Deus Ex Development kit

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
Yachs
Thug

Deus Ex Development kit

Post by Yachs »

This will be a development kit, with all the necessary tools to create modifications (even fully completed 3D-mini-games) on an improved Unreal engine (more precisely, as the engine will be used by UT SDK : http://www.moddb.com/mods/utcommunitysdk ). Our goals - to rewrite the all libraries Deus Ex for the new engine.

In addition to an excellent environment for the development and fully open sources, DXDK still profoundly improve the graphics of those old games. For example, will be added dynamic shadows, support for the latest shaders (bump-mapping, specular-mapping, displacement-maps), refractions, realistic materials for decoration and geometry textures. But, most importantly, perhaps, that is all effects and innovations can be disabled to allow best performance (as well as games built on DXDK) to run even on slower computers!

That is a fundamental difference from the others improve the graphics UT, or DX, - we have not adjusted to the old engine, improving some old library renderers (moreover, that work with them provides a lot of inconvenience, so also the editor are not always compatible with it), we write a new one! This means compatibility with the editor, and an opportunity to supplement the source code itself .

Today UT SDK project is not fully completed. It must be completed as soon as possible to begin work on DX DK. In essence, DX DK may will be an "extension" for the main project, with which you can easily create (cyberpunk-) rpg-games with a complex role-playing system. But since we want to improve old Deus Ex, it may mean a complete transfer of resources, which could mean rewriting all from scratch (and converting older models to the new format). Word about the model format - ISA wrote a different format to the DX, which you already know. Such nuances in the difference between the two games can significantly complicate the whole process, despite its apparent simplicity. I say this to the fact that work is need a lot of time and patience.

The list is not complete and probably will soon enter someone else. Now we create the team.
 We need a 3d-programmers who know Open GL and DirectX API's. You can contact with me, if you want to help the project - just write a personal message. Messages like "You're doing some sort of garbage, go to our team" and "This is unreal! Here are my ideas: ..." Please do not disturb!

In addition - all the current progress and changes we will write in detail here. If someone wants to help us without join the team - all files I upload for possible further modification. Just take that part of our work is like and show your results later.
Well, if you decide to ask me what "it" better than UDK - I repeat, sayed before: open source. Also - easy editor and lack of skills in 3d-modeling, are necessary needed when working with UDK; "prototyping" - the ability to make "sketch" of the project, with the possibility of subsequent transfer to the new engine, such as UE3.
Why I chose this site to create community - here write about most of the modifications. Also, there have many questions on editing the game.

The development team currently consists of three people:
1) Tek,
2) Yachs (me),
3) Shadow.
And beta-tester are:
1) Unreal-doom,
2) King,
3) S-fach,
4) Peppigno.

At this moment we creating the team of programmers. Development will begin in the new year.

UPD:
Added a Mod-DB page!
http://www.moddb.com/mods/deus-ex-development-kit *Now we adding content to the page >_>*
Last edited by Yachs on Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:00 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Yachs
Thug

Re: Deus Ex Development kit

Post by Yachs »

And yes, excuse me for my poor knowledge of English. % _%
Discuss please! Topic should not go into oblivion!
I will try to answer all questions as possible.
miguel
UNATCO

Post by miguel »

Exellent idea. It sounds very challenging and complicated but if you manage to get to work the dynamic shadows and the bump map for 3d objects it will be more than enough.

Good luck with your prollect.
Yachs
Thug

Post by Yachs »

Exellent idea. It sounds very challenging and complicated but if you manage to get to work the dynamic shadows and the bump map for 3d objects it will be more than enough.
Yep, but UT SDK also have most of the effects and innovations. I do not think that the "dynamic shadows" slowed the progress >:D
Good luck with your prollect.
Thanx! ;))
~DJ~
UNATCO

Post by ~DJ~ »

Well, a coincidence that TREM is going for it too, as Shadow completes his stuff.. and has some stuff already gathered up and completed.. (We're trying our best to add all the features from Shadow's project, with his permissions) :P

Good luck on it though.

EDIT: It sounds like as if you wrote that it's your project and Shadow is using it's engine? I don't fully understand your post. :oops:
Yachs
Thug

Post by Yachs »

~DJ~ wrote:Well, a coincidence that TREM is going for it too, as Shadow completes his stuff.. and has some stuff already gathered up and completed.. (We're trying our best to add all the features from Shadow's project, with his permissions) :P

Good luck on it though.

EDIT: It sounds like as if you wrote that it's your project and Shadow is using it's engine? I don't fully understand your post. :oops:
- You make a separate mod, but we creating a "development environment"- that's the main difference.
- Some stuff already gathered up and completed? Tell me more, what's changed and added (technically) for this moment. But I have not seen any graphical improvement on the screenshots. All you have done - can be created without the sources.
-Thanx! :D
- We make the Shadow's engine compatible with Deus Ex. Later, we will improve the role-play Deus Ex system.
Peppigno
Thug

Post by Peppigno »

Damn... UT SDK it's a fantastic project :shock:.

Very well... unfortunately I just know some UDK notions and 3d modelling basics for decoration/char (ehm... 8-[), anyway you have a PM.
Peppigno
Yachs
Thug

Post by Yachs »

Now we need a 3D programmers and "advanced" UnrealScript-coders. If you have any experience with previously released headers and libraries - share your experiences, please :)
Peppigno wrote:Damn... UT SDK it's a fantastic project :shock:.

Very well... unfortunately I just know some UDK notions and 3d modelling basics for decoration/char (ehm... 8-[), anyway you have a PM.
Hmmm.. I had the idea to redraw all of the original Deus Ex Models in High-poly. HDTP died, and remake not all ... And the quality of his models is poor.
More than that: to support ragdall-physics may have to equip all models of the skeleton animation. I really do not want to mess with the old models from the game ... We can try to remake all models and equipped this with the best features done. Now - show the portfolio, I think about it ...
Yachs
Thug

Post by Yachs »

As for the "transfer of the game" - we will try to make it as simple as possible, all the game scripts will not need to rewrite (we rewrite only dll-libraries)! Scripts will remain the same! I hope so ... :roll:

So... I would really like to see in our team programmers from the New Vision, who worked with RenderDevices. Any ideas how to contact them?
Peppigno
Thug

Post by Peppigno »

I'm not a programmer so I can't help you in this way.

I'm just modelling simple things, but I'm trying to do a test character for a friend.
If you can add the skeletal animation support (e.g. PSK as in UDK) in your project it's awesone :D.
Custom animation in Deus Ex is a... real pain in the ass +o(
Peppigno
Yachs
Thug

Post by Yachs »

Peppigno wrote: If you can add the skeletal animation support (e.g. PSK as in UDK) in your project it's awesone :D.
Yeah, the skeletal animation will be supported.
Custom animation in Deus Ex is a... real pain in the ass +o(
Yep!
Yachs
Thug

Post by Yachs »

Peppigno
Thug

Post by Peppigno »

Nice.

You should put 3 pics/video for mod approvation :).
Peppigno
Yachs
Thug

Post by Yachs »

Peppigno wrote:Nice.

You should put 3 pics/video for mod approvation :).
there are three pictures :mrgreen: I add a more meaningful pictures after.

Soon everyone will be track us! ;)
Shadow
Mole Person

Post by Shadow »

So here I am, it's me Shadow, creator of the Unreal Tournament SDK

Because some asked for pics, I'll show some current ones taken from it's ModDB Page

ImageImageImageImageImage

Btw: the next Beta is coming 30.12. , adds texture projectors, post processing and some other things