" Enhanced " Open GL

Let us help you solve any problems you might have with TNM. This forum should remain spoiler-free - if your problem is spoilery in nature, please post in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
Please only use this forum for problems of a technical nature. If you're stuck somewhere in the game, post in the TNM Spoiler Zone forum. If the game crashes, you can't load a savegame, or something just plain isn't working, this is the place to post.
DarkPhoenix
NSF

" Enhanced " Open GL

Post by DarkPhoenix »

This is silly but I have to ask. The TNM Manual says use the Enhanced Open GL when you play. After checking the show all devices radio button I don't see any Enhanced Open GL option just Open GL.. the word Enhanced is not there. Is it supposed to be in the list? Is it possible that something else installed like HDTP or ENB Series overwrote the "Enhanced" option?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: " Enhanced " Open GL

Post by Jonas »

If you clicked the check box to install the enhanced OGL renderer when you installed TNM, your old OGL renderer will have automatically been overwritten with the enhanced one.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
DarkPhoenix
NSF

Post by DarkPhoenix »

ER.. I'm going to back up my saves and reinstall.. I guess I missed this when installing.. Er.. you mean i've been missing the good stuff all this time? ( don't answer that) I'm up to the spacestation.. well at least i'll know for my second playthrough. Thanks :-)
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

I don't think it's worth re-starting before you've finished. It *does* make a lot of textures look much nicer (particularly the space station skybox) but doesn't have any impact on gameplay.
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
DarkPhoenix
NSF

Post by DarkPhoenix »

O.k. here is the deal..

I have reinstalled TNM and the patch. By default the TNM installer has the Enhanced Open GL checkbox checked.. the only way I would not have the enhanced version of open gl is if I uncheck the box. I made sure I did not uncheck this checkbox, and I can't imagine why I would have unchecked it the first time I installed. The word Enhanced still is not there. So, even though the word Enhcnced doesn't show up in the list, I'm confidant that this version of Open GL is really installed...it must be. The graphics do look the same as they did before.. I get the mirrored floors and everything.. just the word Enhanced isn't there.
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Correct, it will still be called "Open GL" but it will actually be the enhanced version, all the installer does it overwrite the old .dll file and adds some settings to your ini files. Pretty much the only place where you'll really notice it is places where we've used textures larger than 256x256, which happens in a few places (much more if you're using HDTP and New Vision). If you want to test it, load up the space station and see if the skybox looks awesome (like in the media screenshots we have on the webpage) or more like a smudged blur :p
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

It shouldn't show up as "enhanced open GL", given that its a replacement of the old openGL, so assuming you've added it, if you can see openGL in your renderer choices, it's that one.

EDIT: what he said. Damn you, igloo-boy.
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

DDL wrote:EDIT: what he said. Damn you, igloo-boy.
No igloos right now, it's beaver season \o/
DarkPhoenix
NSF

Post by DarkPhoenix »

Trestkon, I'm sure its fine but I wanted to see the screenshot you were talking about anyway.
I went here http://thenamelessmod.com/media/ and dont see it. Am I supposed to be looking at the interior ceiling of the spacestation such as the docking bay or a view of stars in space or something? ( hehe I can't imagine someone raving about a cieling.)
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Huh, I guess we don't have that one up there...I'll have to see if I can find it. If you post a screenshot of the skybox just look out a window (or take it as the shuttle flys in), we could tell you if it's working.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

That's interesting. Try using the DirectX driver and then switching to OpenGL to see the difference. TNM doesn't include the enhanced DirectX driver since the OGL one is better. Likely the old DirectX renderer would be what Deus Ex originally looked like for most people.

And yeah, "Enhanced" is just a new label for people to understand it's better. Really it's just the old drivers, opensourced, and updated for better quality and more features. Instead of being a new driver, the game sees it as a newer version of the same driver.