Terminus Machina - A DX Mod

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Re: Terminus Machina - A DX Mod

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

The pawn fires an event upon death, so just set the pawns event property to the thin you want triggered.
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.
SilverSpook
MJ12

Post by SilverSpook »

K thanks.

Weird problem... I had to give someone a copy of a level with just the basic geometry and lights, no actors, etc. I copied and pasted the brushes and lights into the new map, rebuilt it and saved.

But now, whenever I open Unrealed or play the level in Deus Ex, none of the textures from a texture package I made ("DistrictTen.utx") show up. I can load the texture package in UnrealEd, and then the textures show up in UnrealEd. But if I play the game, all of the DistrictTen.utx tetures are the default ugly blank texture.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

If you open up a new instance of UED you first need to load your texture package (and all other custom texture packages you are using) before you paste the brushes into the editor, else when you paste brushes that have custom textures the editor won't recognize the texture name and set the texture to None.
SilverSpook
MJ12

Post by SilverSpook »

Thanks bjorn I'll keep that in mind in the future.

Hm, having trouble getting a new model in (improvised explosive device). This was made by someone in XSI I believe. It looks fine when I bring it into Milkshape and if I export it as Unreal then reimport it to Milkshape it still looks ok. But the geometry gets all screwed up in DX.

Anyone have an idea what might be going wrong? I think there's something wrong with the import code maybe but not sure. I'm attaching the model if someone wants to try and bring it into DX.
Attachments
IED.zip
(23.47 KiB) Downloaded 295 times
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

I think this has to do with the fact that DX uses a specialized mesh format. You need to use the program 3ds2de or unreal2DeusEx to convert to the Deus Ex mesh format, haven't really tried those programs myself, but I can upload them if you want.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

I think Steve Tack wrote an MS2DE converter...*googles*

http://www.planetdeusex.com/tack/TacksD ... hTool.html

Appears to still be hosted. Spoovy. Someone should totally backup all of that site's stuff, tbh.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Oh, he wrote a tool for Milkshape? I was thinking of this.

I should backup this stuff!
SilverSpook
MJ12

Post by SilverSpook »

I tried exporting to Unreal format then using the Unreal to DX converter (unr2de) but I guess I could try the 3ds. K just tried the 3DS and it doesn't seem to want to import - just says "warning: out of sequence obj (_2013_01_0) skipped ... IED2.3ds: imported 0 frames"

The unr2de seems to work but I can't seem to figure out what's wrong when I'm adding the model to the game.
FastGamerr
MJ12

Post by FastGamerr »

With UNR2DE I always have to make the original model really small and then mess around with the DrawScale values when importing them for DX. Which is why I don't want to import any more new models to DXN, it really takes way too much time - even compared to lousier engines like SITH (i.e. Jedi Knight from 1997).
DDL

Post by DDL »

You don't need to adjust the drawscale in-game, adjust it with the import lines: that way it's the size you want by default.

I used this a fuckton in HDTP, since various mods etc (and often the vanilla game itself) used different drawscale settings at times, and adjusting the default drawscale of things wouldn't've worked with that.

Code: Select all

#exec MESHMAP SCALE MESHMAP=NYPoliceBoat X=0.009765625 Y=0.009765625 Z=0.009765625
That determines how the mesh is scaled when imported. Note you can also deform meshes along the X, Y and Z axis if you wish, so importing a cube mesh with X=1 Y=1 Z=0.5 would give you a squashed cuboid.
SilverSpook
MJ12

Post by SilverSpook »

Ah, thanks. I seem to have sorted it out, not sure which part exactly fixed things though. I think it had to do with the import line though. :/
Neveos
X-51

Post by Neveos »

DDL wrote:You don't need to adjust the drawscale in-game, adjust it with the import lines: that way it's the size you want by default.

I used this a fuckton in HDTP, since various mods etc (and often the vanilla game itself) used different drawscale settings at times, and adjusting the default drawscale of things wouldn't've worked with that.

Code: Select all

#exec MESHMAP SCALE MESHMAP=NYPoliceBoat X=0.009765625 Y=0.009765625 Z=0.009765625
That determines how the mesh is scaled when imported. Note you can also deform meshes along the X, Y and Z axis if you wish, so importing a cube mesh with X=1 Y=1 Z=0.5 would give you a squashed cuboid.
oh that's good to know
What I do in my other free time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3FfPUKuGsQ
SilverSpook
MJ12

Post by SilverSpook »

I mentioned this on the Moddb page but I figured I'd put it here as well. I'm going to start sending out the playable demos to selected testers soon to get feedback on the game (preference to those who've contributed to TM). If anyone is interested you can reply here, or message me elsewhere, thanks.
SilverSpook
MJ12

Post by SilverSpook »

Is there something you need to do when you make conversations between enemies? I'm trying to have two enemies talk while you eavesdrop but it won't seem to work unless the pawns are allied with the player.
Neveos
X-51

Post by Neveos »

SilverSpook wrote:Is there something you need to do when you make conversations between enemies? I'm trying to have two enemies talk while you eavesdrop but it won't seem to work unless the pawns are allied with the player.
That is interesting, and I've heard about that being a problem, but I seem to get enemies to talk to each other fine. Are you sure it is not anything else?
What I do in my other free time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3FfPUKuGsQ