Storing items; is nowhere safe?!

Discuss The Nameless Mod in all its glory, unrestricted by the spoiler prohibition in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

JC_Helios
X-51

Storing items; is nowhere safe?!

Post by JC_Helios »

The title pretty much explains it. After the maps change(After doing DXI, haven't gotten further to know if they change a second-third time) is there anywhere that your items are left alone.

I was thinking Phas' apartment? The Voodoo shop? Party zone? Maybe the Llama temple or central district, so is there any alternative to just using the inventory glitch to carry everything you want over?
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: Storing items; is nowhere safe?!

Post by Trestkon »

Unfortunately, no. The mission number changes when you go into DXI, so everything gets cleaned up and new maps are loaded for when you come back. There was basically no way we could make it persistent, which is why we put in the PM telling you that you should finish any business you had around town before going down, although I know that probably didn't make you think to grab your weapons, sorry about that.
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
JC_Helios
X-51

Post by JC_Helios »

What about the ruin maps themselves? As I mentioned in another topic my save got screwed all to hell shortly after the map changes and when looking into it I noticed for some reason I only had like 5 maps in the save file. So if I were to just move everything modded, and unique into the ruins when I go there, they should survive the switch?
jellyfish
NSF

Post by jellyfish »

That could very well be the case. I left some grenades in there before going in and when I've returned they were still there. Unless the switch happens when you reach the surface.
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

JC_Helios wrote:What about the ruin maps themselves? As I mentioned in another topic my save got screwed all to hell shortly after the map changes and when looking into it I noticed for some reason I only had like 5 maps in the save file. So if I were to just move everything modded, and unique into the ruins when I go there, they should survive the switch?
The DXI maps are their own mission, which is why there were only 5 maps in the save. Only things you're actually carrying on you will go to the next mission. So if you carry all your stuff into DXI in one go, you can take it with you.
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
r00tb33r
MJ12

Post by r00tb33r »

There is a strange little map between Sol's and DXO... nothing but a stairway and a room with boxes. Since nothing much goes on there, I'd think that would be one map that does not have any changes occurring, but then again I might be wrong.

That's all part of Sol's or DT, depending on which way you're going. It doesn't matter what map you're in, EVERY map is changed when you come back from DXI.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

r00tb33r wrote:There is a strange little map between Sol's and DXO... nothing but a stairway and a room with boxes. Since nothing much goes on there, I'd think that would be one map that does not have any changes occurring, but then again I might be wrong.
Yes, utterly wrong. The only way to hang on to items when going to DXI is to keep them in your inventory - you'll just have to choose which items you want to bring over.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
killhour
Thug

Post by killhour »

You should be able to keep your stuff in the lockbox in the gun shop, and it should remember what is there, and transfer it over to the new map. This shouldn't be too hard to set up (just copy what they did with your inventory when you get captured by MJ12), and it makes sense gameplay-wise.
jellyfish
NSF

Post by jellyfish »

Yuki made in shifter that a gear left in JC's office carries over after the mission, couldn't something similar be done in TNM?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

killhour wrote:This shouldn't be too hard to set up (just copy what they did with your inventory when you get captured by MJ12), and it makes sense gameplay-wise.
Ah yes, the good old "that would be easy to implement", the bane of developers. This is why normal game developers don't talk to their fans - it's amazing how easy everything is to do when you have no idea what you're talking about ;)

When you were captured by MJ12, your inventory was taken from you and placed somewhere else in the same map. You're talking about reading what items are in a particular part of the map and then saving them to travel variables and carrying them over to not just another map but a completely different mission.

I'm impressed Yuki did it, and I'm sure we could, but it's definitely not something we want to implement now. Ask Yuki to put it in his TNM-compatible version of Shifter if the feature is very important to you. Otherwise, do what you did in the original Deus Ex: Choose.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

So long as we are discussing things that the TNM people will not do, you know what I'd like? I'd like it if when I got into an elevator, and the elevator took me across a map transition, the stuff in the elevator came with me. That would be nice.
killhour
Thug

Post by killhour »

Jonas wrote:
killhour wrote:This shouldn't be too hard to set up (just copy what they did with your inventory when you get captured by MJ12), and it makes sense gameplay-wise.
Ah yes, the good old "that would be easy to implement", the bane of developers. This is why normal game developers don't talk to their fans - it's amazing how easy everything is to do when you have no idea what you're talking about ;)

When you were captured by MJ12, your inventory was taken from you and placed somewhere else in the same map. You're talking about reading what items are in a particular part of the map and then saving them to travel variables and carrying them over to not just another map but a completely different mission.

I'm impressed Yuki did it, and I'm sure we could, but it's definitely not something we want to implement now. Ask Yuki to put it in his TNM-compatible version of Shifter if the feature is very important to you. Otherwise, do what you did in the original Deus Ex: Choose.
Hah, I see your point about things seeming easy to some people but really being more complicated. I get that all the time, since I'm a freelance level designer myself. I haven't played around with the scripting in the unreal engine too much, but storing a list of items in an external file (much like you stored the amount of discovered easter eggs) should be very doable. But, it's not my mod (I actually wish I knew about this mod earlier so I could have helped out).
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

killhour wrote:I haven't played around with the scripting in the unreal engine too much, but storing a list of items in an external file (much like you stored the amount of discovered easter eggs) should be very doable. But, it's not my mod (I actually wish I knew about this mod earlier so I could have helped out).
It's quite a lot of information to store with weapon mods and all, but the point is I'm sure we could do it, but it's way past the time we'll implement a feature like that.

TNM, like Deus Ex, is all about choice. Pay attention to what items you bring to DXI, because that's all you have when you come back, just like in Deus Ex.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
killhour
Thug

Post by killhour »

Jonas wrote: It's quite a lot of information to store with weapon mods and all, but the point is I'm sure we could do it, but it's way past the time we'll implement a feature like that.

TNM, like Deus Ex, is all about choice. Pay attention to what items you bring to DXI, because that's all you have when you come back, just like in Deus Ex.
Point taken (although I'm not entirely convinced it was a conscious design decision to force that choice upon the player - don't think I don't know how developers think in retrospect :twisted: )

Great mod though, I'm having tons of fun.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

At one point we were thinking about giving Trestkon an apartment or just an office where he could store his stuff, but we decided against it for a variety of reasons. Chief amongst them the fact that we didn't feel we could put it to proper use. If we gave you an apartment, we'd want to arrange meetings there, ship packages to it, having somebody break in and ransack it if you piss off Scara, send e-mails to your PC dynamically, etc. We felt we were way past the point where we could make such drastic changes to the game (though in retrospect, we did end up working on the mod for another 3-4 years after that, so I guess there was time :P ).

But hey, maybe somebody will mod in an inventory safe zone somewhere in TNM (the locker would make sense but it's not exactly spacious) some time in the future. For now though, I can't say I'm unhappy with the way things turned out - the loss of your stash is a small price to pay for the ability to change some of maps as much as we do after DXI.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine