Missing something in the OSC

Discuss The Nameless Mod in all its glory, unrestricted by the spoiler prohibition in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Quincel
Thug

Missing something in the OSC

Post by Quincel »

I apologise if this has been answered before (though my meagre search skills didn't find it) but can I do something with the 'Milbot Piece' in the OSC? I found it under the floor just after the 'Run Forest Run' tunnel, and since I can pick it up I kinda assumed I could use it. But I'm starting to think it is just foreshadowing for the milbot at the end of the box maze.

On a different note, I was watching the Dev Commentary videos from ModDB for the first time over the weekend. I saw you go down an alleyway and find a spiderbot in the Downtown district, which I'd just walked past every time I'd gone to the 1st Narcissus event. And I felt suitably impressed at the number of 'hidden in plain site' details.
Last edited by Quincel on Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quincel
Thug

Re: Missing something in the OSC

Post by Quincel »

Also in the OSC. In the room with the final server shutdown thing (the 5th of 5) there is a vent running across the ceiling. It looks impossible to get up there, but by using the flying cheat I can see there is stuff in it. Is there a back entrance into the vent from another room I keep missing?

EDIT: I can almost get in with level 4 legs augment, but even then not quite. And I can't see how to get a barrel or box there to help me. So close but so far...
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Quincel wrote:I apologise if this has been answered before (though my meagre search skills didn't find it) but can I do something with the 'Milbot Piece' in the OSC? I found it under the floor just after the 'Run Forest Run' tunnel, and since I can pick it up I kinda assumed I could use it. But I'm starting to think it is just foreshadowing for the milbot at the end of the box maze.
I don't remember the exact object in question, but I'd assume it's just a bit of set dressing. TNM was released at a time when computers could handle substantially more detailed environments than when Deus Ex came out, but we were always a bit short on actual environment art to fill out the game world. One of our solutions was to repurpose existing art and use it in ways other than how it was intended - putting in a random debris piece from a milbot sounds like an example of that. You can ostensibly imagine logical reasons why it would be there, particularly since there's a functional milbot a bit further in, so it makes sense they would have some spare parts lying around.
On a different note, I was watching the Dev Commentary videos from ModDB for the first time over the weekend. I saw you go down an alleyway and find a spiderbot in the Downtown district, which I'd just walked past every time I'd gone to the 1st Narcissus event. And I felt suitably impressed at the number of 'hidden in plain site' details.
Yeah that was my favourite thing about Deus Ex as well: all the little "secrets" that weren't really hidden at all, you just had to go looking :D
Also in the OSC. In the room with the final server shutdown thing (the 5th of 5) there is a vent running across the ceiling. It looks impossible to get up there, but by using the flying cheat I can see there is stuff in it. Is there a back entrance into the vent from another room I keep missing?
I know you can get up there, I'm pretty sure ZeroPresence (the level designer of that mission - and many others) wouldn't have put anything there without making sure it could be reached. You may have to do a lot of stacking of crates and barrels to get there though ;)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Quincel
Thug

Post by Quincel »

No problem with stacking lots of crates. I've spent many happy games building a tower to rescue the Llama at the start of the game. Chuck an item to distract the goats and in and out without any bloodshed...