Unofficial: Suggestions, Gameplay Help, and Questions topic.

Discuss The Nameless Mod in all its glory, unrestricted by the spoiler prohibition in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Re: Unofficial: Suggestions, Gameplay Help, and Questions topic.

Post by Jetsetlemming »

Jonas wrote: Nope, it's a "Scaled Sprite" actor. That's why it looks the same from any angle :)
Well, you learn something new every day. I always wondered how to make those fuckers point at the player like a Doom sprite. :P I tend to just use the time honored technique of Unreal/Deus Ex and make three overlapping 2d brushes in the shape of a star.
JC_Helios
X-51

Post by JC_Helios »

Were certain storyline elements taken out of the last level, but left in the map?

There's a certain number of things which are seemingly important but appear to do nothing. Like the room just outside of where you can toy with the LEETS' security, and the AI control thingy at the bottom of the chamber "You have no business messing with this." The offline computer which is only reached by positioning the the rotatable walkway thinies.... Or maybe I'm just not observant enough. From the looks of it, it appears almost as if there was an ending to merge with Narcissus? I recall reading something like that in the bonus content even.

Suggestion:
The training rooms in which the player is allowed to play with fire, I think they would benefit from having sprinklers and/or a fire extinguisher. I know the player is invincible in training but at the very least it would be a nice introduction to the sprinklers and new fire extinguishers.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Jetsetlemming wrote:
Jonas wrote: Nope, it's a "Scaled Sprite" actor. That's why it looks the same from any angle :)
Well, you learn something new every day. I always wondered how to make those fuckers point at the player like a Doom sprite. :P I tend to just use the time honored technique of Unreal/Deus Ex and make three overlapping 2d brushes in the shape of a star.
Any actor set to Drawtype=DT_Sprite in display properties will do this.

See lights, triggers and almost everything "behind the scenes"-ey you place in maps. :)
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

JC_Helios wrote:There's a certain number of things which are seemingly important but appear to do nothing. Like the room just outside of where you can toy with the LEETS' security, and the AI control thingy at the bottom of the chamber "You have no business messing with this." The offline computer which is only reached by positioning the the rotatable walkway thinies.... Or maybe I'm just not observant enough. From the looks of it, it appears almost as if there was an ending to merge with Narcissus? I recall reading something like that in the bonus content even.
The AI chamber was originally designed to allow for an ending where you could merge with Narcissus yes, but we changed it because we thought it made Narcissus less mysterious. Like, way less mysterious. Most of the things you mention are still in use however, have you tried all of the endings yet? Remember there are 4 main endings plus 2 major variations to each of the main storyline ones :)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
odawali
UNATCO

Post by odawali »

At DXI HQ, is there any way to lower the barrier around the Targeting/Vision Aug Canister without hacking the security console? I'm doing a no-hack playthrough and can't seem to find the login/password for it.
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

Dr. Dumb Lunatic asks for ketchup near the end of the conversation with him, so shouldn't you be able to give him a bar of ketchup? It will give some functunality to this otherwise useless item.
Eddy Way
Thug

Post by Eddy Way »

seeing as we are playing inside the representation of an online forum, it wouldnt be too much of an stretch to just have a handheld teleportation device. but might break the game a bit, dunno.

perhaps you could have to link your device to a computer terminal in the level and it would then be added to your destinations list(max three destinations)?

there would have to be a penalty though like using up 100 bio energy each trip or people could just keep going back to repair/med bots.

either that or teleportation could render you naked and without items?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

odawali wrote:At DXI HQ, is there any way to lower the barrier around the Targeting/Vision Aug Canister without hacking the security console? I'm doing a no-hack playthrough and can't seem to find the login/password for it.
No but there's a way to get inside the barrier without opening it.
Made in China wrote:Dr. Dumb Lunatic asks for ketchup near the end of the conversation with him, so shouldn't you be able to give him a bar of ketchup? It will give some functunality to this otherwise useless item.
In hindsight yes, that would've been funny and neat, but it's way WAY too late for that now.
Eddy Way wrote:either that or teleportation could render you naked and without items?
I sincerely hope you're joking.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
odawali
UNATCO

Post by odawali »

Jonas wrote:
odawali wrote:At DXI HQ, is there any way to lower the barrier around the Targeting/Vision Aug Canister without hacking the security console? I'm doing a no-hack playthrough and can't seem to find the login/password for it.
No but there's a way to get inside the barrier without opening it.
Ok, I'm officially stumped.
  1. via ceiling: No ducts above that area. (Checked by ghosting around)
  2. via pedestal: No ducts, can't destroy with LAMs either.
  3. Teleport in directly: Seems unrealistic story-wise, plus how would you get out once you're in?
  4. Through the barrier itself: Because of the water, you can't get up next to the barrier to perform a grenade bounce.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Oh wait, I was thinking of the lasers.

Nah I think you're fucked then. Sorry.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
odawali
UNATCO

Post by odawali »

DXI_Security/Gwoggy :evil:
No plans on making it guessable through hints?

Since it's one of the few canisters sitting there in plain sight, I think it'd more satisfying it it were a two part puzzle of figuring out the login and getting there by the water duct. The datapad with the code to one of the blastdoors could have clues about the security login instead. The password could be hidden in one of Gwog's emails in the Firestaff room.
chrisssf
NSF

Post by chrisssf »

Is this the aug where just before you fight ZP/Slicer?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Yes.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
chrisssf
NSF

Post by chrisssf »

Hmm. I thought you could always get the aug just by going under the bit where the medical bot is??
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

For teleportation: Instead of buttons add a small floating minature-taxi, called "search". When frobbed it opens up a conversation with "search" (should be added in the dialogue file), which is just a select location (no VO needed), that then runs a trigger that does a warp.
Minimal additions to the map needed, just those cabs, triggers and spawnpoints. Also since it's a checklist in the convo-editor, you can easily disallow locations you shouldn't be at yet (or any more).

As for suggestions: Can't really think of anything at this point.
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...