delthreads.exe "puzzle" was awesome.

Discuss The Nameless Mod in all its glory, unrestricted by the spoiler prohibition in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Paul1290
NSF

delthreads.exe "puzzle" was awesome.

Post by Paul1290 »

I loved this particular "command prompt puzzle" (if you could call it a puzzle) as it was pretty fun and it fit in so well.

I was kind of left wishing there was more of its kind in the mod because there were so many places in the game where it would have seemed appropriate. I certainly would have liked to have seen a more difficult version as a alternative to the "move the blocks" puzzles (like the one to download ShadowCode) that I thought were rather annoying.

Congratulations to whoever thought it up. =D>
Arnaud G. Vasquez
Thug

Re: delthreads.exe "puzzle" was awesome.

Post by Arnaud G. Vasquez »

I agree that it was real spiffy and a fresh alternative to fetch-questing...not that I've ever minded fetch quests...

What would've been sweet is another instance of such a type of PC carousing, only without a specific PM or goal alerting the player to it. Say a hidden-away character or crate contained a disk that would allow the player to run a few programs on a specific computer that might've been alluded to by the location or appearance of the disk. Successful completion of such a discreet side quest could've yielded bounties galore and an immensely overwhelming sense of "Yeah, I just *did* that!"
I'm pretty confident in everything from the neck up.
santherus
Thug

Post by santherus »

Definitely thirded - It was a surprise to 'break' with the usual hacking method, but very welcome. I really enjoyed it. Probably the standout moment in the mod for me, oddly. =D>
Pandarsenic
Thug

Post by Pandarsenic »

I had to reload when I did that because I was playing with the commands and despite it SAYING that you didn't have the access to delete all the folders in there except Root>Sys, it really does let you wipe them all out. This left me rather confused. Once I reloaded and got it to work, though, it was pretty fun.
Scotch
NSF

Post by Scotch »

I never understood how to do the delthreads.exe puzzle. When ever I tried launching it, It said I had to be logged in as Admin, but I never knew how to change to the admin account, even Fargo's. ](*,) I'm sure had I understood it it would have been cool.
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

I am profoundly confused.

To log into an account you simply ... log in. It really is that simple.

So to log into the admin account, or Fargo's account for that matter, you log in using their log in information.

If you don't know how to get the log in information, then I simply misunderstood your post. Ignore this.
seimalau
Thug

Post by seimalau »

I tried like one whole morning until I found out I left out one fucking R in the username. 'Tis really an awesome puzzle!
Shish
Mole Person

Post by Shish »

Was this puzzle knowingly based on a real bug? (Note: reading this bug report will probably spoil the puzzle if you haven't done it already, as it's pretty obvious when you know what to look for)

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/shadow/+bug/34606
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

No, but that's a really hilarious bug.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Nervey
Mole Person

Post by Nervey »

Isn't there a computer on the ship in DX where there's an install log with a password?
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Nervey wrote:Isn't there a computer on the ship in DX where there's an install log with a password?
Yep. It's the whole "Reindeer flotilla" one, as I recall. So bonus geek points too!
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Bonus points to anybody who finds the Reindeer Flotilla connection in TNM.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine