TNM for mac

Let us help you solve any problems you might have with TNM. This forum should remain spoiler-free - if your problem is spoilery in nature, please post in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
Please only use this forum for problems of a technical nature. If you're stuck somewhere in the game, post in the TNM Spoiler Zone forum. If the game crashes, you can't load a savegame, or something just plain isn't working, this is the place to post.
skizzzo63
Thug

Re: TNM for mac

Post by skizzzo63 »

justanotherfan wrote:I always preferred iCab. Fast and 68k compatible.
Oh, I'll give it a try.
I'm also using Mozilla 1.3 for IE-Incompatbile websites, but there are more and more sites requiring newer browsers. :(
justanotherfan wrote:Which upgrade did you get?
An OWC Mercury G4/1.4.
At 209$, it was a good alternative to a louder G4 MDD. And, except for modern games, I usually don't feel the need for more speed. 8)
Alas, with it my Formac TV Card stopped working, and - in OS9 - sound often doesn't work. :(

I think it's a 7455 processor. I chose it, because it goes smoother with OS9 (no need to system patches).
justanotherfan wrote:yet another reason Macintosh users love the Macintosh, but hate Apple :)
Since a long time, Apple didn't offer me what I wanted, so I didn't buy my Mac from them :)
justanotherfan wrote:What was your first Mac?
Mac LC. "LC" stand for "Low Cost", and that was the reason. ;)
Then Quadra 650 (excellent), Performa 6400 (disappointing), G3 Beige (excellent), and now the G4 DA (very good).
I sold all of them when buying new ones... I'm totally for recycling. 8)
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Oh yeah, iCab 68k was up to date as of 2006. I still miss the Filter Manager, setting site preferences using easy bash-type regex (eg. "Javascript on, cookies off for http://*.apple.com/*). The latest for PPC carbon is from 2008. It's the browser I used on my Performa 460 32.3mhz, though the inclusion of CSS did slow it down a bit. Mozilla was such a resource-hog. The application itself was bigger than my 460's hard drive, and iCab was something like a megabyte, but I think it's 5mb now.

OWC was great. The only problem was that their prices never changed, ever. I'd probably buy a processor upgrade for my G4 still, but it wouldn't be worth much. Maybe I can find one used.

I'm pretty sure USB audio works in OS 9. That's how I got SPDIF out. I probably still have my Soundblaster Mac in the closet, but hopefully not, since it had the most unstable drivers ever on the Macintosh (aside from Microsoft's Intellimouse drivers, which crashed).

I liked the Digital Audio G4, especially for the gigabit ethernet and GeForce 2 MX, though ISTR the GeForce OS9 drivers were never Apple's focus; ISTR they had terrible trouble with Quickdraw3D and RAVE games, though OpenGL was fine and fast. You can cheaply add PC USB2 and the USB sound card, though I can't remember which cards were OS 9 compatible; I can check what I used, but I started with OS X DP4 and may not have kept OS 9 compatibility. There's USB video input, but who knows what of that'll be OS 9 compatible. I think LaCie used to sell a firewire video input/output thing, because I remember wanting to buy one.
skizzzo63
Thug

Post by skizzzo63 »

justanotherfan wrote:I liked the Digital Audio G4, especially for the gigabit ethernet and GeForce 2 MX, though ISTR the GeForce OS9 drivers were never Apple's focus
I got a GeForce 4 4600 Ti 128MB and it runs really good. :)

Obviously it's not enough for COD 5 Modern Warfare or Halo 3 :lol: but it rendered Myst V beautifully.
justanotherfan wrote:You can cheaply add PC USB2
I got it. 8)
justanotherfan wrote:I think LaCie used to sell a firewire video input/output thing
I solved the TV problem connecting an external DTT decoder to the video input of the TV card; now the card doesn't use its internal tuner, and just displays the video signal in a window.
And it works. :)
(I think the problem had to do with strict tuner timings)

I'm afraid we are exceedingly going OT, though! :lol:
Cheers,
Skizzo