Unofficial: Suggestions, Gameplay Help, and Questions topic.

Discuss The Nameless Mod in all its glory, unrestricted by the spoiler prohibition in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Scotch
NSF

Re: Unofficial: Suggestions, Gameplay Help, and Questions topic.

Post by Scotch »

Jonas, the problem with the mini aliens is not their quantity but WHEN they are introduced. My first encounter with them was in a bright orange crawlspace that distracted the player from the danger they were confronted with. Having them never face a mini alien prior and thus have no experience with being toxic-attacked in tight places, the average user may panic or blame glitches.

As with the quest arrow, you could alway give players the option. No by default, but yes if they really are stuck. Until a full walkthrough is released, such a precaution can avoid tons of wasted running around. I applaud your desire to stay true to DX, but with a world this big at least let players choose. If they want the full DX experience they can keep it off, or turn it on for brief moments where they are stuck.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Scotch wrote:Jonas, the problem with the mini aliens is not their quantity but WHEN they are introduced. My first encounter with them was in a bright orange crawlspace that distracted the player from the danger they were confronted with. Having them never face a mini alien prior and thus have no experience with being toxic-attacked in tight places, the average user may panic or blame glitches.
Yes, and I just said unless you're playing on an above-normal enemy quantity difficulty setting, they will now no longer appear in that area at all. Okay? Thanks.
As with the quest arrow, you could alway give players the option. No by default, but yes if they really are stuck. Until a full walkthrough is released, such a precaution can avoid tons of wasted running around. I applaud your desire to stay true to DX, but with a world this big at least let players choose. If they want the full DX experience they can keep it off, or turn it on for brief moments where they are stuck.
If Deus Ex already had such an arrow, we would not disable it. Implementing it would be a lot of work. Like a fantastic amount of work. Not only would we have to implement it in the GUI, we'd have to go over every map and place keypoints every step of the way towards a mission. How would we know what mission you're pursuing right now if more missions are active in your goals? I'm sure we could think of a way but just understand this is a lot of work for something we don't want to do in the first place.

So it's not gonna happen.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

Scotch wrote:Jonas, the problem with the mini aliens is not their quantity but WHEN they are introduced.
The problem with a non linear game is that the devs have no idea what order you are going to do things in.

You introduced yourself to the mini aliens. If you had gone about things differently you would have introduced yourself to them in a different place at a different time.

-

Also, Jonas already addressed that.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Fastest reply in the west, Pilgrim!

*Spins mouse on finger, pockets it, mounts his cat and rides into sunset*
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

Speaking of mini-aliens: Was a bit of perception fuckery intended with them when you first see them? First time I saw a mini-alien was underneath the AI area, I opened up a grate in the floor, saw what I thought was a normal sized alien standing about 20 feet down on a metal floor, sniped it, and went to climb down... only to find myself in a small crawlspace under the floor.
I was pretty confused for a moment there. :P
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Hahahah no that wasn't intended, but that's awesome :lol:
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

About pointers: The only time I got confused on locations was the "Desolate buildings". I had no idea what the hell they meant with that in the "get stuff" quest Downtown. It took till the Goat City note mentioning it once again that I figured what buildings were named that.

That's about the only location I think could some more clearing up for newer players (or maybe the Theme Restaurant Abomination mentions too, but the goatsign makes up for any inclearances that causes).
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
AgentSmithereens
Silhouette

Post by AgentSmithereens »

Jetsetlemming wrote:Speaking of mini-aliens: Was a bit of perception fuckery intended with them when you first see them? First time I saw a mini-alien was underneath the AI area, I opened up a grate in the floor, saw what I thought was a normal sized alien standing about 20 feet down on a metal floor, sniped it, and went to climb down... only to find myself in a small crawlspace under the floor.
I was pretty confused for a moment there. :P
Lol the exact same thing happened to me!
odawali
UNATCO

Post by odawali »

I gotta try that mini alien illusion next time. :lol: My disorientation came with Abom and OiNutter. It wasn't as severe, but I didn't realize their true size till I walked up to them.

Anyway, another password question from my no-hack playthrough: Is the account info available for the Space Station PCs you download the schematics from? I got it from the map file, but I was wondering if you're supposed to be able to figure it out in the game.

BTW while poking around TNMText.u to see if I'd missed any DataCubes with that info, I accidentally came across a comprehensive password list for WC personnel. It was apparently at one point supposed to be available for download on That Guy's computer. Here it is :mrgreen:
WorldCorp HQ Intranet Usergroups:

Management:
SBKing / layoff-mania
AClarke / Bigguy46
EHohman / honeycup
JLang / millenniumRose
KMullins / IWantTheWorld
LKinley / _shineystuff_
LTimmerman / moneymoneymoney
PETilford / IH8PAPER
SHewitt / CSFR34K

Integrated Systems:
RWeissmann / TechnoWiz
IScanlan / thetruthisoutthere
JGarfield / lasagnia
WJNesterton / 4POC4LYP53

Artificial Intelligence:
ESerpentine / artificialstupidity
ERockefeller / catz4evar
RTCallahan / labrat35
MChronley / fr4gj00

Surveillance Technology:
AMilton / WCSUCKS
JBrown / 3y3_1n_th3_5ky
GHunley / BigBrother
SMORiley / SnM

Corona Program:
CTharpe / L4s3rw0rkz
MRand / Pr0nstar38
FJarell / Isuckatpasswords
EZiegler / deutschland

Nanite Technology:
ASeel / PlaneWalker
DP / geniousatwork
FSamson / myhairsonfire
KTeller / 07april1971
TXavier / X-MAN
JLanterburry / cutiepie28

Genetical Studies:
SNBloomingdale / AOLbane
KMackie / headbanger
GAlberton / C0UNT_ZER0
TEDecker / Teh_pelvis
SBataglia / KillTheBitch
YMadison / rosebud47

Biological Testing:
DVandervort / MONSTAR
TBrin / angel_of_death
PSarcone / templar
OShenkel / IAmWarren

Security:
TBarnes / geek_in_a_uniform
JHarolds / gunnut
ALancaster / RAMBO-666
RPGranger / THE-G-MAN
JBMarshall / TEXAS_CowBoy

WCID:
KGriffin / noremorse
ZP / crozzhairs
Smith / NeoMustDIE
Jones / XION
Brown / ILikeSuits
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Hm I just checked, and it looks like I removed that option from the PC. I don't remember why I did that...

I restored it. It'll be back in 1.0.2. I hope there wasn't a really good reason I removed it in the first place!
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Jcelios
MJ12

Post by Jcelios »

Jonas wrote:I restored it. It'll be back in 1.0.2. I hope there wasn't a really good reason I removed it in the first place!
*launches secret TNM 1.0.2 beta*
OH MY GOD THE BLOOD
IT'S EVERYWHERE
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

odawali wrote:Anyway, another password question from my no-hack playthrough: Is the account info available for the Space Station PCs you download the schematics from? I got it from the map file, but I was wondering if you're supposed to be able to figure it out in the game.
You get that code from Evil Invasion in the PDX storyline (if by schematics you mean the maps).

Oh, passcode's! Neat. Always like the mails, but it's so hard to read them in the alloted hacking time. Is there any ingame way to get the DXI passcodes?
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Hassat Hunter wrote:Is there any ingame way to get the DXI passcodes?
They're in one of the emails, so just hack a PC, look for the email with the logins, print it.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
odawali
UNATCO

Post by odawali »

Hassat Hunter wrote: You get that code from Evil Invasion in the PDX storyline (if by schematics you mean the maps).
Odd, I can't remember getting it. I checked a save file made at the end of my last PDX playthrough but it isn't in my Notes or Conversations. Through the account info did look familiar when I looked it up maybe I've gotten it on a different playthrough?:/
Jonas wrote:so just hack a PC, look for the email with the logins, print it.
No chance of making the account info for that e-mail available in the game? It's kind of ironic that players who chose the easy way out with the hacking skill are allowed easy access to a full password list. How about placing the list on a secure terminal (requires high levels of computer skill), with a unique login/pass that can be found on the map? That way you reward both the hackers who invest in the skill, and the non-hackers who like to explore and find out passwords on their own.

Anyway a couple of suggestions

Weapon Placement
  • How about an early pepper gun in the game? Maybe it's available on easier difficulties that I haven't played. Since there are a lot of pepper cartridges laying around, I would probably use it if I got one for free. However if you remove it from the map nobody is going to shell out money for a pepper gun at Ravings. It's a good early weapon like the 10mm pistol and baton, but not something you want to spend money on.
  • The downtown weapon stash sidequest would be more satisfying if you didn't get a free stealth pistol in the PDX armory soon afterward.
  • Isn't the sawn-off shotgun more of a thug weapon? I think shotgun-wielding Firewalls should be carrying a standard issue pump gun (or assault shotguns later on).
Other
  • Anyone else think "Downtown" makes a more authentic and distinct station name compared to "Central District"? I'm not saying it's confusing because I've played enough TNM not to be. It's more of an ergonomic issue of having to actually "read" the station names because "Corporate District" and "Central District" look very similar at a quick glance - a "C" word followed by "District". For example you needn't actually read" the subway signs if you can simply tell the destinations by the different shapes and lengths of words like Dxxxxxx, Cxxxxxxxx Dxxxxx, Wxxx Rxxxxxxxx Dxxxxx.
Scotch
NSF

Post by Scotch »

Here's a glitch I've noticed taht most likely has been reported, but It's severe and needs addressing:

The lolcats datacube narc flag eventually disappears. I checked the flags and despite seeing it in an earlier level, it no longer is there. That would definately be a 1.0.2 worthy fix.