Deus Ex v2.0 - An unofficial fan patch for Deus Ex (HELP US)

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
Lork
NSF

Re: Deus Ex v2.0 - An unofficial fan patch for Deus Ex (HELP US)

Post by Lork »

If you have multiple chargedpickups active at the same time and one of them runs out, its icon isn't cleared properly from the HUD.
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Y|yukichigai wrote:Check to see if they have bLookingForWeapon set to true.
Can't find that parameter anywhere, so... no idea.
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

This is awesome. People have been complaining about Deus Ex bugs forever ;-). Funny, how some of them like the exact date issue have been added into the story, difficult to fix.
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

justanotherfan wrote:Funny, how some of them like the exact date issue have been added into the story, difficult to fix.
What? :-s
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Hassat Hunter wrote:What? :-s
Angel-A wrote:The year is indeed specified several times in the game, but it's inconsistant as to what year precisely...Confusing as hell. Going by IW, the current year should solidly say 2052.
Sorry Hassat Hunter, I was a bit rushed :-)

The exact date confusion can play into the story IIRC. I've forgotten most of it (others will remember), but I remember it playing into the confusion of the date of JC's birth and how he was raised. Anyway, not the discussion for this thread, and Chris The Cynic covered it really well on page 8.

Y|yukichigai has generously offered in the DXR thread to work on completing it if Akerfeldt is OK with it. Clearly this person is a magical being from the future, sent to keep Deus Ex from dying.
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

justanotherfan wrote: The exact date confusion can play into the story IIRC. I've forgotten most of it (others will remember), but I remember it playing into the confusion of the date of JC's birth and how he was raised. Anyway, not the discussion for this thread, and Chris The Cynic covered it really well on page 8.
For the record, I think that the confusion is entirely on the part of certain players.

I have looked, I have dug through all of the conversations and all of the text, even things that weren't used in the final game, and found nothing to make me think there is an indication that the game is set any time other than April 2052.

The only thing I can find that might be used to support the idea of a discrepancy is that there is the report for the 2053 city council. If Deus Ex takes place in a world where people never do things ahead of time, or if they do them ahead of time never say who they they are doing them for, then that would indeed be a discrepancy.

Well, there is one other thing. April 12, 2052 would be a Friday, not a Sunday. Assuming no changes in the calendar system, of course. (And there have been changes to that in the past, for example if I check that using the old system, which I'm told was in use before 1752, would be a Thursday.)
Angel-A
UNATCO

Post by Angel-A »

I found a TV screen-thingy in the game that says "2051" on it.
And a poster that says '47.

Hey, that bug where NPCs sit down but aren't actually on the chairs ought to be fixed (ex. Paul has discovered anti-gravity!).
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Pretty sure that I can find a TV screen in the world today that has 2009 on it, and if I look for a bit I'm think I can find a poster from '05.

I'm not seeing your point.

A TV saying 2051 tells you nothing of when the game takes place, a poster saying '47 doesn't either. You need some kind of context.

Is the TV saying that the 2051 elections will be interesting (meaning that the game takes place before 2051), is it saying that a law was passed in 2051 (meaning the game takes place after 2051)? It is saying that the time is 8:51 PM? A poster has similar problems. If we assume that the poster was manufactured in the year it lists, which is not exactly a wise decision, then it only tells us that the game takes place after '47. That is useful information to have, but given that it goes along with all the other information we have I'm not seeing why it matters.

All of that said, which textures are you talking about? Maybe I would understand why what you're bringing up is relevant if I could see it.

[Added:]
I haven't found it yet, where is the picture of Nixon shaking hands with Elvis used in the game? Based on the name of the texture package it is somewhere in the dockyard, though there are certainly textures that are used in places their package name would not suggest.

Also, sidenote, this poster from 1942 is in there.

[Added:]
I have now looked through every texture in the game, I did not see "a TV screen-thingy in the game that says "2051" on it." or "a poster that says '47." Where are these things?
Angel-A
UNATCO

Post by Angel-A »

Sorry for the confusion.

Poster (Looks like an ad for soccer). Found in the Paris streets.

TV-screen-thingy: (Maybe it's a photograph?). Found at the missle silo.
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Angel-A wrote:Sorry for the confusion.
Mostly the problem was that I didn't see the '47 on the poster and I didn't think the thing you called a tv screen was a tv screen.
Poster (Looks like an ad for soccer). Found in the Paris streets.
Yeah, I'm not seeing anything to infer from that other than there is a poster with a number. It says, "Foot '47" I'm not seeing any way to base any rational belief about what year it is upon the information that there is a poster that says "Foot '47."

You could argue this means that 2047 have come and gone or you could argue that it means that 2047 hasn't yet happened. Or you could argue that '47 has nothing to do with what year it is.
TV-screen-thingy: (Maybe it's a photograph?). Found at the missle silo.
It is a satellite photo. (With borders superimposed.) Based on satellite photos I have seen I would guess that the number theoretically represents when it was taken but it doesn't look right to me, "2051 01 18:001" doesn't fit into a scheme of timekeeping I am familiar with so I would be wary of saying with certainty that that was the date.

But let's say it is. My question is, "So what?" If it really is a satellite photo from 2051 is that any reason to believe the game does not take place in 2052? It isn't exactly up close and detailed, I don't see why it wouldn't still be useful a year or two later. I know of one place that still has a satellite photo on the wall from decades ago, the thing still gets the job done. Satellite photos don't always expire quickly.

What I'm failing to understand here is what confusion there would be about the dates. If it was stamped with 2083 I'd see a problem, but any date before 2052 would seem to go along perfectly with the idea that the game took place in 2052. I mean why stop at 2051? The date 1118 is mentioned in the game. Are we to infer from this that the game takes place in 1118, or simply that 1118 has already happened? I would go with the second.

If we have indications that Deus Ex takes place in 2052 (and we do, in that 2042 was said to be ten years earlier and 2029 was 23 years earlier) then I don't see dates before 2052 as confusing at all. Dates after 2052 would have the potential to introduce confusion, but I don't see any of the ones that exist as doing that.
Angel-A
UNATCO

Re: Deus Ex v2.0 - An unofficial fan patch for Deus Ex (HELP

Post by Angel-A »

Some bugs that should be added:

Ling in the Lucky Money will sometimes start following the player when the Mama-San has not actually been spoken to.

Miguel sometimes disappears from the map in UNATCO/MJ12 (sometimes he reappears at checkpoints).

Supply crates that are picked up from a higher plane than the player logspam "can't drop this here" then the crate is auto-dropped, and sometimes falls through the ground out of the level.

In the ocean floor lab, in the Karkian tank right outside the URV bay, the Karkians can eat bodies through the floor.

The ground is missing in an area behind the Area-51 hanger.
Lork
NSF

Post by Lork »

If there are no augmentation icons on your HUD (which is possible if you set the HUD to only display active augs in the game options menu) and you activate a charged pickup, its icon will show up in the wrong position.

And one in Shifter that's been bugging me for a while: The built in HDTP support uses the buggy, laminated crowbar from the demo level rather than the real one.

Some of these aren't even worth fixing, but there's no harm in documenting them.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

Thanks for reminding us of these...while I haven't seen all of them, I have seen these two, which DEFINITELY need fixed!
Angel-A wrote:Supply crates that are picked up from a higher plane than the player logspam "can't drop this here" then the crate is auto-dropped, and sometimes falls through the ground out of the level.

In the ocean floor lab, in the Karkian tank right outside the URV bay, the Karkians can eat bodies through the floor.
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Considering you consider fixing conEdit issues (like the "boat" one)...

I noticed with TNM that skill point awards given in PM's (DataLinks) do not display their description, like others do (normal convo, script etc.). Probably happens in DX too. Not sure how often skill points are given by PM though for this to have really any effect when fixed though...
Trasher
UNATCO

Post by Trasher »

I don't know if someone has mentioned this one already so, sorry for not reading all the 10 pages. Recently I finished my 4th TNM playthrough. You guys know when you hit a wall or something with a melee weapon (ex. crowbar) you get different hit sounds depending on which surface you hit with it, right? I was thinking about if this is possible to import to Deus Ex? If so, it would be a very nice feature as the vanilla hitsound is getting critical on my nerves. :)