Just finished PDX+Llama run. Thoughts on mod overall.

Discuss The Nameless Mod in all its glory, unrestricted by the spoiler prohibition in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: Just finished PDX+Llama run. Thoughts on mod overall.

Post by Jonas »

DXNathan wrote:I don't see how banning him and blowing up the station are mutually exclusive at all.
I'm sure you can come up with a reason if you think about it long enough.

The only way TNM is getting another ending is if somebody else mods it in there.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

If you want it to make sense what you need is an explanation for why banning someone would effect the LEETs that can be comunicated without recording new lines. Damned if I know how to do that. It could be argued that aliens not near the Master Control thingy would notice an unusual ban, go to investigate, realize power was distributed suicidally, and undo that power distribution. But the PDX ending and one of the WC endings requires you to go back and use that computer again so ... it doesn't make sense.

From your post I take it that you don't actually care about it making sense at this point, which is certainly far less work for you. Also, odds are it will be a very rare occurance anyway.
Dark Reality
UNATCO

Post by Dark Reality »

chris the cynic wrote:If you want it to make sense what you need is an explanation for why banning someone would effect the LEETs that can be comunicated without recording new lines. Damned if I know how to do that. It could be argued that aliens not near the Master Control thingy would notice an unusual ban, go to investigate, realize power was distributed suicidally, and undo that power distribution. But the PDX ending and one of the WC endings requires you to go back and use that computer again so ... it doesn't make sense.

From your post I take it that you don't actually care about it making sense at this point, which is certainly far less work for you. Also, odds are it will be a very rare occurrence anyway.
A satire doesn't really need to make sense to work, and in fact it works to its advantage if it does something senseless and makes it work. Now if there were a big plot hole in Deus Ex, you could really get on Ion Storm, since DX isn't a satire. Well, it is kind of a parody of all the conspiracy theories (down to Gunther's lemon lime conspiracy) but overall, it takes itself seriously enough to rise above satire and become a real, serious story. TNM is implausible from the start, but that's OK, because the game is just so damned good.

Look at the movie Crank: High Voltage. Who cares if 99% of it makes no sense whatsoever? It was a fun movie for what it was. It did what it set out to do. You could point out all its flaws (and people try) but not only are they missing the point made by the movie, they're not realizing that if the movie actually fixed everything that was broken about it, it wouldn't be as fun as it is. It would actually be pretty stupid. They wouldn't even have a movie. TNM is a game is leagues ahead of either Crank as movies, but I'm glad the TNM team focused so much more on making a great game and left a few things to the imagination (and endless debate online) than the other way around.
Do you love Off-Topic Productions and The Nameless Mod?
Join TNMST - The Nameless Mod Street Team - today.
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Let's see what I said about that in the 1.0.2 thread:
Myself wrote:* You can still get the PDX endgame when the station blows up if you banned Ryan before blowing up the LEET's. I think the blowing up should really get a check to prevent from being run IF Ryan is dead/banned, cause that would solve pretty much all Ryan endgame issues I have reported so far (like getting the Ryan ending if you banned him), including this one.
Gah, doesn't seem like I provided a possible sollution that would make that make sense.
About the only way I could think about is you need a passcode from Ryan, but that would require new VO that doesn't exist. However an option "Get LEET unlock code from Ryan" on the LEET's computer you need to press before overloading (and requires Ryan to be alive) doesn't require new VO, solves it and doesn't seem to cause any major believe-issues, so if I were Jonas I would try that way...
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Thank you for your suggestions but I hope you will forgive me when I ignore all of them and just disable the option to overheat the LEETs if you've banned Ryan.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Dark Reality
UNATCO

Post by Dark Reality »

Jonas wrote:Thank you for your suggestions but I hope you will forgive me when I ignore all of them and just disable the option to overheat the LEETs if you've banned Ryan.
I guess that makes sense from a developmental point of view. After blowing up the station, PDX ain't too happy with our boy Trestkon, so he returns to ABI to join Ryan.

Then again, I may have to look at the Ryan ending again. If you ban Ryan and blow up the station, you could probably get by with the "Trestkon walks off into the proverbial sunset" as a "**** 'em all" ending. Wouldn't be too pretty though.

But I guess you can't just go with nobody. For a PDX player, you can either serve PDX by banning Scara, or serve Ryan by overheating the LEETs. Not sure about a WC player, as I have yet to complete that side.
Do you love Off-Topic Productions and The Nameless Mod?
Join TNMST - The Nameless Mod Street Team - today.