Wiki

Discuss The Nameless Mod in all its glory, unrestricted by the spoiler prohibition in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Re: Wiki

Post by chris the cynic »

Rex wrote:I don't really think this is a good idea
Ok, good. Now tell me why you think it is not a good idea.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Rex wrote:I don't really think this is a good idea... but about coping words, jonas made talks, maybe he have script of all messages and dialogues.
I have, and I've released the 1.0.2 version of it all to you guys (the links are around here somewhere). But you'd still have to copy/paste it all into the wiki.

I think it's a great idea, but it's a stupid amount of work and I wouldn't touch it with a red hot poker.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

I guess it's better just to let people play TNM.

It's a good game, ya know? ;)
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Jonas wrote:I think it's a great idea,
In that case, I have a question about implementation. Would it be possible to have reference pages be linked to normal pages the same way discussion (talk:) pages are? So you'd have a tab at the top of a page for reference, and reference pages wouldn't clog up the search function?
but it's a stupid amount of work and I wouldn't touch it with a red hot poker.
I wouldn't ask you to. Even I, who suggested this idea, would run in fear at the prospect of doing this for Trestkon. But I think that, even incomplete, it would be helpful.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

chris the cynic wrote:Would it be possible to have reference pages be linked to normal pages the same way discussion (talk:) pages are? So you'd have a tab at the top of a page for reference, and reference pages wouldn't clog up the search function?
I... don't know. I agree it would be a good way to do it though.
But I think that, even incomplete, it would be helpful.
True.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Rex
Silhouette

Post by Rex »

No offense but.. i don't think that tnm is a game-legend like let's say.. torment or diablo 2 lod. People wouldn't want to discuss it, read about every single part of each topic. I think that just quest description and characters list should be completed, and rest is all cool right now. And the links sytem in wiki is good enouch, easy and simple.
Jonas(about Rex and Jaedar) wrote:I'm not sure what the fuck just happened, but you guys managed to finally find a way to be too off topic for OTP, and when I tried to split the thread... I failed.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Rex wrote:No offense but.. i don't think that tnm is a game-legend like let's say.. torment or diablo 2 lod. People wouldn't want to discuss it, read about every single part of each topic. I think that just quest description and characters list should be completed, and rest is all cool right now. And the links sytem in wiki is good enouch, easy and simple.
What you say is Heresy!
I think some of the writing in TNM is quote worthy, I would even say there is more quote worthy text in TNM than most games I play. And saying that it isn't as good as torment, that's like comparing a high school footballer to a national star, it just don't seem fair :P
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Rex
Silhouette

Post by Rex »

Life is not fair. >:D

But i don't know... idea itself is good, but how many people downloaded tnm or ordered the dvd? Well maybe it will be nice feature. But the work.. oh, the freaking amount of hard work...
Jonas(about Rex and Jaedar) wrote:I'm not sure what the fuck just happened, but you guys managed to finally find a way to be too off topic for OTP, and when I tried to split the thread... I failed.
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Rex wrote:Life is not fair. >:D

But i don't know... idea itself is good, but how many people downloaded tnm or ordered the dvd? Well maybe it will be nice feature. But the work.. oh, the freaking amount of hard work...
Probably >20,000 at this point, we're not really sure about exact numbers.
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

If I am understanding things correctly, and I may not be as wiki programing is something I have never looked into before today, the way to set up would be to create a namespace for reference articles (say, reference:) and then use the DynamicTabs extension to add a tab that lets you get from a generic page to its reference page.

I think. Maybe.
Rex
Silhouette

Post by Rex »

Trestkon wrote:Probably >20,000
:shock: OMFG! :shock: So maybe this idea of improved wiki is not that pointless..
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Rex wrote:
Trestkon wrote:Probably >20,000
:shock: OMFG! :shock: So maybe this idea of improved wiki is not that pointless..
Actually I was surprised it wasn't more :)
Exact numbers would be very interesting to see :P
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Rex wrote:diablo 2 lod
It has a story?
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

It looks like doing this would require adding a line like:
$wgExtraNamespaces[101] = "Reference";
to LocalSettings.php.

(It does not need to be 101, but it should be an odd number if we want it treated like a talk page instead of a content page. On the other hand if we wanted it to have talk pages of its own, I have no idea why we would, we'd want it to be even and give the talk page the odd number.)

So, where is LocalSettings.php, and who has the ability to modify it?

Next an extension would need to be installed, apparently the installation process also involves modifying LocalSetings.php.

From there it should be as straightforward as creating a page with the tabs setup on it (described here.)

So, who can do what I just described?
OiNutter
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by OiNutter »

Oh god.... I have no idea what you guys are talking about, but I know it means I'm going to have to get off my ass and do something.

Let's talk about quid pro quo.... I dick around with the wiki for 20 minutes and you all have to choose someone to rub my feet while I'm doing it.

Do we have a deal?

There may or may not be some type of fungus. I'm not making any guarantees....

EDIT FOR CLARIFICATION: Yes I did find this thread by means of my OiNutterSense. And no I am not worried about trademark infringement, because Spiderman and I are pretty much bros. We have a lot in common. For instance, we both deal a lot with the web.