Wiki

Discuss The Nameless Mod in all its glory, unrestricted by the spoiler prohibition in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Frib
Thug

Re: Wiki

Post by Frib »

To be honest, I prefer the old style as well, but I don't really mind the new style.

As long as my contributions aren't in vain, I'm happy :D
stucuk
NSF

Post by stucuk »

chris the cynic wrote:I still think the quote should be at the top of the page, even though you've chosen to demote the article itself to secondary importance.
Id have thought it would be better with the quote under the guy saying it. Having it above the guys image makes it seem out of place, having it under makes it seem like he is saying it. If you take pictures of people that have a quote on them (Ones which are hanging on peoples walls) they always have any quotes the guy sais under the picture, rather than above it.

The article isn't secondary. At the top is now just a little summery, with more detail below. Its the more detailed bit people are rearly interested in. The main thing is that now the Image of character is always seen first. You shouldn't have to hunt through the whole page just to find the image of what the page is about. It should be the first thing you see.

EDIT: If you make any new templates that use images (Like the Weapon Template) then please create a DoImage decendent (I.e DoImageWeapon). The concept is to make it so you never see Image:Bla displayed on a page because it doesn't exist. The DoImage Classes basicaly check if the image truely exists and then display a "No Image" picture in its place if it doesn't.
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

stucuk wrote:Id have thought it would be better with the quote under the guy saying it.
As you may recall, when having a quote was first proposed it was suggested that it be the first thing on the page.
If you take pictures of people that have a quote on them (Ones which are hanging on peoples walls) they always have any quotes the guy sais under the picture, rather than above it.
Of course, and that is as it should be. If we were discussing the The Nameless Mod photo gallery that would be a good model to follow. In the case of a photo gallery or a picture on a wall with a quote the picture is of primary importance. In other words, the quote is a caption, captions traditionally go underneath the picture.
Having it above the guys image makes it seem out of place, having it under makes it seem like he is saying it.
Clearly you have never encountered a comic.

There is no one way to place text to indicate a person is saying it, though if I had to guess I would say the text is placed above the person speaking more than below by quantity of images, but possibly below by quantity of formats.
The article isn't secondary. At the top is now just a little summery, with more detail below.
There was a summary at the top before. (Yes, there were two summaries.) That summary could be tailored to the character in question because it wasn't standardized. And, of course, if anyone wanted the standardized "Faction, VA, Aug, Special Item" summary it was in plain sight.
Its the more detailed bit people are rearly interested in.
I'm not totally sure what you are saying here, but I think you are saying "rarely". If that is the case then you just said the article is secondary, which would explain why you chose to format it that way.

On the other hand, if the second r is a mistake it could be "really" you were trying to say, which is the exact opposite.

If you wanted we could set up a poll, "On the wiki page for a character are you more interested in the text of the article or the character's image and a list naming the character's voice actor, faction, augmentations, and special items." Of course such a poll would have a significant problem because if someone uses a page more than once what they are interested in the first time might not be what they are interested in the second.

I'm pretty sure you don't actually mean "rearly" because I don't see a way that, "Its the more detailed bit people are early interested in," makes sense.
The main thing is that now the Image of character is always seen first. You shouldn't have to hunt through the whole page just to find the image of what the page is about. It should be the first thing you see.
You don't have to hunt through the page to see the top right corner unless there is something very, very wrong with your eyes (normal human eyes scan from side to side even when staring directly at something, I don't know why) or you are using your screen improperly (like, say, placing your eyes two inches away from the upper left hand corner and never looking away.)
stucuk
NSF

Post by stucuk »

As you may recall, when having a quote was first proposed it was suggested that it be the first thing on the page.
Given that this is the only Wiki topic i have ever seen on this forum then no i don't recall. Tho just because someone suggests doing something one way doesn't mean its the best overall way(Yes before you say it that also apply's to whatever i have suggested). Its a wiki you can easily revert any changes made. I never actualy put the quote under, i only changed one template which other people put above the quote. So insted of going on about how iv ruined the wiki, go and change it if you want it to be different.
Clearly you have never encountered a comic.
Have you? They place text inside the Box's not above or below them....
u don't have to hunt through the page to see the top right corner unless there is something very, very wrong with your eyes (normal human eyes scan from side to side even when staring directly at something, I don't know why) or you are using your screen improperly (like, say, placing your eyes two inches away from the upper left hand corner and never looking away.)
Even ignoring the fact widescreen's (Which alot of people have now) are well wide, you don't first notice stuff thats on the right side unless your resolution is very small. Its a secondary place you look after you have first looked at some of the contents. The image of a character should be the first thing people see, not a secondary thing.

The only reason i went ahead and modifyed the template was because most people seemed to say they thought my way looked better even if it wasn't perfect. In future i won't bother to modify or make templates. You seem to know best.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I don't think this wiki is neither large nor significant enough to argue over. Can't we all just get along?
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

stucuk wrote:You seem to know best.
There are two, very different, ways to interpret this statement. Given the absence of tone of voice I have no way to distinguish between the two.

If you're actually saying that I actually seem to know best then you should be aware that nowhere did I say you shouldn't make future changes.

If you aren't actually saying that then I feel that was totally uncalled for. You presented your opinion, I presented mine. There is no call to get snarky.

-

On the topic of monitors, if someone cannot see their entire widescreen they aren't using it properly. It doesn't matter how wide it may be.

Can we try to figure out every way someone might misuse their equipment. Yes, we can try. But I would ask who the wiki is for. Is it for the people who are trying to use it properly, or the people who are goofing off? It is my hope it is for the first.

As for your repeated statement that the picture should be the first thing someone sees, I don't see how your move changes that. Any normal human being has 180 degrees of vision, which means that if they aren't actively looking away from the screen they're going to see a picture in the right corner, if they are interested in it they will then focus their vision there. It alters emphasis and moves the text down, but it doesn't make the picture more visible.

I'm also not sure that I agree that the picture should be the first thing a person sees just because you say is should be. Not saying that I have a problem with it being first, but I don't see why it is as imperative as you make it out to be.

-

Also, my point about saying that the quote was suggested as being at the top of the page was not to say that it being initially suggested as being there made it correct. Instead my point in bringing it up was that the reason the quotes exist at all is for them to be at the top of the page. Perhaps that was a mistake, but I thought it was worthy of note.
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Jonas wrote:I don't think this wiki is neither large nor significant enough to argue over. Can't we all just get along?
Hi. How are you?

I don't think it is worth getting in a heated argument over, but I do think it is worth trying to determine the best format for it. Given that there is more than one concept of what that format should be there needs to be a discussion if such a determination is to be made.
Frib
Thug

Post by Frib »

I have widescreen (1920x1080) on a 37 inch TV, and I prefer the box on the right simply because it sets it apart from the main article. It stands out and is very easy to notice without having to steal space from the main article. With the summary above the main article, it's just as easy to notice but it takes up a little more space. I like to see as much on my screen as possible, therefor I prefer the extra 4-5 lines the box on the right gives.
stucuk
NSF

Post by stucuk »

chris the cynic wrote:There are two, very different, ways to interpret this statement. Given the absence of tone of voice I have no way to distinguish between the two.

If you're actually saying that I actually seem to know best then you should be aware that nowhere did I say you shouldn't make future changes.

If you aren't actually saying that then I feel that was totally uncalled for. You presented your opinion, I presented mine. There is no call to get snarky.
You were "correcting" my grammer, etc, implying that im too dumb to write a sentence. While you may not notice saying stuff like "if someone cannot see their entire widescreen they aren't using it properly." is insulting as everyone knows how to look at a monitor(Its supprisingly not hard), if they see things at the very right of the screen clearly when looking at the left side of the monitor(Where the contents starts) is a seperate thing. My "Statement" was said in a sarcasic tone. Anyway, iv rolled back the 2 templates.
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

It may be worth making a style sheet of some kind, until a moment ago we had two links to "Despot's apartment" and two to "Despot's Apartment". I have made the second standard, though if someone wants to argue that first is better that's fine too. The point is that we shouldn't be splitting things up like that. One way to stop that from happening is to have a standard style.

I am probably too lazy to actually write up a stylesheet.
Frib
Thug

Post by Frib »

another way to 'fix' it is to redirect Despot's apartment to Despot's Apartment, so both can be used for the same article
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Probably better to be consistent in the first place though. If we have someone follow a dead link to Forumplanet and write an article and someone else follow a dead link to ForumPlanet and write an article that will be annoying. Plus, a consistent style is a good thing anyway.

Also, there's nothing wrong with a reference document. If someone cares they should be able to quickly find out if it is forumplanet, Forumplanet, ForumPlanet, Forum Planet or forum planet. (ForumPlanet, by the way. Opened up the Dialogue text to check.)
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Actually it changes. I wasn't sure whether to use ForumPlanet or Forumplanet myself, so regrettably you'll see it spelled both ways at different times. Same problem with GameSpy/Gamespy.

I would say it should be spelled ForumPlanet though. But I too am not going to write a style sheet.

Incidentally I've been setting up a lot of redirection, and will continue to do so wherever it makes sense.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
stucuk
NSF

Post by stucuk »

As a rule of thumb imo all titles should use capitals for each word(Looks nicer). Links to any pages which have lowercase in there name wouldn't be hard to fix (What links here would make it simple to find every page to links to "Old" pages). Id try to avoid using redirects when its just that a page has a different case for one of its letters(You can't do multiple redirects. I.E If page 1 redirects to page 2 and page 2 redirects to page 3, then going to page 1 won't show page 3's contents).

By stylesheet i assume you mean a general set of guidelines. Stylesheet makes anyone who has done any CSS think of CSS Style Sheet's. Ultimatly guidelines are pointless. Due to the fact that people eather generaly don't look for them or don't care. You generaly find people add contents to a wiki, they can easily see how every other page of the same type is done, yet they do the page in a compleatly different style(Right Way Example, Wrong Way Example). So nomatter if there is guidelines or not, someone will always have to fix pages.
stucuk
NSF

Post by stucuk »

Could you try setting $wgUseImageMagick to false in localsettings.php and see if that "fixes" the thumbnails? Alternativly it could be $wgImageMagickConvertCommand which is the true problem(If your server has it in a different location/etc).