Unofficial: Suggestions, Gameplay Help, and Questions topic.

Discuss The Nameless Mod in all its glory, unrestricted by the spoiler prohibition in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: Unofficial: Suggestions, Gameplay Help, and Questions topic.

Post by Jonas »

Scotch wrote:Here's a glitch I've noticed taht most likely has been reported, but It's severe and needs addressing:

The lolcats datacube narc flag eventually disappears. I checked the flags and despite seeing it in an earlier level, it no longer is there. That would definately be a 1.0.2 worthy fix.
I don't know if I'd call that severe, but I've already fixed it for 1.0.2 so don't worry about it.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Scotch
NSF

Post by Scotch »

^Depriving someone of an ending they are going for and thus wasting a playthrough would be pretty severe IMO.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

It's not like it makes the ending impossible to get, you still have 4 other events to choose from and you only need to activate 3 of them.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Scotch
NSF

Post by Scotch »

Still, I'd be torqued had I not found it out.

In any case, could I just add the flag manually with the legend menu?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Yes.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Andy.G
Thug

Post by Andy.G »

odawali wrote: Since it's one of the few canisters sitting there in plain sight, I think it'd more satisfying it it were a two part puzzle of figuring out the login and getting there by the water duct. The datapad with the code to one of the blastdoors could have clues about the security login instead. The password could be hidden in one of Gwog's emails in the Firestaff room.
Personally I think the augmentation you get from this, aug vision or EMP drone was almost worthless in terms of how COOL it looks in that jar with the lazer trip mines and the bot. It looks tantillisingly at you, wanting you to come and steal it. I think that a puzzle to grab it would be much more rewarding for those willing to spend the time, and you could get some skill bonus' for not tripping the alarms Geralds pupil. < The protagonist of Thief if I got this wrong...

But if you were going to put the player (and yourselves) through such effort you might as well replace that vision aug with a much more valuable one, say regeneration. Because if that aug has been waiting in DXI for such a long time under such security, you would have thought that it'd be a MUCH rarer aug to use. (I don't consider the vision aug to be vary rare since Zero Presence has it installed, then again he has Regeneration too.....)

Also concerning the pepper gun. I was looking around for a pepper gun the entire game because there was just SO much ammo lying around. But I was still a cheap skate and didn't bother with buying one since I could by a LAM instead (which is much more fulfilling in my opinion). Where I finally did find one was on the dead body of (can't remember his name) on the space station. With this discovery, I thought to myself "This is obviously an indicator by the developers that the pepper gun is deadly towards aliens" and so charged off and was disappointed. It would have been really cool (or in my strange mind anyway) if pepper spray was deadly to aliens (or maybe even to the smaller ones?). Save me running out of ammo trying to kill every damn one of them.

And finally, I would have through a flamer based weapon would have been more effective against those smaller aliens because it's shooting out bloody flames! But lo behold, it seems that the flames don't really burn everything in their path but everything in a direct line with the flamer. Is this a engine limitation or a bug?
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Flamer: are you talking "firestaff" or "flamethrower"?

The firestaff does exhibit the behaviour you're describing, whereas the flamethrower is far more deadly.

Also, AugVision does not pair up with AugDrone: it's Vision/Target and Drone/ADS. I'm assuming the cannister is augVision/augTarget, since you mention vision a lot, and if so: that's an incredibly useful aug cannister.

Target boosts the accuracy and damage of all your weapons, and vision lets you see through walls. I cannot stress how useful that can be.

"What's in this next room? Should I just barge in? O wait!"
*vision on*
"A secbot2 that is pointed directly at me. Good job I checked, eh?"
JC_Helios
X-51

Post by JC_Helios »

Andy.G wrote: Geralds pupil. < The protagonist of Thief if I got this wrong...
The Goat cult's god? I didn't know he was a master thief. :P

I think it's Garrett....
Andy.G
Thug

Post by Andy.G »

JC_Helios wrote:I think it's Garrett....
Exactly what I was thinking, Garrett's pupil, just to keep in the System shock/Thief/Deus Ex fan base here.
DDL wrote: The firestaff does exhibit the behaviour you're describing, whereas the flamethrower is far more deadly.
Thanks for the information, I'II test it out on my next playthrough. Though I must say it is interesting to learn that the firestaff has a different characteristic flame to that of the flame thrower. Is this to distinguish the two so that neither out dates the other? (Flame thrower takes up more space but is more effective, firestaff takes up less space but is less effective)
DDL wrote: Target boosts the accuracy and damage of all your weapons, and vision lets you see through walls. I cannot stress how useful that can be.
Jeeze I don't seem to be doing well on the research side of things. In any case, you are correct in your assumption that I was refering to the vision/target aug. It must be the simple minded nature of myself that see's the Vision Aug to be a waste of time, I just stick with bullet proof and radar transparency all the time without bothering to micromanage.

Maybe I'II try it out next time.....
odawali
UNATCO

Post by odawali »

Andy.G wrote:
I agree with DDL on the Vision/Targeting aug. It's pretty fun being able to see enemy augs and also very useful to see through their cloak. The canister is pretty rare and the one in DXI is the first one you get. So, there's plenty of reasons for me to drool when I see it resting on that pedestal.

Now that you mention it I agree it's too easy to get inside the red trip beams from outside. All you get is an alarm with no turrets in the room. Maybe replace them with gold beams? :twisted: Then you either swim through the duct, or blow a portion of the emitters up (actually pretty hard to do since they're mounted on a ledge) and hop through. The first solution rewards creative thinking, the second one rewards precision (in taking out the beams and hopping through without touching the remaining beams). I'd prefer that over rewarding a specific way of solving a puzzle with skill points.

Peppergun: I actually had the same a similar idea based on the Hardcore mod peppergun but it seemed too far fetched for TNM. If GameSpy aliens were vulnerable to pepper, there would need to be some background and a TNM-style funny explanation to go with it in the game, or else it would just appear too random. I'm not sure how that would fit in without being too much of a distraction from the main plot.
Andy.G
Thug

Post by Andy.G »

odawali wrote:Peppergun: I actually had the same a similar idea based on the Hardcore mod pepper gun but it seemed too far fetched for TNM. If GameSpy aliens were vulnerable to pepper, there would need to be some background and a TNM-style funny explanation to go with it in the game, or else it would just appear too random. I'm not sure how that would fit in without being too much of a distraction from the main plot.
Well you could just say that the respatory system of the small Aliens is delicate, the pepper gas going through the air causes their throats to swell to enormous sizes until they choke or explode. Thus, a pepper gun could give the same effect as the phat gun as the aliens have their terrible reaction to it.
As for the story line, you could say that the smaller aliens are really a neausance to the bigger ones since they get into the ducts of the system and cause problems. Thus, they always keep a spare pepper gun handy for when they need to knock em off, just like a can of fly spray or something.

OR

Since the Aliens have extremely large eyes, one could say that if pepper spray were to come into contact with them it would cause a reaction making them blind. Thus a sneaky guy could spray a couple of aliens with the spray and they'd be disabled for life. OR they explode.
Elster
Mole Person

Post by Elster »

i never felt getting the aug canister in the dxi mainbuilding was really difficult, probably because i blew up some of the emitters by accident the first time, but i really liked the design of this area, the big and secure doors, the laser emitters around the pedestal... it just really looked awesome.

so there is just another thing on my mind, don't know if it is related to the update, but after installing it i started another playthrough on the pdx side, after i spoke with scara b. king and refused his offer and approched him again i got the conversation in which he orders you to kill phas (when you play for worldcorp). i even got the exp reward and credits for the botched despot mission. i don't think it is gamebreaking or something, but it is strange. just thought i mention it.
JC_Helios
X-51

Post by JC_Helios »

Well did you do the despot mission? It is possible at any time provided you know the login.
Elster
Mole Person

Post by Elster »

yeah i did, just loved that part, so i had to. But i didn't work for Scara, i worked for pdx. so this whole conversation should never have happened. i just mentioned it because maybe someone want to fix this in some update or something.
Thehotdogman
NSF

Post by Thehotdogman »

Hate to bust into an ongoing conversation, but am i the only one that thought there should have been some sort of follow up with Raving and Andreas about Black ICE? I mean, even after its destroyed Nutter's still talking about how horrible it was, i'd just like to give them some peace of mind i guess. That's my only real suggestion.
Daedalus:GlobalNode:UN//UNATCO//PUBLIC//923.128.6430/ForumPost