Having some trouble running TNM.

Let us help you solve any problems you might have with TNM. This forum should remain spoiler-free - if your problem is spoilery in nature, please post in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
Please only use this forum for problems of a technical nature. If you're stuck somewhere in the game, post in the TNM Spoiler Zone forum. If the game crashes, you can't load a savegame, or something just plain isn't working, this is the place to post.
ETPC
Thug

Having some trouble running TNM.

Post by ETPC »

Hi there!

So, after finishing my most recent playthrough (3rd? 4th?) of DX (feat. dx10 renderer, NV, HDTP and BioMod!), I decided to play some DX mods because I never tried *any* of them! I decided to start with TNM after hearing lots of glowing praise for the sheer depth of the mod but I ran into a snag.

See, I'm using Kentie's Deus Exe for loading mods, and was able to run NV, HDTP and BioMod all together successfully, but when I tag out BioMod and swap in TNM, the menu map is changed but everything else stays as vanilla DX. I also tried to launch it straight from the TNM exe but that continuously crashes (this might have something to do with the HDTP related edits I made to the TNM ini) in both DX10 and the enhanced opengl renderer.

What gives? I'm playing this on Windows 8.1 on a steam copy of Deus Ex GOTY. Is there something I'm missing? Some new loader that might make things easier?

Thanks for your time! <3

Edit: This happens on other mods too, not just TNM. I just tried Nhilium and it did the same thing. Menu map changed, everything else is the same. There is something I'm DEFINITELY missing here.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Re: Having some trouble running TNM.

Post by bobby 55 »

Did you also swap TNM's exe with Kenties and rename the Kenties to TNM?

Here's some Steam/mods related stuff. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1206
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
ETPC
Thug

Post by ETPC »

Oh. No, I didn't do that. Do I have to do that with every mod I run?

I'm a tad confused. Wouldn't this mean I then lose Kenties functionality?

I also have a GOG copy I could use. Would that be better?
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

No, in the contrary. Download Kentie's laucher and rename it to TNM.exe and replace the current TNM launcher with the newly renamed file.

Launching more complex mods just by modifying the data directories of a vanilla install is most likely not going to work. Mods like that usually makes more extensive modifications to the .ini files then just what data directories it has, for instance does TNM have it's own rootwindow, gameinfo and player class. None of these changes would be present if started from a vanilla install with other data directories.
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.
ETPC
Thug

Post by ETPC »

So I simply replace the exe and then everything will work?
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Yeah, rename it (the new exe) TNM.exe and as bjorn98009_91 suggests, launch the mod from that. Steam's exe for DX is slightly changed from the exe on a disc and doesn't play well with mods anyhow. Changing both Deus' and TNM's exes with Kenties sorts that out, so to speak.

Edit: I have a GOG copy and still change both exes with Kenties, and that works fine. :smile:
ETPC
Thug

Post by ETPC »

Ok, so I backed up TNM's exe, backed up kentie's exe (which i already used to override the steam exe) and renamed the backup to tnm.exe.

Same thing happens. Menu map changes, nothing else does. I made sure to activate TNM, HDTP and NV in kentie's launcher.

Sigh.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

ETPC wrote:Ok, so I backed up TNM's exe, backed up kentie's exe (which i already used to override the steam exe) and renamed the backup to tnm.exe.

Same thing happens. Menu map changes, nothing else does. I made sure to activate TNM, HDTP and NV in kentie's launcher.

Sigh.
Erk, I gotta go but I'll be back later, hopefully with a helpful suggestion. There are some clever people here so don't get too discouraged just yet.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

You must start TNM from its shortcut, you can't launch it from the exe directly. So if you launch from the TNM shortcut you get kentie's laucher that pops up, right? Then it should really be just to press play. If that doesn't work let me know.
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.
ETPC
Thug

Post by ETPC »

Hahaha, it's no problem at all! I just wanted to play some Deus Ex mods before I get deep into my first year of college starting tomorrow, hah.

Ah! Ok, I'll try that, Bjorn.

Edit: Wow! That's all it took? Working perfectly now :D

Thanks to both of you!
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Oh, good to hear. Enjoy. Thanks to bjorn98009_91 for the correct info.