TNM launch problem - Wine_Jaunty

Let us help you solve any problems you might have with TNM. This forum should remain spoiler-free - if your problem is spoilery in nature, please post in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
Please only use this forum for problems of a technical nature. If you're stuck somewhere in the game, post in the TNM Spoiler Zone forum. If the game crashes, you can't load a savegame, or something just plain isn't working, this is the place to post.
KiDroboto
Mole Person

TNM launch problem - Wine_Jaunty

Post by KiDroboto »

Hi! I am new to the forums but not to the game. I LOVE this mod, best modification ever created, just so much quality added that it feels like a different game all together.

I very recently started to tinker with linux and have installed Jaunty (Ubuntu 9.04) onto both my desktop and my laptop in a dual boot setup. Now before I proceed I do realize that the TNM team does not officially support Linux, however I figured this would be a good place to post to see if anyone recognises this error.

I have attached a screenshot of the error I get when I start TNM after running it from the shortcut. I am using the latest build of Wine and am using the Steam version of Deus Ex GOTY. I also did install the mod in the right order (to the best of my knowledge), first installing and running Deus Ex (which runs BEAUTIFULLY in linux btw, better than in Windows from my experience), then installing TNM, then the 1.0.4 patch.

Any ideas?
Attachments
The error I receive when launching TNM
The error I receive when launching TNM
Jcelios
MJ12

Re: TNM launch problem - Wine_Jaunty

Post by Jcelios »

Well in my complete layman opinion DX.dx is the map file that loads for the background of the menu screen. The Ion storm logo etc.
It looks like TNM has its own dx.dx map for it's menu in DeusEx/TNM/Maps/dx.dx.
I have no idea why it would be having trouble loading it. Looks like a generic error. (don't quote me on that :P)

TNM requires the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package to be installed. Even under wine.
You can find it here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... 02b2af5fc2

Oh I also just noticed that you're using the steam version.
That actually adds an extra layer of complexity to the problem.
As I understand it you can get TNM to run on the steam version it just requires a bit of extra work.
See this thread for details: http://www.offtopicproductions.com/foru ... 06&start=0
But the quick summery is that the DeusEx.exe that comes with the steam version is different from the DeusEx.exe in every other normal version and this borks up mod installs. If you can get a regular DeusEx.exe and just swap it out (like from a downloadable Deus Ex v1.112fm patch) it should work.
Last edited by Jcelios on Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
KiDroboto
Mole Person

Post by KiDroboto »

Jcelios wrote:Well in my complete layman opinion DX.dx is the map file that loads for the background of the menu screen. The Ion storm logo etc.
It looks like TNM has its own dx.dx map for it's menu in DeusEx/TNM/Maps/dx.dx.
I have no idea why it would be having trouble loading it. Looks like a generic error. (don't quote me on that :P)

TNM requires the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package to be installed. Even under wine.
You can find it here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... 02b2af5fc2

Oh I also just noticed that you're using the steam version.
That actually adds an extra layer of complexity to the problem.
As I understand you can get TNM to run on the steam version is just requires a bit of extra work.
See this thread for details: http://www.offtopicproductions.com/foru ... 06&start=0
But the quick summery is that the DeusEx.exe that comes with the steam version is different from the DeusEx.exe in every other normal version and this borks up mod installs. If you can get a regular DeusEx.exe and just swap it out (like from a downloadable Deus Ex v1.112fm) it should work.
Quick question, is the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package the same package that installs with Deus Ex upon installation? If not I'll retrieve that and install it in Wine. Also, I do remember the Steam install being tricky (hehe I did actually find that post that you linked to earlier and read it to double check). So one thing I haven't tried just yet is finding a retail Deus Ex executable, so I will attempt to do so and will post back with results of this path. I plan on uninstalling and reinstalling Deus Ex, replacing the executable and then installing the mod then the patch.
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

KiDroboto wrote:Quick question, is the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package the same package that installs with Deus Ex upon installation? If not I'll retrieve that and install it in Wine.
It is not, no.
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
KiDroboto
Mole Person

Post by KiDroboto »

Got it to work and guess what, it was because I was trying to use the Linux shortcut. When you install a program in Wine and the program offers to make desktop shortcuts, the installer creates 2 shortcuts. The first shortcut is a linux shortcut (desktop configuration file according to their file type 'properties'), the second shortcut is a windows 'lnk' file (standard windows shortcut file).

I found out last night that you can run a '.lnk' by right clicking on the file and choosing to use the Wine Windows Program Loader to run it. So I tried that with the TNM shortcut on my desktop, expecting the error I have been receiving. However it launched right into the game with no problems! I was so excited to hear the music load up! =D> Awesome timing too, I've been fiddling with a few versions of linux since I'm practically snowed in today so now I have time to test the game out completely in Ubuntu. Thank you for the assistance! Off to go shovel (again) and then I'll come in and jump into training! :D :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen:
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

KiDroboto wrote:Got it to work and guess what, it was because I was trying to use the Linux shortcut. When you install program in Wine and the program offers to make desktop shortcuts it creates 2 shortcuts. The first shortcut is linux shortcut (desktop configuration file according to their file type 'properties'), the second shortcut is a windows 'lnk' file (standard windows shortcut file).

I found out last night that you can run a 'lnk' by right clicking on the file and choosing to use the Wine Windows Program Loader to run it. So I tried that with the TNM shortcut on my desktop, expecting the error I have been receiving. However it launched right into the game with no problems! I was so excited to hear the music load up! Awesome timing too, I've been fiddling with a few versions of linux since I'm practically snowed in today so now I have time to test the game out completely in Ubuntu. Thank you for the assistance!
Good job on solving it! I should have probably thought to suggest it had something to do with the shortcut #-o
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
Fusion
Mole Person

Post by Fusion »

KiDroboto wrote:Got it to work and guess what, it was because I was trying to use the Linux shortcut. When you install a program in Wine and the program offers to make desktop shortcuts, the installer creates 2 shortcuts. The first shortcut is a linux shortcut (desktop configuration file according to their file type 'properties'), the second shortcut is a windows 'lnk' file (standard windows shortcut file).
Huh, that's kind of strange. I always run it from the menu (Applications->Wine->Programs...), which is also based on a .desktop file, and it works fine. Any launchers that got created on the Desktop I deleted right away, so I don't know if they worked or not. The only problem I encountered was that the menu item included the -hax0r option (which enables cheats) and for some reason editing the menu to remove it had no effect. I think that is because the original .desktop file (located under ~/.local/share/applications/wine/Programs/The Nameless Mod v1.0.4) still included the unwanted option, and the menus get rebuilt based on those files. I eventually edited that file and ran update-menus, which seems to have fixed the problem.

It might be interesting to see the content of the failing .desktop file. It's plain text, so you can paste right into the forum (inside 'code' tags for best results).