Keyboard and mouse don't work

Let us help you solve any problems you might have with TNM. This forum should remain spoiler-free - if your problem is spoilery in nature, please post in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
Please only use this forum for problems of a technical nature. If you're stuck somewhere in the game, post in the TNM Spoiler Zone forum. If the game crashes, you can't load a savegame, or something just plain isn't working, this is the place to post.
steven9011
Mole Person

Re: Keyboard and mouse don't work

Post by steven9011 »

Hi, sorry for bringing this thread back, but I have a very similar problem and couldn't find a solution anywhere else.

When I first installed TNM, it worked perfectly, I've played through it a couple of times without any hitches at all. Then one day, I closed the game, opened it ten minutes later and all of the sudden I got the exact same problem as described above - the intro animation with the logo and the flying through the city works fine. However, I cannot access the main menu now for some reason, and the only key that seems to do anything is the chat key. The only commands I've found that do anything is "startnewgame" and "quickload".

When I type "startnewgame", I appear on Liberty Island, and none of my controls respond. If I type "quickload", the screen suddenly changes to a black background with the logo for TNM spinning, and once again none of my controls respond.

I'm using windows vista 64 bit, q6600 processor, 8800GT. I'm quite sure it's not a hardware/OS issue, because it was working fine before, but anything's possible I suppose. I've tried running in compatibility mode, running as administrator, changing video device, reinstalling and re-patching several times. I've also tried safe mode, but this only runs the original Deus Ex, which seems to work perfectly fine.

The only thing I can think of to try now is to remove everything, including the original Deus Ex and trying again. I was going to try that, but I thought I'd check here first and see if someone's found a solution that I didn't see while browsing the forums. I've only found this thread and one other that mention this particular problem. Has anyone found away to fix this? Any suggestions? I just have no idea what's causing this, after all, it worked perfectly fine before and nothing has changed as far as I can tell :S

Hehe, sorry for such a long post. Thanks in advance.
steven9011
Mole Person

Post by steven9011 »

Sorry for the double post, but I think I managed to fix the problem. I'm not sure if this is what was causing the problem BEFORE all the reinstallations, but nevertheless, I found a fix.

I took a look at the target line in my shortcut properties. This is what it said:
C:\DeusEx\System\TNM.exe -hax0r INI="C:\DeusEx\TNM\System\TNM.ini" USERINI="C:\DeusEx\TNM\System\TNMUser.ini" log=TNM.log

When I took a look in the "System" folder, I noticed there was no such file as "TNMUser.ini". I'm assuming it's meant to be there, but in any case, it definitely wasn't. The User.ini file contains all the key bindings, and since the shortcut was looking for a nonexistent file...

Strangely, when I ran the TNM executable directly from the system folder, it ran the original Deus Ex! Don't think that's supposed to happen... >_<

I have no idea how this all happened, especially because I just reinstalled it. But anyway, here's how I fixed it: I changed "TNMUser.ini" to "User.ini". When I ran the game now, I could get the menu up... but for some reason the menu had no colour scheme, it was all black. After some random clicking, I managed to start a new game, and all my controls were working fine. Next, I had to fix the colour scheme, so I hit escape and clicked randomly on the black blob that was my menu. I found the options screen, and the black text was sorta visible. Anyway, I managed to find the screen to change the colour scheme and now my menu is all fine.

So in conclusion, I'm guessing that I'm supposed to have a file called "TNMUser.ini", but for some reason it's not there. So if anyone else ever gets this problem, see if the same thing has happened to you. No idea how on earth this happened, but regardless, I'm going to go play some TNM now :) Hopefully this is useful to someone in the future.

Edit: Ok... now the game crashes whenever I try to load. I'm guessing this is because I'm supposed to be using TNMUser.ini, not User.ini. Would it be possible for someone to send me their TNMUser.ini, so I can see if it fixes the problem? Cheers

Another edit: Damn it, I've been looking in the original System folder, not the TNM System folder. Ok, TNMUser.ini is here, and there's no key bindings set inside it. So I'll try and copy the keybindings from somewhere else and paste them in here, then see if that works.

And again: I thought it was strange that TNMUser.ini was blank after reinstalling so many times. So I uninstalled it (again), and looked in the TNM folder... sure enough, TNMUser.ini was still there. I'm guessing it's just been sitting there blank and not getting replaced when I reinstall. So, reinstalling again, I'll let you know how it goes. I'm really sorry about this frantic editing, I just think it's important to give as much detail as possible when troubleshooting these kinds of problems.

Final (hopefully) edit: After manually deleting those .ini files, THEN installing again. All seems to be fine. Still crashed when I tried to load anything, but removing my saves has fixed that. I think I read somewhere that reinstalling might mess up your saves? Oh well.

Ok, so the moral of the story... if you reinstall to fix a problem, make sure that nothing is being left behind! If you read the entirety of my giant wall of text, I apologise :P
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

steven9011 wrote:Strangely, when I ran the TNM executable directly from the system folder, it ran the original Deus Ex! Don't think that's supposed to happen... >_<
Yes it is. You have to use the shortcut.

The reason your TNMUser.ini is not deleted when you uninstall is that it contains data about what extra content you've unlocked. I believe if you tell the uninstaller to delete your savegames, it will also remove your TNMUser.ini.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine