A few questions

Discuss The Nameless Mod in all its glory, unrestricted by the spoiler prohibition in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

paralaje
Thug

A few questions

Post by paralaje »

First, a couple questions about some weapons:
-Is the quad launcher any good? I got it quite early and I thought it was going to be a great weapon but I find little to no use for it plus there's no ammo for it. At all.
-Same question for Trestkon's Pistols. I got AO's pistol and I find it much more useful.
-PHAT-rifle? What?
Now some other questions:
-I read somewhere that going to DXI (I'm about to go there) is a breakpoint in the game. What does this mean, exactly? I mean not story-wise but gameplay-wise. I won't be able to revisit some areas, some NPC's are going to disappear? Something like that?
-Can you kill the vampire in the slums? I threw everything I had at him and he wouldn't die. The only way I found to get rid of him was to let him chase me near one of the checkpoints and let him hit me once so the firewalls and robots would kill him. It worked, but then the firewalls turned aggro on me.
-Why did the firewalls attack me?
-Where did Slicer go? I met him in a cell somewhere in the WC sublevels, I set him free and gave him a combat knife. He promised to meet me back at the office but he never showed up.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: A few questions

Post by Jonas »

paralaje wrote:Is the quad launcher any good? I got it quite early and I thought it was going to be a great weapon but I find little to no use for it plus there's no ammo for it. At all.
It's an anti-personnel weapon, so if you need to blow up bots, use the GEP gun instead. The quad launcher is below-average good, but it's always good for a laugh - ROCKET SPAM AHOY!
Same question for Trestkon's Pistols. I got AO's pistol and I find it much more useful.
Well, Trestkon's pistols are the most powerful pistol in the game - one double-shot to the head will kill pretty much anybody. I highly recommend putting some recoil mods on them, since that's their main issue - don't put accuracy mods on them though, they're a bit bugged with regards to those in 1.0.2. You can get them silenced too, which IMO makes them a significantly better choice then AO's. Also they're badass.
PHAT-rifle? What?
Mostly a gag weapon, but try the ricebag launcher, it's a highly effective non-lethal ranged weapon - one well-aimed shot will knock out anybody who isn't wearing a helmet (and in fact it may even knock them out in 1.0.2), the only issue is that it's pretty hard to aim. Oh also it's pretty useful for stealth, since characters don't notice they're being shot until they die, they only notice the muzzle sound of the weapon - so shoot people from a distance, and they'll never even notice it.
I read somewhere that going to DXI (I'm about to go there) is a breakpoint in the game. What does this mean, exactly? I mean not story-wise but gameplay-wise. I won't be able to revisit some areas, some NPC's are going to disappear? Something like that?
Exactly. Also the maps that you will be able to revisit will be reset, so anything you've dropped will disappear and most things you didn't pick up will disappear as well.

Can you kill the vampire in the slums? I threw everything I had at him and he wouldn't die. The only way I found to get rid of him was to let him chase me near one of the checkpoints and let him hit me once so the firewalls and robots would kill him. It worked, but then the firewalls turned aggro on me.
He regenerates, so he's a total bitch to kill, but you can make it a lot easier by being creative. You can try throwing explosive crates at him for example, or planting LAMs to lure him into. Oh, or nuke his augs with EMP so he'll stop regenerating :P
Why did the firewalls attack me?
Because they saw a corpse and thought you killed it or picked up on some panic from another NPC. They're pretty unstable. You can use "loveme" to calm them down again if they won't calm down on their own, or you can just kill them. And take their stuff :P
Where did Slicer go? I met him in a cell somewhere in the WC sublevels, I set him free and gave him a combat knife. He promised to meet me back at the office but he never showed up.
He'll show up after the break point.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Quad Launcher is okay if heavy weapons skill is advanced or master.
I throw a lam at the vampire before getting close enough to talk
Phat rifle can kill just about anybody bar the moderators if rifle skill high enough
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

paralaje wrote: -Same question for Trestkon's Pistols. I got AO's pistol and I find it much more useful.
-PHAT-rifle? What?
Both pistols and PHAT are more for cool then usefulness, but they are still useful, PHAT is awesome for killing enemies silently from far away.
paralaje wrote: -I read somewhere that going to DXI (I'm about to go there) is a breakpoint in the game. What does this mean, exactly? I mean not story-wise but gameplay-wise. I won't be able to revisit some areas, some NPC's are going to disappear? Something like that?
You won't be able to revisit any areas (or rather, they will change, so any items you leave behind are dead, and some will just become unavailable) You also won't be able to take any side quests you missed. So make sure you are prepared.
paralaje wrote: -Can you kill the vampire in the slums? I threw everything I had at him and he wouldn't die. The only way I found to get rid of him was to let him chase me near one of the checkpoints and let him hit me once so the firewalls and robots would kill him. It worked, but then the firewalls turned aggro on me.
Yeah, you can kill him but he has a lot of health, explosives or a DTS is reccomended :) (fire is useful too). The firewalls probably attacked you because you started the combat, or you hit one of them.
paralaje wrote:-Where did Slicer go? I met him in a cell somewhere in the WC sublevels, I set him free and gave him a combat knife. He promised to meet me back at the office but he never showed up.
He hasn't showed up yet, you mean.

Damn got beaten to it, oh well posting anywayz
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I win at reply speed :mrgreen:
Jaedar wrote:You also won't be able to take any side quests you missed.
Actually a few of them do carry over (Black ICE comes to mind), but yeah, most of them will expire.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Amitabho
Mole Person

Post by Amitabho »

1. There's quite a bit in the OSC and the DXO storage room; otherwise, look around. There's plenty. When I came to the stash in the OSC, my rockets were too full. It's not that good, anyways; It's rather impractical, don't you think? A rocket to kill a human?

2. Not so sure about this, but it depends on personal preference; I never found AO's pistol, anyways, so I can't comment.

3. The PHAT-Rifle is good for killing people from far away, since it doesn't do any (or at least much) damage, and has really long range. The ricebag launcher mounted on it is good for knocking ZP out twice so you get that nice soundclip in the ending.

4. When you get out, everything will be reset. DO NOT LEAVE ANYTHING BEHIND OR YOU WILL REGRET IT 'TIL THE END OF TIME EVERLASTING.

5. You can. Or you could just KO him with the ricebag launcher and pull his teeth out when he's unconcious. Ow.

6. I have no clue- maybe it's because you did something illegal before?

NOTE: Crap, like 10 posts before I finished typing, lol.
7. Maybe he died en route.
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

The easiest way is to kill Nosferatu is to go to him before getting Yardbomb's mission, walk behind him, and slap him on the back of his head (DTS). Voila.

Also, the Karkian in the sewers is hostile, but doesn't attack you until you attack him. Which is useful ;) (I usually throw a single LAM to do the job).
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

Once again, I really don't get why the Quad-Launcher is regarded as the weak impractical brother of the GEP gun. It holds much more ammo, it can neutralize any bot in one hit (EMP rocket anyone?), and as Jonas pointed out - it can take out any human in 1 regular rocket. So, while not doing much of a peripheral damage, it can take out anything in 1 direct shot (+IT'S A HOMING MISSILE) when used smartly, therefore getting 4 kills per clip, which is nice. Also, from 1.0.3 and forth, it should take only 4 inventory spaces, making it the most compact heavy weapon.

And it's a life saver in the OSC, since the EMP pistol ammo may run very low, and due to its semi-high damage and EMP damage capabilities, it's the perfect replacement.
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

EMP rocket anyone?
GEPs can use these too, you know?
+IT'S A HOMING MISSILE
Uhm, so is the GEPgun missile. And it's lock on beep is less annoying.
therefore getting 4 kills per clip
The splash damage of a GEP Rocket can take down many more if near each other.
Also, from 1.0.3 and forth, it should take only 4 inventory spaces, making it the most compact heavy weapon.
As would the Napalm Launcher. But I have to agree; making it only 4 slots certainly finally gives it it's edge above the GEP that it desperately needs.
And it's a life saver in the OSC, since the EMP pistol ammo may run very low
It does? 8-[. 2 or 3 zaps should take down a hoverbot, and there is plenty of chargers for it to make up for that.
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
Rex
Silhouette

Post by Rex »

AO pistol is a sniper rifle substitute for pistol using peoples. Trestkon pistols are main atacking weapon, they got big clip good damage ect. ect. Vampire is easy to kill(you can kil anyone except phas,kk and that guy[hes hologram]) in few hits of dts(can buy it in slums for 1500). GEP gun(i don't saw it's homing missle to no beep, count down to lock target,nothing O_O) got emp rockets to, and i think it must be 2 emp rockets for military bot. Ah and quad rockeds don't blow up bodies.
Phat rifle is good for koing, if you have maxed rifles ricebags fly perfectly straight for biig distance, and phat rays got biiiiiiig range, also changed scope graphic is cool.

btw: when patch 1.0.3 will be relased?
Jonas(about Rex and Jaedar) wrote:I'm not sure what the fuck just happened, but you guys managed to finally find a way to be too off topic for OTP, and when I tried to split the thread... I failed.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Hassat Hunter wrote:
+IT'S A HOMING MISSILE
Uhm, so is the GEPgun missile. And it's lock on beep is less annoying.
Yeah, but the gepgun takes several seconds to lock on.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

First of all, I totally agree with you that the QL's lock-on beep is very annoying, and I also agree that the GEP gun has a lot more of killing potential because of its damage radius. But unless the enemies are only in a tight group and are far away from you, it's useless compared to the QL, not to mention its horrible reloading time, which, unless you are on the run\have invested in heavy weaponary skill, can cause you a lot of damage and trouble.
Also, when they both kill everything they hit, it's a matter of question which hits more per clip, and which is more versatile - and for me, it's the QL - it's just useful also for close range, and can take care of a shitload of bots with only one clip.

And still, 2 EMP rockets per military bot are only half of a clip. I'm not sure if that's correct or not (don't have TNM at the moment, HD issues), but the one encounter I remember with bots and QL was the WC fighting scene in day 2, and I do believe the QL took every bot with 1 EMP rocket.
JizzyJeff
UNATCO

Post by JizzyJeff »

In regards to killing the vampire, he always runs toward you so it's a great time to use molotovs.
My name is not Jeff.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Heh weird I think the quad launcher's lock-on is WAY less annoying than the GEP's. Could just be because I'm sick and tired of the GEP sound though. At least it's objectively faster :P
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
paralaje
Thug

Post by paralaje »

Thanks for the answers.
I actually had to google to find out what DTS stands for -.- I did find the merchant in the slums selling one but I decided not to buy mostly because I try to avoid fights. Specially melee ones. My rule is: Don't go melee with anyone you can't knock out with the almighty baton. Btw, I'm glad to see the baton is still the best weapon ever.
About the weapons I asked about, I think I'm going to drop the quad launcher and get either the PHAT-rifle or a GEP gun. I kept and plan to keep Trestkon's pistols for they badass-ness.
After doing some more reading, two more questions come to mind:
-Will the cult missions still be available after DXI?
-Can you avoid getting the Narcissus ending if you already found 3+ flags? Please don't tell me what the ending is about.