Random Crashes in Space Station

Let us help you solve any problems you might have with TNM. This forum should remain spoiler-free - if your problem is spoilery in nature, please post in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
Please only use this forum for problems of a technical nature. If you're stuck somewhere in the game, post in the TNM Spoiler Zone forum. If the game crashes, you can't load a savegame, or something just plain isn't working, this is the place to post.
JC12
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Random Crashes in Space Station

Post by JC12 »

Currently experiencing frequent crashes on the Space Station Level, specifically in the Admin Area.

I'm not sure but I think it might have something to do with the Music. Sounds silly but when I sneak around and Stealth kill an alien the combat music starts and then about 10seconds later it crashes (Maybe a Coincidence). Doesn't always happen but 4/6 times I've tried does.

Also to note it crashes without any error messages or anything, nothing is even listed in Event Viewer.

Attached the TNM Log for your viewing pleasure.
Attachments
TNMLog_JC12_02.rar
TNM Log 02
(3.44 KiB) Downloaded 335 times
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: Random Crashes in Space Station

Post by Trestkon »

Doesn't sound silly at all, JC12! There's a known bug with the ogg player that causes these crashes. I should be fixed in the 1.0.1 patch on Wednesday :) Of course, instead of waiting you can just grab the file Jim attached to this post:

viewtopic.php?p=39461#p39461

And replace the one you have in your DeusEx\System directory :)

EDIT: Hmm, nothing in the event viewer? That's odd...but try the updated DXOgg.dll anyway and see what happens.
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
JC12
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by JC12 »

Yep I've got Jim's latest fix installed. All the dxogg related errors usually showed themselves up after the crash and in the Event Viewer which leads me to believe it may not be a problem with the Ogg player. Unless Jim made it so the related errors don't show up?

I shall fire up TNM again and try to force the crash in a different way. I'll not attack (thus no combat music playing) and see if the same happens.
JC12
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by JC12 »

Hm, after a few crashes I left TNM for a bit but as soon as I got back on there were no more crashes! :P

Very odd...
NatVac
Thug

Post by NatVac »

That crash was actually for an Alien getting lost or stuck, JC12. From your log:
Critical: alien 24_SpaceStation01.Alien10 (Function DeusEx.ScriptedPawn.Patrolling.PickDestination:0001) Runaway loop detected (over 10000000 iterations)
I had a similar patrolling runaway-loop crash with an Alien Phaser. I used "killall Phaser" (I think that's what I did) to get past the problem with a particular save.

I wonder if there is any way to simply stall the pawn, to keep the game from crashing. I know this might break other stuff, but crashes are frustrating, especially when dealing with the mini-aliens hidden in the bright red stuff. You die a lot, you groan a lot, and then you scream when the game crashes on reloading the quicksave.

The space station level had a few of these gotchas, though. Notable ones involves the choices (spoiler'ed):

• When you choose "anarchy" (blow up the station), the game crashes right after the ending cutscene with Ryan. No credits, no denouement. Log file ends abruptly, and there is nothing in the XP Event Viewer (except COM+ warnings at boot).

• When you overheat the LEET cores and then choose to ban Scara as the station is breaking up, you get the Scara-banned "good" ending, with the comments about locking up the station and giving the keys to Trestkon. And then it crashes after the cutscene with another aborted log, although this time it has quite a few Accessed None ScriptWarnings about TNM.tnmAugDefense.FindNearestProjectile:0097 and TNM.tnmAugDefense.Active.Timer:0025 before the log just ends. Again, nothing in the Event Viewer.

Space Station not-crash: Why can't I pick up the unconscious Kylie? I wanted to carry her back to Ryan's shuttle...

And the "PDX - Save DD, Ban Scara" ending was clean and professionally done! =D> I loved the storyline wrapup after the credits. A very, very satisfying closure.

(Off-topic: Forum bug: Using the LIST option in a spoiler tag results in black text on blue background, not black on black.)