Cannot start TNM: "Can’t find file for package ’TNM’"

Let us help you solve any problems you might have with TNM. This forum should remain spoiler-free - if your problem is spoilery in nature, please post in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
Please only use this forum for problems of a technical nature. If you're stuck somewhere in the game, post in the TNM Spoiler Zone forum. If the game crashes, you can't load a savegame, or something just plain isn't working, this is the place to post.
Premier
Mole Person

Cannot start TNM: "Can’t find file for package ’TNM’"

Post by Premier »

Well, I cannot start the Nameless Mod, and I'm hoping someone can help me.

So, I have Deus Ex Game of the Year Edition, version number 1.112fm. Never had any mod installed before, so certainly no leftover bits from those. Using Direct3D mode, as Glide runs terribly choppy and only in a window.
EDIT: Just checked with OpenGL (assumably the one installed from the iso), same thing happens as described below.

Download the iso version of TNM, mounted with Alcohol 120%, installed game. Also installed the new renderer that came with it and was offered automatically.

I click on the TNM icon, I get the TNM splash page for a few seconds, then I get an error message headed "Critical Error" and saying:
Can’t find file for package ’TNM’

History: UObject::SafeLoadError <- UObject::StaticLoadClass <-InitGameInfo <- UGameEngine::LoadMap <- UGameEngine::Init <-XGameEngineExt::Init <- DDeusExGameEngine::Init <-InitEngine
And that's it. If I run the tnm.exe file from the game's system menu directly (without all the arguments defined by the icon shortcut), it starts running vanilla Deus Ex.

Computer specs:
Windows 98SE
1.7 Ghz Intel Celeron CPU
GeForce 4 MX420 SD graphics card
nVidia drivers - I'm pretty sure the most recent ever issued for this card
DirectX... erm... 9.

No idea how to proceed. Any help greatly appreciated.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: Cannot start TNM: "Can’t find file for package ’TNM’"

Post by Jonas »

When you install the 1.112 patch, does it ask you if you want to overwrite any files? If so, say no to all of them. I believe this will fix your problem.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Premier
Mole Person

Post by Premier »

Jee... I don't even remember if I actually applied a separate patch after installing it, or whether "1.112fm" is the way the GOTY edition comes by default. Anyway, I'll try tomorrow (past midnight here), will post results.
Premier
Mole Person

Post by Premier »

Well, no good news. Uninstalled TNM then Deus Ex, restarted computer, installed Deus Ex. Turns out the Game of the Year edition comes already pre-patched to v112fm, so I didn't apply any patches. Started a new game, quit the program, installed TNM, same error message as before.

I see that someone else is having the same problem here, so I did what was suggested there and did an md5sum check on my TNM iso file, and it gave the same result as the one it says on the download page.

Now, I noticed both that other guy and me are using GOTY edition, and Jonas' post above suggests (to me as a layman, at least), that TNM might require older versions of some Deus Ex files that are overwritten by the .112fm installation. If that is true, then all GOTY players are screwed, since we don't have access to those older files. Or is there anyone who can confirm that the mod runs on GOTY for them?
NatVac
Thug

Post by NatVac »

I'm using the 1.112fm GOTY version that came on a PC Gamer (I think) cover DVD.* It's working just fine on an XP installation.

Hmmm... You are using Windows 98SE. I wonder if the installer is having a problem with this?

Post by zsieg »

I'm running windows me which I believe has much in common with windows 98se(not positive though). I can't find a system requirements page, so has the game been tested on windows me? If not has it been tested on windows 98(the only other version I have)

Just to be clear I've unistalled everything twice, downloaded tnm from 2 different servers,did a md5 check, tried every renderer, and I deleted my ini files. I've also swapped out my ram just to be sure that wasn't the issue. The only thing that had any effect was deleting tnm.ini and all that did was make the shortcut load regular dx.

Premier, post the warning and error lines from your tnm.log(it's located in deusex\system\ and can be opened with any text editor) And could someone who can play the game post their tnm.ini and tnm.log info? There are two tnm.ini files, one in deusex\system\ and one in deusex\tnm\system.

Premier here is my tnm.log info, pleast post yours'.
LLog: LoadMap: entry.dx
Log: Loading: Package Entry
Log: Loading: Package Title_Music
Warning: Failed to load 'TNM': Can't find file for package 'TNM'
Warning: Failed to load 'Class TNM.TNMGameInfo': Can't find file for package 'TNM'
Warning: Can't find file for package 'TNM'
Critical: appError called:
Critical: Can't find file for package 'TNM'
Critical: Windows GetLastError: There are no more files. (18)
Exit: Executing UObject::StaticShutdownAfterError
Exit: Executing UWindowsClient::ShutdownAfterError
Log: DirectDraw End Mode
Critical: UObject::SafeLoadError
Critical: UObject::StaticLoadClass
Critical: InitGameInfo
Critical: UGameEngine::LoadMap
Critical: UGameEngine::Init
Critical: XGameEngineExt::Init
Critical: DDeusExGameEngine::Init
Critical: InitEngine
Exit: Exiting.
NatVac
Thug

Post by NatVac »

Eep! I forgot about the 512 MB memory limit of Windows 98/98SE/ME.

You guys are probably running out of memory. "There are no more files" is a common error in this low-memory situation.

Since the mod is much larger than the original Deus Ex game, I don't know if this can be resolved. But you can try to lower all the settings in your original game, then use those settings in the Deus Ex .INI files in your TNM .INI files for the same variables.

Also, the default higher quality features in TNM may contribute to the problem.

In the end, the mod still might not run in that small memory space. And it probably doesn't matter how much virtual memory you have.
zsieg
Thug

Post by zsieg »

The more I think about it, the less I think lack of memory is the issue. I have atleast 325mb free and I get the error within a few seconds of starting tnm. Being that my hard drive is old and very slow it takes atleast a minute to read 300mb. I get the error faster then my hard drive can fill up my ram.

I'd like to repeat my request for some one to post their tnm.ini contents. It would appear that I am missing some lines.
NatVac
Thug

Post by NatVac »

My earlier comment about the installer might have some merit.

There's a line in the log for the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable (the runtime support package) that says "PROPERTY SupportWin9x 0", among the list of PROPERTY lines. Another line is "PROPERTY MinNTVersion 5.0", which I believe to be Windows 2000, since XP is 5.1.

Windows ME is a member of the Win9X family. NT is the family identifier for the Windows 2000/XP/Vista and maybe Windows 7 as well.
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

I believe this is a known issue that we actually resolved in another thread a few days ago. I'd link you, but I'm on the bus using an awkward mobile browser :p Just search the forum for your error and you should fing the other thread.
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
terthos
Thug

Post by terthos »

NatVac
Thug

Post by NatVac »

Yes, it's resolved for some. But zsieg has already been posting in that "Can't find file for package TNM - Solution!" thread, because that solution doesn't work for him.

It's not what we don't know that hurts us, it's what we know that ain't so. --Paraphrase of a quote made by Will Rogers and/or maybe Mark Twain, and cited by Ronald Reagan and probably your mother. You really should listen to your mother. :P :)