how the hell did you guys kill ZP?

Discuss The Nameless Mod in all its glory, unrestricted by the spoiler prohibition in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: how the hell did you guys kill ZP?

Post by Jonas »

odawali wrote:Right, but if you DO fight him, I got the feeling that ZP was meant to be a tougher kill, like a mini boss battle. You get various clues that there is an elite assassin on your tail, then you meet him in an arena type of room with items lying around, plus after you kill him Evil Invasion even PMs me to tell me that was some fight.

From the other posts in this thread, it seems that he does indeed put up a good fight. Because I used the DTS, the encounter turned out a bit anticlimactic.
Well I'm sorry about that, but that's how Deus Ex works. You get a lot of freedom and a lot of tools to improvise solutions to any situation, so the only way to make absolutely sure a boss fight is hard, is to make your enemy immune or highly resistant to most of your arsenal beyond what the normal augs can do, and that'd be kinda lame.

Ever beat Walton Simons outside Area 51 by throwing a single LAM at him? That's Deus Ex for you - no matter how insanely augged a person is, he's still human, and he'll still die if you hit him in the face with a nanotech sword.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

And with DX's damage code, face hits are ludicrously effective.

Most of the original bosses had gratuitously inflated head health purely to make them slightly less of a 'shotgun to da face' instakill. And they're still pretty vulnerable.

Incidentally, stunning someone with the prod means that the next hit they take is at 4x damage (so hit them in the head (8x damage) for a grand total of 32x damage). So with a nanosword, even without combat strength, you can do 3200 damage in a single hit (well, technically 5 hits of 640 damage, but who's counting?).
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

And that's the way I like it to be honest.

These fights matter because you're killing a named NPC with a unique appearance and voice, whose death will be commented on by other characters. We don't have to artificially prolong the fight to give it meaning.

Or so we hope :P
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Hogeyhead
Thug

Post by Hogeyhead »

First I killed ZP with a gas grenade, those things are usefull (and a riot prod). However I have kind of a complaint, not about the fight, it was great, I found him very hard to defeat, especially because he was fast and cloaked, and I did not have an almighty assault rifle.

My complaint is that I knocked him unconcious, but the game treated him as dead, perhaps I accidentally killed him later, or perhaps I accidentally loaded another save in which I killed him, but I don't think so. I got the PM from Kylie saying I'm just an ass trying to prove that I could take him out withought killing him, then later I get another where she's going on about how I killed someone she cared about, and that I will pay.

I don't know what happened
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

It seems the game has a tendency to kill ZeroPresence if he's unconscious. Gotta look into that.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
DDL

Post by DDL »

Carcass code again, it seems. I thought we fixed that? Damn that takedamage function!
Elster
Mole Person

Post by Elster »

One time i used a gasgrenade and then shot him repeatedly in the head. (mhm, i like this sentence 8) )
The other time i just used the dai-katana, was also kinda fun ^^

It was a nice bossbattle, ZP is fairly strong, especially if you don't kill him immediatly.
DDL

Post by DDL »

I just hid. A lot. And chucked LAMs at him everytime he calmed down.

Even then it took a few.
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

Personally, this is how I did it. :3
Trafalgar
NSF

Post by Trafalgar »

I saw him coming towards me, so I had gotten out the phatgun and was aiming it at his head (in ricebag launcher mode) when he started talking to me. As soon as the conversation ended, I fired, at point-blank range, and he flew backwards and collapsed. Knowing that he was an assassin sent to kill me, I stabbed his comatose body with Digital Ronin's katana just to make sure he wouldn't come after me again later.

I thought the PMs and the conversations back at PCX HQ were rather bizarre. Everyone talked like there had been an actual battle and I had been in danger. "Oh my god, are you alright!?" One of the moderators went on about how we both showed some excellent fighting, when I fired one shot, and ZP didn't even get a single shot off - the fight was over in about a tenth of a second...

I didn't get a PM from Kylie after stabbing him, but that's probably because I assassinated her in Sol's bar earlier (in retaliation for a WC milbot trying to assassinate me when I left the Partyzone). Nonetheless, that didn't stop the PDX people from talking about Kylie as though she were alive and they had spies watching her later... Next game I'm defecting to WC solely because PDX is blatantly lying so much! :P
AgentSmithereens
Silhouette

Post by AgentSmithereens »

Just run towards him with the stun fists - one punch is enough to shock him, and from then on you can do as you please (I just punched him a few times in the face to finish him off) - easy as that.
Of course that was after I reloaded, after he annihilated me in our first fight.

Incidentally those stun fists are probably the most useful weapon in the game that I've used so far - stuns everyone with 1 punch, produces a silent takedown, and never runs out of ammo.
deuxhero
UNATCO

Post by deuxhero »

Same way here, the stun fists are great

He said he'd be back, but I am in ABI and haven't found him yet.
hozz
Thug

Post by hozz »

It happened in 10 seconds of panic.

I ran towards him, after the "talk" ran further through the opposing door, into the office room. Switched on the light due to "Hey there is a switch, maybe some kind of defense? Oh, a light..." :mrgreen:
Then I turned around, saw him in the door, fired a emp missile from GEP (acidentally, wanted to use Plasma Gun) and some explosive barrels exploded. Result: he's dead and burning :P

I luv this mod =D>
Dr.Ghosts
Mole Person

Post by Dr.Ghosts »

I prodded him with the prod.

While he was leaving the bar.
CommanderCain
Thug

Post by CommanderCain »

Well after the "Chat", i stunned him! and as he stood there spazziing out, i heard his augs trun off, so i ran behind him and ZAP! hes out cold. What a Epic battle, picked up his rifle and tossed my other one!,