Disappointment: The Sequel (Old Server Complex)

Discuss The Nameless Mod in all its glory, unrestricted by the spoiler prohibition in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Disappointment: The Sequel (Old Server Complex)

Post by Jetsetlemming »

AND THERE'S NOTHING UP THERE GODDAMNIT
:evil:
ZeroPresence
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Re: Disappointment: The Sequel (Old Server Complex)

Post by ZeroPresence »

I feel ya man, when I designed maps I always had in mind "it would be great to have stuff put here in the future for people to find" infact... you hit one of my spots right on the money! Just there were so many things to be done, and different people in charge of different things, (such as item placement, I didn't place anything, merely built the levels) some things just didn't come to be. Another area I wanted to populate with goodies was most of the roofs in Downtown, I originally wanted people to stack like maniacs and get on top of practically that entire map.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

There are several places in that map where we had no idea you could get, but DDL managed to get there during beta, so I added goodies. That place wasn't one of them.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

ZeroPresence wrote:I feel ya man, when I designed maps I always had in mind "it would be great to have stuff put here in the future for people to find" infact... you hit one of my spots right on the money!
It looks especially tempting because you can see that end area from below but the slanted walls and small gap on the sides means you can't stack or speed aug jump up there, or grenade climb. I thought for SURE I was about to find an easter egg, or at least a cache of useless ammo! (:P)
Even when I got up there and saw a barred door I tried to blow it up, thinking it was a trick. :cry:
Kee715
Illuminati

Post by Kee715 »

Did you ever think "Okay, that way = wrong way" instead of "OMFG I BET THERE IS AN EASTER EGG THERE!!!!" or whatever?

I am not quite observant enough to find everything, I do not think that something is hidden everywhere, even when there is/might be...
ZeroPresence
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by ZeroPresence »

I hereby make a suggestion, during some patch we add "Jetset Stash" skill rewards and put them and various items in ridiculous locations such as this. I will lead the project myself, in the name of exploration... to go where no man has gone before.
Kee715
Illuminati

Post by Kee715 »

ZeroPresence wrote:I hereby make a suggestion, during some patch we add "Jetset Stash" skill rewards and put them and various items in ridiculous locations such as this. I will lead the project myself, in the name of exploration... to go where no man has gone before.
Or to go here some have gone but most have not...

Oh, and you are easily pawned with an explosive barrel/crate in TNM, but everyone acts as though 'twas a battle of the ages. XD
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I repeat: Quite a lot of places like that have hidden stashes. That one does not. Would exploration be fun if you knew for a fact that you'd always find something in an out-of-the-way place? Isn't it more fun if you can't be entirely sure? Wouldn't it be a bit too predictable otherwise?
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
ZeroPresence
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by ZeroPresence »

all kidding aside though, I agree with Jonas. I was not involved in item placement, but I remember discussing many of the stashes with Jonas. Especially a few you will never find, merely because we made them so hard to find. ;)
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

The one in WCFloor2 comes to mind. That one is just unreasonable. You meanie.

(And I'm an insufferable tease, but I've come to terms with that.)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

Kee715 wrote:Did you ever think "Okay, that way = wrong way" instead of "OMFG I BET THERE IS AN EASTER EGG THERE!!!!" or whatever?

I am not quite observant enough to find everything, I do not think that something is hidden everywhere, even when there is/might be...
I'm too compulsive. If I see a place I can get to without ghosting or spending a few hours grenade climbing, I'll go there. :P
Jonas wrote:I repeat: Quite a lot of places like that have hidden stashes. That one does not. Would exploration be fun if you knew for a fact that you'd always find something in an out-of-the-way place? Isn't it more fun if you can't be entirely sure? Wouldn't it be a bit too predictable otherwise?
It's a matter of effort/reward ratio. If I only have to spend 30 seconds of work to get somewhere, I'm not disappointed. I spent 15 minutes clearing out the hover bots (I found that treskton's pistols actually work like gangbusters on 'em, five double mode shots will take them down, and if you do it crouched while far enough away normally this is fast enough to kill them before they return fire), jumping around trying to find a way to clear the gap, and then when I realized that couldn't work stacking volatile, dangerous barrels that aren't very agreeable to being stacked to get up there. :P Especially when it looks so tantalizing from below.
ZeroPresence wrote:I hereby make a suggestion, during some patch we add "Jetset Stash" skill rewards and put them and various items in ridiculous locations such as this. I will lead the project myself, in the name of exploration... to go where no man has gone before.
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/9567/tnm ... 254315.png
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/9259/tnm ... 191596.png
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/1065/tnm ... 410328.png
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/7540/tnm ... 463884.png

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/2913/tnm ... 415520.png
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/2792/tnm ... 425257.png
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/4452/tnm ... 430104.png

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/4047/tnm ... 211528.png
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/5595/tnm ... 511739.png
ZeroPresence
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by ZeroPresence »

you are a master of our trade sir, I salute you.
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

Not finding anything interesting in the back of Black ICE's head was a minor disappointment but I didn't mind too much because it only took me a couple minutes to cart the crates from the storage room over, past the turret, and get up there. :P
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Jonas wrote:There are several places in that map where we had no idea you could get, but DDL managed to get there during beta, so I added goodies. That place wasn't one of them.
As I recall, what used to be up there was a non-colliding door you could waltz right through, and THEN there was nothing.

So you know: at least you got rid of the door, right? :)
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Right :lol:
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine