Slow save times

Let us help you solve any problems you might have with TNM. This forum should remain spoiler-free - if your problem is spoilery in nature, please post in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
Please only use this forum for problems of a technical nature. If you're stuck somewhere in the game, post in the TNM Spoiler Zone forum. If the game crashes, you can't load a savegame, or something just plain isn't working, this is the place to post.
JizzyJeff
UNATCO

Slow save times

Post by JizzyJeff »

So, this is a glorious game, it really is...but it takes over a minute to save. I find myself reading a book, sending resumes, anything to pass the time. I'm patched to 1.0.2. Vanilla was never this slow. TNM runs fine otherwise, except for the constant crashing. Any ideas to stop the mad multitasking productivity?
My name is not Jeff.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Re: Slow save times

Post by Jaedar »

Well, the save games in TNM are rather big, so if you have an old hard-drive it can take some time, or if you have other data writing operations going (like downloads). For me I found that my save times were periodic, sometimes it took like 1 second, sometimes 10.
I'm sure someone else will give you a better answer if the above is wrong.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

It takes longer the more maps it has to store.
You probably never ran into it before because you had less to save, it's not because of the patch.

It will pass when you go to DXI. Then start somewhat on day 2, but since there are less maps there, it should never become this slow again...
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

I noticed that too. Saving and loading can take longer than it should using TNM. It was never over half a minute for me though.
JizzyJeff
UNATCO

Post by JizzyJeff »

Well things were getting where the game would crash every single time I tried to save following the Silver Dragon mission, including the save file which I was trying to use disappearing in the crash, so I've started fresh with a new game and things are much improved. And I never want to see that frakking dragon again.
My name is not Jeff.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Heh, yeah, he's annoying. One time I brought him up to the top, and once he was "free" he suddenly got angry. Not sure why, but he decided he couldn't live out of captivity.

I've been noticing save and load time increasing. I just started a new story and saved it, and load/save times were essentially instant. It has to be the complexity of the savegames. I'll be clearing out the ones I have, but it probably won't make a difference.
Jane_Denton
X-51

Post by Jane_Denton »

I noticed save times are longer if Shifter is installed.... I removed Shifter and save times are now as quick as original DX
Who we are is but a stepping stone to what we can become...
JizzyJeff
UNATCO

Post by JizzyJeff »

Well, this is knew: "SAVEINFO.DXS Missing!!!" has started turning up at the end of my savegames list since I patched up. It comes back if I delete it. Anything I should be worried about?
My name is not Jeff.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Weird. I think I read here that sometimes savegames don't work after patching. In any case, I bet more info would be needed (patched to 1.0.2? preexisting saves? any other consequences? etc)
JizzyJeff
UNATCO

Post by JizzyJeff »

1.0.2 (as mentioned in the OP), and I deleted all old saves after patching. I haven't noticed any new problems since it started showing up.
My name is not Jeff.
JizzyJeff
UNATCO

Post by JizzyJeff »

Well I'm on Day 2 and getting the much smaller save files, and things are much faster as expected. I guess since the saves were starting to exceed my available RAM there was a lot of swapping going on. Problem averted, for now.
My name is not Jeff.
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Shouldn't be related to RAM. But I would do a defrag if I were you, it could easen up the times.
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...