Wiki

Discuss The Nameless Mod in all its glory, unrestricted by the spoiler prohibition in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Wiki

Post by Jonas »

I need some help with the wiki, I can't figure out these templates.

I've stolen Wikipedia's Common and Monobook CSS scripts and tried to copy their "general video game character" template:

http://thenamelessmod.com/wiki/MediaWiki:Monobook.css
http://thenamelessmod.com/wiki/MediaWiki:Common.css

http://thenamelessmod.com/wiki/Template:Character

But as you can see, it doesn't look right.

Here's Phasmatis's entry which I've tried to update with an info box:

http://thenamelessmod.com/wiki/Phasmatis

Anybody know how this stuff works? Mind lending a hand? If we could even write new CSS stuff so we don't have to steal Wikipedia's scripts, that'd be ace, but any help would be appreciated.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
EER
Illuminati

Re: Wiki

Post by EER »

Ah, I didn't notice this yesterday. In any case, it seems the #if template stuff in the wiki is not working, so I removed it and now we have a proper template. In the long term we may find out why that doesn't work.
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
stucuk
NSF

Post by stucuk »

You don't have parser functions installed, So you can't use Parser functions. Why MediaWiki doesn't include parser functions by default is beond me as everyone who has a wiki generaly installs it. Btw when it comes to images you can use the following to insure that customisable images used in templates exist and if they don't to display a default image:

Code: Select all

{{#ifexist: image:{{{1}}} | [[image:{{{1}}}]] | [[image:default.jpg]]}}
^ Where {{{1}}} would be your input varible (Proberly {{{image}}})
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

So THAT is how you install parser functions. I was googling for it last night but didn't find this page :)
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
stucuk
NSF

Post by stucuk »

Meh, why do you have to have the crap Wikipedia Stub crap. It would be far better imo to have a WIP class, which stated it was a work in progress (More people easily understand what a WIP is rather than a stub) which also added the page to a category. You then could modify the sidebar to have a WIP link to the category, so users could easily see what pages were a wip.

Example:
Template
Wip Category
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Sure, but obvious question: Why don't you do it then?

Is it because you need admin rights?
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
stucuk
NSF

Post by stucuk »

Because you already have a Stubs template inplace and the Wiki is yours. Its imo not my place to just change how your current setup is. The sidebar thing can only be done by someone with Sysops iirc. Also if you wanted to do something simmiler with a warning stripe etc, then the CSS would have to change and an image uploaded somewhere. How its done isn't my decision.

- Sidebar page

Id Recommend changing it to something like:
* navigation
** mainpage|mainpage-description
** portal-url|portal
** currentevents-url|currentevents
** recentchanges-url|recentchanges
** randompage-url|randompage
** helppage|help
* contribute
**Category:Templates|Templates
**Category:Work In Progress|Work In Progress
**Special:Wantedpages|Wanted Pages
**Special:Wantedcategories|Wanted Categories

* SEARCH
* TOOLBOX
* LANGUAGES
Note: Id recommend when making templates to add them to a template category so the template sidebar link would show ever template that exists making it easyer for people to find the currently existing templates. (I have updated most of the templates so they are now part of the templates category)
stucuk
NSF

Post by stucuk »

Unless they fixed images that can redirect (Which was still broken in 1.13.3) then it would be nice if you would install ImageLink. Basicaly with it there could then be a page for Characters where each character is listed with a picture and there name, clicking on eather the picture or name would then goto the relevent page. A Weapons page could be done in the same way. Example.

Imo it would be good if you would place navigation links in the sidebar. For example you could have:

About
Characters
Weapons
Spoilers

Which would make navigation a whole lot easyer. (See post above for link to sidebar page)

P.S I definatly can't modify CSS pages as there protected. So i literaly can't do anything i have suggested so far. Also even the most basic WIP template would need the Parser functions installed.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Made the sidebar changes you suggested, I'll talk to Trestkon about the CSS stuff and the parser.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
stucuk
NSF

Post by stucuk »

Thanks, btw if parser functions get installed(Most templates would need it) and you need a particular template made, just ask and ill give it a shot.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Thanks a lot :)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
chrisssf
NSF

Post by chrisssf »

stucuk
NSF

Post by stucuk »

Wiki's feature a history tab which shows exactly what each person contributed to the page.
stucuk
NSF

Post by stucuk »

Id recommend that templates don't use right aligned tables. The problem with having stuff like character information on the very right is that people read from LEFT to right. Not right to left. Meaning that they are less likley to see the important character information before they read the stuff on the left. This is a common mistake (IMO) of Wikipedia. Its better to create templates that have important information at the top left area (For example having an image with text to the right side of it to save space verticaly).

And Yes i could modify all the templates, but id prefer to hear what people think first.

EDIT: Heres an example:

Wikipedia Style
My Style
Frib
Thug

Post by Frib »

You have a point with the left-right thing, but with your style it makes the page a lot longer. The advantage of wikipedia's style is that you can have two things next to each other. In-depth stuff is the main part of a page, with a small box containing essential stuff to the right. Yours turns the small box into a very wide information area, and I'm not too fond of it tbh.

If it was wikipedia's box style, but to the left, then it may work. Although I'm used to wikipedia's style already so I know where to look, and a change would just confuse me :P