Your most stupid death

Discuss The Nameless Mod in all its glory, unrestricted by the spoiler prohibition in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Delta2501
UNATCO

Your most stupid death

Post by Delta2501 »

Anyone manage to die in a really stupid way? I had one just now where I hacked the firestaff terminal and immediately ran over to pick up the thing with my speed aug on. The staff stand landed on top of me and killed me. I'm almost compelled to refer to it as epic fail. Though I'll resist the temptation.

Anyone else died in ridiculous circumstances? Suicide via red biocell has to be fairly high up there.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Re: Your most stupid death

Post by bobby 55 »

Yep, the red bio cell and the last vestiges of health, bye bye. Mine I suppose would be the vortex grenade, the target, everything not permanently placed, and myself were made into cosmic dust. :lol:
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I have at least once killed myself by shooting the source code datacube in the Downtown district.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Kee715
Illuminati

Post by Kee715 »

I threw a Vortex Grenade at Kylie on the Space Station and she ran up close to me, so I stupidly ran away INTO THE VORTEX. Then I reloaded, and stupidly did the same thing again. Then I reloaded, again, and then as I was about to throw the Vortex Grenade, my mouse spazzed out (a very rare occurrence) and I threw the Vortex grenade into the wall next to me.

I have thrown a Molotov Cocktail upwards.

I have used too many Red Biocells.

I tried to search a burning body.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Hahahaha! Thanks Kee, I'm happy not to be alone with mis-adventures.
Delta2501
UNATCO

Post by Delta2501 »

I imagine most people have had a grenade rebound into their faces at least once. One I did recently was in the illusion cage with all the eyes in Despot's Appartment. For the fun of it/roleplaying being scared I started firing quad rockets towards the eyes and accidentally hit the cage bars, self-destructing. I guess that's what Despot hoped would happen.

Edit: Was that a joke or does shooting the cube really kill Trestkon? TNM is just full of details like that.
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

It really does to damage. It's not that it automatically kills you or anything.
Grammatolatry
MJ12

Post by Grammatolatry »

I had low health, found the Daikatana, and thought "cool! don't have to buy from Yardie!"
Swing swing swing, "hey wait, my health is lower. Is it though?"

Swing swing swing

dead...
wink wonk
JC_Helios
X-51

Post by JC_Helios »

It's been a while, but I seem to remember doing a stupid thing with Treskton. I lowered his health to the point where he was in "flee" mode. So I sat there laughing at him and debating whether he really deserved to die; having nice teary eye'd moments where I'd go: " No, I can't! He's a part of me and he just wants a chance to live the poor guy. :(" Eventually I decided to kill him or knock him out, I forget.... So I hit him once and *WUUUSH* DTS to my face.

Apparently regeneration can turn off "flee" mode, but the NPC only catches on to this after they take damage again.
Delta2501
UNATCO

Post by Delta2501 »

I remember regeneration ending 'flee' mode when I was trying to knock out Nosferatu with the baton after using the DT get him to run. After a few baton strikes while fleeing he started attacking me again. If it is the attack that causes them to change their behaviour I'm guessing that's also why gassed (eye-rubbing) guards will start attacking you again if you shoot them, even if still in the gas cloud.

I'm guessing most people have underestimated the power of an explosion and blown themselves up with a LAW/TNT crate. One of the things that I like in DX/TNM is explosions really feel genuinely powerful and valuable, unlike some games where enemies can take a dozen rockets to the face and walk away. The fact that the only effective defence (agressive defence aug) doesn't stop the explosion itself is another testament to how powerful explosives are (even Silver Dragon dies after one LAM).
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

I don't know if this qualifies as stupid or not paying attention, but while having a long swim in a pipe in the sewers I equipped a rebreather and instead of hitting use at the vital moment I right clicked and put back in the inventory....... *gurgle gurgle*
AgentSmithereens
Silhouette

Post by AgentSmithereens »

I remember the very first time I played TNM, my first ever death was fairly ridiculous. I was in Phas's apartment, trying to climb up to the balcony, without setting off the guards' alliance trigger. So I'd got on top of the vending machine, and tried to grenade-climb up. Unfortunately little did I know that jumping on a tranquiliser mine = instant death.

Then there was the time in DX where I got up to the end of Hong Kong without saving, and by mistake speed-jumped on top of Jock's helicopter...
Kee715
Illuminati

Post by Kee715 »

AgentSmithereens wrote:Then there was the time in DX where I got up to the end of Hong Kong without saving, and by mistake speed-jumped on top of Jock's helicopter...
You as well? I am glad I am not the only one to encounter stupid deaths. :D

Oh, I just remembered, once in the Old Server Complex (is that deserving of the spoiler tag?) I ran past the elevator traps, but the first time through on the first one I went by too quickly. I passed it and less than 1 second later I thought "Nothing? WTF?" and jumped back in to investigate.

*Squish*

I am so glad I am more perceptive in reality, otherwise I probably would have died before even playing Deus Ex, which I first played in '04.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

That reminds me, has anyone upped the difficulty but treated explosive crates the same. Big mistake, Kee talking about OSC made me remember starting the reactor with an explosive crate . I was playing a tougher level but threw a crate in from the same distance.
Tres was plastered all over the room. :)
Servalan
Thug

Post by Servalan »

I don't have a TNM death to match my most stupid DX death (yet), but a few have come close.
Delta2501 wrote:The staff stand landed on top of me and killed me.
This is a candidate.
Kee715 wrote:I tried to search a burning body.
This is another.

Others include running into the wall in the old clinic in the Slums and being shredded by the second LAM instead of grabbing it; several instances of falling off buildings / ladders / other high places (it's hard enough to kill Athena without falling off the damned ladders as well); momentarily forgetting that (duh!) Kashue is invulnerable and dying as I tried to kill him; being caught in the backwash of a WP rocket as I killed Kylie... Geez, I've clocked up a few. :lol:
And I hope, and I dream, and I pray
That sometime we'll find a way