Freezing up with lots of audio playing?

Let us help you solve any problems you might have with TNM. This forum should remain spoiler-free - if your problem is spoilery in nature, please post in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
Please only use this forum for problems of a technical nature. If you're stuck somewhere in the game, post in the TNM Spoiler Zone forum. If the game crashes, you can't load a savegame, or something just plain isn't working, this is the place to post.
Zodiac
Thug

Freezing up with lots of audio playing?

Post by Zodiac »

When I start the Task Manager and Alt+Tab out when the game freezes (which takes a while so I now play in Windowed mode to make it easier), the TNM.exe process is using all of my CPU. I think it may be an issue with audio clips.

Once, I froze up while in a conversation with Chris the Cynic. I think it may be because he was talking while an alarm was ringing and Firewalls were shooting at a Board Guest; I guess all the audio playing all at once was too much? When I alt+tabbed out my SiS driver was fried or something, the interface was lacking many colors; my desktop looked like it had a GFX card from the 70s or something. Plus my internet wasn't working.

That was the worse case scenario, a reboot fixed it all up.

Where I am now, in the nonexistent WC HQ basement, nearby the mainframe. From some sort of glitch, the bot in the room downstairs keeps attempting to go thru the glass doors, but because a vacuum bot is in the way the door keeps opening and shutting, making the door open/close noise play perpetually. Also, I have no way of evading the cameras right now so the alarm is forever on. Also, the WCID agent refuses to escape his room and I'm not going in there because of his flamethrower. He talks whenever he sees me and I escape his view, and while he's talking, the alarm is playing, and doors are opening and shutting, I freeze.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Re: Freezing up with lots of audio playing?

Post by justanotherfan »

Yes. I also have the alt-tab issue. Games aren't generally programmed for alt-tab, since being a game entitles programs a special status where they don't have to be good programs. I figured that since TNM doesn't have the source to Deus Ex, they'd have come across that issue quickly and wouldn't have been able to fix it.

When Deus Ex crashes, the gamma can be left at an incorrect setting. Also check that you have 32bit textures on.

Using onboard sound on a SIS chipset might not be the best solution. You can get PCI and PCI-E soundcards now that can handle very many sounds at once. I also have that crashing issue. You can try opening dxdiag, going to the sound section, and setting it to "Standard Acceleration". My AV-710 can't handle "Full Acceleration" somehow (it's for audio quality, not games), so Unreal crashes. Asus is making some excellent sound cards with their C-Media contract; check out a DX, D2 / D2X, Essence ST/X, or HDAV card. I've come close to buying a D2X a couple of times, but I'm waiting for the price to go down or an updated version. I'm sure someone will suggest a Creative card, but the goal here is to _stop_ crashing.