Testers wanted for DXOgg.dll fix

Let us help you solve any problems you might have with TNM. This forum should remain spoiler-free - if your problem is spoilery in nature, please post in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
Please only use this forum for problems of a technical nature. If you're stuck somewhere in the game, post in the TNM Spoiler Zone forum. If the game crashes, you can't load a savegame, or something just plain isn't working, this is the place to post.
stucuk
NSF

Re: Testers wanted for DXOgg.dll fix

Post by stucuk »

Query: why didn't you add Exception handling(I posted a link to a MSDN article on it pages ago)? It would help to narrow down errors.
Scale
NSF

Post by Scale »

Ok had some school stuff to take care off, anyways here is the new crash i have been having.

I hope this means something to you jim :P If not i could probably show you how to use this information in combination with the source code.
So if you want to try that drop me a PM

Jim
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jim »

stucuk - While I appreciate your suggestion, exception handling is not what I need at the moment. I know the general area of where the crash is occurring. The crash is happening inside an ogg vorbis function (ov_read) which is being called inside my ogg streaming thread. I add exception handling when necessary, but right now it would do absolutely nothing to help me debug this particular issue.

This is not a simple "find crash point, fix bug" sort of thing. The crash is a side effect of the true problem, which I theorize has something to do with my management of the stream that might cause this to occur on certain computers/sound cards. Other than the one time (which as it seems I may have not fully fixed) I have not been able to replicate it myself at all. It's a rather bad debugging scenario, and I have to make educated guesses of what exactly is going on.

Regardless, I have a general hypothesis of what's going on, but not being able to make it occur myself makes it a rather difficult situation.

So, yea, I suppose I'm just trying to emphasize that this is not your run-of-the-mill sort of bug. This is one of the nastier types which, while not impossible by any means, is simply very cumbersome to debug.
I exist within the power lines...for some odd reason.
stucuk
NSF

Post by stucuk »

Guess u wouldn't be willing to send me the source code? (I assume its made in Visual C++ rather than another C++ compiler. I have both VC 2003 and 2008)

And yes, them kind of bugs are always the most fun...
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

Faulting application tnm.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module dxogg.dll, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00058e09.
It's spiked in chance by a huge amount ever since I entered ABI.
Jim
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jim »

NEW VERSION ALARM!

I -think- I figured out what was going on. There were certain cases where the thread wasn't terminating correctly and I had a situation with overlapping threads. I think it caused these issues, discovered it by mere chance. Still possible it may crash or not play the song though. Give it a go and let me know.
Attachments
DXOggChocobo.zip
(174.36 KiB) Downloaded 728 times
Jim
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jim »

stucuk wrote:Guess u wouldn't be willing to send me the source code? (I assume its made in Visual C++ rather than another C++ compiler. I have both VC 2003 and 2008)

And yes, them kind of bugs are always the most fun...
I sense a light "Damnit Jim, you're a captain not a programmer! You suck! Hand over that code and I'll show you how it's done!"

Although if I could be a captain of a starship that would be totally awesome.

Regardless, my stuff is always open source, so, here if you want it. If you want to compile it you'll have to download and compile the latest ogg libraries, probably have to go over project settings, as well as download the deus ex sdk version that has the headers and libraries.

I don't want this thread to get sidetracked with "holy crap jim's code is uglier than an elephants butt!" or "woa, that has to be the longest variable name I've ever seen", so keep any questions/comments about it strictly to PMs. This thread is specifically for bug reports and testing new versions.
Attachments
DXOgg Source 2009-03-29.zip
(406.57 KiB) Downloaded 480 times
odawali
UNATCO

Post by odawali »

Jim wrote:DXOggChocobo.zip [174.36 KiB]
This works like a charm. No crashes so far in about 3 hours of game play.
stucuk
NSF

Post by stucuk »

Iv also had 0 crashes. Tho i never personaly noticed any with the one before the last one.
ridgerunner
Thug

DXOggChocobo.zip fixed my "Jumpy music" bug

Post by ridgerunner »

I reported a bug back in this thread titled: "Jumpy background music".

This is just a quick note to say this bug has been fixed! I first installed the 1.0.1 patch (which did NOT fix the problem), then I installed Jim's latest (as of Mar 29, 2009) DxOgg.dll patch: DXOggChocobo.zip, which DID fix the bug. Thank-you-very-much-Jim!

WooHooo! I'm back in the game! (and now I can hear the music!)
MB: ASUS K8VSEDX, AMD Athlon64 3700+, 2GB SYSTEM RAM, VIDEO: GEForce 6200 256 MB RAM, WinXP Pro SP2, DeusEx: v1.112fm 2001-03-19 12:06:14
dataangel
Mole Person

Post by dataangel »

I'm definitely interested, my game crashes a lot and the event viewer says at least some of the crashes are in dxogg (I also get them in core and unknown)

Edit: The updated DXOgg in that thread worked for me too :D
Jim
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: DXOggChocobo.zip fixed my "Jumpy music" bug

Post by Jim »

ridgerunner wrote:I reported a bug back in this thread titled: "Jumpy background music".

This is just a quick note to say this bug has been fixed! I first installed the 1.0.1 patch (which did NOT fix the problem), then I installed Jim's latest (as of Mar 29, 2009) DxOgg.dll patch: DXOggChocobo.zip, which DID fix the bug. Thank-you-very-much-Jim!

WooHooo! I'm back in the game! (and now I can hear the music!)
I am very pleased to hear it, I was actually intending to email you and ask you to try out this version; I've changed quite a bit since then and figured it might work correctly now. So far it's been a few days with no crashing being reported, as well as your issue fixed, so looks like this definitely may be a winner.

I am very thankful for all the help you guys have been to help me nail it, and I apologize that this bug ever existed in the first place. Yeesh, this bug was seriously evil though. I'd have to say that in my 15ish or so years of coding I've never seen a bug elude me so well in such a tiny project. I just about played through the entire game trying to see if I could get a random crash trying to find it, and never did (I love tricking ghand into spontaneously combusting). So, I suppose let it be a lesson for me - "evil will always triumph because good is dumb." *looks at carone*

(This is the part where you guys interrupt me and tell me that it crashed again.)
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

*Hugs Jim*
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
stucuk
NSF

Post by stucuk »

Faulting application tnm.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module dxogg.dll, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x001e0409.
Iv just had a crash :(

April Fools!
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Don't be mean.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome