Keyboard and mouse don't work

Let us help you solve any problems you might have with TNM. This forum should remain spoiler-free - if your problem is spoilery in nature, please post in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
Please only use this forum for problems of a technical nature. If you're stuck somewhere in the game, post in the TNM Spoiler Zone forum. If the game crashes, you can't load a savegame, or something just plain isn't working, this is the place to post.
darckofi
Mole Person

Keyboard and mouse don't work

Post by darckofi »

I started the game and the menu wouldn't come up, so I put startnewgame into the console and I can't seem to control the character at all. I've already re-installed the game and the patch, but my character just stands there.
Jane_Denton
X-51

Re: Keyboard and mouse don't work

Post by Jane_Denton »

darckofi wrote:I started the game and the menu wouldn't come up, so I put startnewgame into the console and I can't seem to control the character at all. I've already re-installed the game and the patch, but my character just stands there.
Hey darckofi,
:idea: Do you have Deux Ex patched up to 1.112fm? Do you have the MOD patched up to 1.0.2? Just in case you haven't tried this yet... have you tried running it in "Compatibility Mode"? If you have and you still have the problem, then double check all your connections for your mouse/keyboard. If that doesn't help then try a restart. If you still have problems you could try updating your sound and vid card drivers. I could go on with more... but hopefully it's working for you by now... if not then I'll continue...
Who we are is but a stepping stone to what we can become...
darckofi
Mole Person

Post by darckofi »

Please do, I've tried all those things and I'm still not getting anything. Could windows xp be a problem?
Kee715
Illuminati

Post by Kee715 »

Is the screen completely blank on the main menu? Or do you have some sort of Black & White graphical corruption? Have you ensured that Deus Ex runs perfectly at least once? Did you verify that the mod's installer/patch installer is not corrupted?

Some more details will greatly aid in your assistance.
Jane_Denton
X-51

Post by Jane_Denton »

darckofi wrote:Please do, I've tried all those things and I'm still not getting anything. Could windows xp be a problem?
I am using XP and it is working on my machine. I've had a few minor hiccups but nothing that keeps me from playing besides they'll be coming out with a new patch soon which I'm sure will fix them.

I know you said you have tried the reinstall thing already... but Kee715 mentions a good question.
Kee715 wrote:Is the screen completely blank on the main menu? Or do you have some sort of Black & White graphical corruption? Have you ensured that Deus Ex runs perfectly at least once? Did you verify that the mod's installer/patch installer is not corrupted?
I know this can be frustrating we've all had a game gak on us at one time or another, unfortunately the process of elimination is the best way to figure out a solution...

But could you answer these questions first Does Deus Ex run perfectly on your machine without any MODS? It would be a good starting point. If Deus Ex is working smoothly...then you've got a solid foundation to work with. Then try the MOD installation (if you are unsure if yours is corrupt or not)... I used this download The Nameless Mod (ISO DVD Image) http://www.thenamelessmod.com/downloads/ (then I used Daemon Tools to mount the ISO for the install) Also I got the TNM 1.0.2 Patch from the same address.

Let me know how you get along with that and hopefully that works, if not... I'm always on here! ;)
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

I can't help but think "being forced to actually manually enter things at the console" is symptomatic of far greater problems than simply controls, especially since you're likely to be missing a whole series of menuscreens that way (all of which contribute stuff that is important/vital).

So why not explain exactly what happens when you start: do you get the splashmap (should be flying through a cityscape)?
darckofi
Mole Person

Post by darckofi »

Okay, I played the original through and went straight for the mod. I don't think the problem lies with the original game as it played fine on my computer, and when I start up the mod, I get the flying camera and the crashed cars etc, then it gets to the flying logo and nothing comes up- No menus or anything, and the only button that seems to work is the teamtalk button, which I've been using to try and get the game running.

There aren't any graphical glitches and I've re-installed the game about 3 times, I've also installed the mutliplayer mod for the original and I'm pretty sure I downloaded the patch for the mod (However I may try downloading it again, in case it didn't work for any reason).

Originally, I downloaded the legal torrent and I'm also playing it on Daemon tools lite
Jane_Denton
X-51

Post by Jane_Denton »

darckofi wrote:Okay, I played the original through and went straight for the mod. I don't think the problem lies with the original game as it played fine on my computer, and when I start up the mod, I get the flying camera and the crashed cars etc, then it gets to the flying logo and nothing comes up- No menus or anything, and the only button that seems to work is the teamtalk button, which I've been using to try and get the game running.

There aren't any graphical glitches and I've re-installed the game about 3 times, I've also installed the mutliplayer mod for the original and I'm pretty sure I downloaded the patch for the mod (However I may try downloading it again, in case it didn't work for any reason).

Originally, I downloaded the legal torrent and I'm also playing it on Daemon tools lite
Good so you can run Deus Ex on it's own... that's a good start, there in lies the hope! Hrm.... I'm thinking.... :-k I haven't bothered with any of the multiplayer installs that you speak of for either so that's at least one area where our installs are different. It's not something I'll be testing either, sorry... :( When I don't need a game to connect to the internet I do not allow it and deny it access, some games I have found will be chattering with my firewall when I'm trying to play and it buggers things. Are you only playing the game in Multiplayer? In the meantime... I'm just curious (it may not have anything to do with this but still I'm curious)... RU using a prebuilt machine, or one you built on your own? RU on a desktop or a laptop? What is your video card and sound card? RU running a lot of programs behind when the game is playing?, some machines don't react well to it depending on what it is (especially if the machine needs a tune up). Although I am still hoping it being a simple software glitch at the moment. Although I only know of you having this problem... but it sounds as if your mouse is working now though if you can click the teamtalk button [-o<.

On another note and I don't mean this in a discouraging way... I remember trying to play the MOD Matto for FarCry... FarCry played seamlessly... but I never could get the Matto MOD to work, there were others that reported this problem also though. On the main menu I would click new game and nothing would happen... :( Hmm I wonder if "it" has a new patch!? =P~

Still they are working on another patch for TNM.... :mrgreen:

Let me know how you get along... we'll get you a menu somehow! ;) Also have you read over the troubleshooting guide that comes with TNM?
darckofi
Mole Person

Post by darckofi »

Not played it on the internet, I have a pre-built desktop pc. I have a ge-force 8700 or something and my sound cards pretty new as well. I dunno, I've played some reasonably new games on my pc. It's not my mouse that's working, it seems to be the keyboard. Pressed "y" and typed in "starnewgame", start in Liberty island and can't move anywhere.

Thanks for this, you seem pretty determined to help
Jane_Denton
X-51

Post by Jane_Denton »

darckofi wrote:Thanks for this, you seem pretty determined to help
Force of habit sorry... troubleshooting machines is my area of work. Oh and nooooooo I don't work at a call centre :shock:

I build and fix machines and networks, before that I built websites for gov't and private biz... I like problem solving. Although this coming fall I taking more courses and I'm branching out into regular programming. Personally I'm not a fan of prebuilt machines... they market them "with" certain hardware like GE Force etc... but what the layman doesn't know is GE Force actually subcontracts out cheaper versions of their cards to other manufactures, the cards still use the same drivers as the in house brand. It's perfectly legal but it's how they can sell prebuilt machines cheaper by using parts like that. The way you can tell is if you actually open your machine. Which I don't recommend if you don't know what you are doing. Whenever I don't want to build someone a machine, if I'm too busy or whatever I will only recommend either Dell or Apple to layman's if someone wanted a computer fast. I know people have had good luck with those two. I myself have always built my own.

Let me know how you get along with TNM troubleshooting guide selections, they make some suggestions to edit your .ini files. Also you could try running the game in Safe Mode... there are some selections you can click on and off through trial and error to narrow down what is causing the glitch.
DDL

Post by DDL »

darckofi wrote:Not played it on the internet, I have a pre-built desktop pc. I have a ge-force 8700 or something and my sound cards pretty new as well. I dunno, I've played some reasonably new games on my pc. It's not my mouse that's working, it seems to be the keyboard. Pressed "y" and typed in "starnewgame", start in Liberty island and can't move anywhere.

Liberty island is NOT where you should be starting.

It almost sounds like the game is somehow assigning you JCDentonmale as your playerclass, rather than trestkon...which is odd.

To triple check, you've installed DX, patched it so it says 1.112fm, and then booted up the game at least once?

And then installed TNM? And then patched it?

Sorry for the annoyingly obvious questions... :/
Jane_Denton
X-51

Post by Jane_Denton »

DDL wrote:
darckofi wrote:Not played it on the internet, I have a pre-built desktop pc. I have a ge-force 8700 or something and my sound cards pretty new as well. I dunno, I've played some reasonably new games on my pc. It's not my mouse that's working, it seems to be the keyboard. Pressed "y" and typed in "starnewgame", start in Liberty island and can't move anywhere.

DDL wrote:Liberty island is NOT where you should be starting.
#-o I missed that... yeah you shouldn't even be starting in Liberty Island when you are playing TNM! I was also wondering why he pressed "y" and had to type "startnewgame"?
DDL wrote:It almost sounds like the game is somehow assigning you JCDentonmale as your playerclass, rather than trestkon...which is odd.
Or it makes me wonder where he's installed the TNM MOD too !?
darckofi
Mole Person

Post by darckofi »

I've installed the mod and everything, PLayed DX as well. I'll have a look at the troubleshooting section, I've had to change ini files before. I'll have a look at the player class, maybe I could sort out keyboard commands as well.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Maybe try reverting to the D3D renderer experimentally to see if it solves the problem. It's a long-shot, but the new OGL renderer could be messing with your window order or something.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Jane_Denton
X-51

Post by Jane_Denton »

darckofi wrote:I've installed the mod and everything, PLayed DX as well. I'll have a look at the troubleshooting section, I've had to change ini files before. I'll have a look at the player class, maybe I could sort out keyboard commands as well.
Yeah have a look at the troubleshooting pdf they have. It could be as simple as changing your video settings as Jonas suggested... that's in the troubleshooting thing too...

Fingers crossed... [-o<