensurvivor2012 wrote:My theory is there were no truly good guys here, even the ones who were supossely to be Trecpwood's friends, like Phasmatis or King Kashue.
Awesome :D

Yeah PDX wasn't meant to be perfect, or unambiguously good. At the very least their government is deeply flawed and they've been rather naive about where their power comes from. I love to hear that at least some players have put some thought into the underlying morality behind each faction.

The Goats aren't perfect either, of course. That's not the intention, as least. But they do have excellent music.
Trecpwood
Awesome.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

The faction question: I'm an unabashed Dark Templar fan so it's the Goats for me. :P
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Brad Denton
Thug

Post by Brad Denton »

As for my job of picking up the pieces to solving the puzzle i came to the conclusion that the Goats were in fact a lot better than PDX guys. They had Melk, the best songs of the game and they had the good intentions of making the world a peaceful and enlightened place, even if that meant to murder every Llama heathen, the speech you can hear in the cathedral is quite inspiring, if you pay attention; in fact i wished there was an ending dedicated to them.
That's probably what every easily swayed spectator thought when they heard their first cult speech. I found OiNutter's speech to be hilarious and well written, and was totally spot on in its parody of an overzealous religious leader's speech structure, patterns and motifs. I was not however swayed, because I knew that the speech was written to enrapture the most gullible and weak of initiates. Their main motivation is to just swindle their followers, which is why the Goat leader's private section of the Templae is so fine quality and expensive. However, it seems their able to pay their followers exceedingly well (or maybe just the favored few), so they must have swindled some exceedingly rich initiates inorder to pay followers who just do it for the money. I hope your comments about the Goats being peacefu and enlightened are ironic, because the Goats are brutal against non-followers. For example: the old server complex guys are too afraid to leave their posts for fear that the Goats will tear them apart. Also, remember they've warred against the Lamas only because over a disagreement on what to call a Spork: a Spork or a Foon. They're willing to take over Forum City over the matter of Sporks and Foons, and that's not enlightening. Not to say that the Lamas are any better (I felt a twinge of guilt for helping Beefman starve and destroy the powerbase of the Goats, even though they are insane). I do agree with you on one thing: I wish they had their own ending. The same for the Lamas. :)
silensurvivor2012
Thug

Well, maybe they aren't peaceful in the strong sense of the word... Not that i'm implying they are hippies or something like that. But certainly, they are enlightened. Not everyone can master the art of Foon throwing and make it a weapon of mass destruction or create the holy beverage, that is Melk™ that can improve one's body and senses. If you were living in Forum City, the probabilities of being murdered by WorldCorp are much higher than getting abducted by the Goats or killed by the Llamas.
Xfing
Thug

Post by Xfing »

What I've noticed about the Goats is that they have a really, really beautiful city, the Templae (TM) notwithstanding. It's probably the most beautiful location in the entire game, and possibly the most beautiful environment ever created on the Unreal Engine.

And Athena's luxurious apartment, along with the secret book about the conspiracy behind the religions, really reinforce the preconception that the Goat cult is just meant to swindle people. It's an elaborate hoax, nothing more than a moneymaking scam (much like Scientology in real life. Please, do get offended, scientologists, I don't mind). What was played well is also the fact that it was Jayzee who was initially part of the pact, not Beefman, so both Beefman and Athena have perfectly valid reasons to want each other dead.

That said, I'm sad that there was so little to do in the Goat Templae, (TM), except for when Trentson takes his quests or executes his quests from the other side. It is so beautiful that one wants to hang around it for the sake of it, but there is still some sense of unfulfillment and squandered potentail about it :D
silensurvivor2012
Thug

Xfing wrote:What I've noticed about the Goats is that they have a really, really beautiful city, the Templae (TM) notwithstanding. It's probably the most beautiful location in the entire game, and possibly the most beautiful environment ever created on the Unreal Engine.
And Athena's luxurious apartment, along with the secret book about the conspiracy behind the religions, really reinforce the preconception that the Goat cult is just meant to swindle people.
And you must admit that they are good at it.