I'm trying to translate game subtitles , need expert help..

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
binhoxds
Mole Person

I'm trying to translate game subtitles , need expert help..

Post by binhoxds »

Hi all! I trying to translate the conversation files from Deus Ex to my own language, at this point i have extracted all con files from DeusExConText.u, translated some dialogues and worked fine . The problem i having is with the extraction of audio files from the missions, these files DeusExConAudioMission**.u , i'm using Deus Ex Extractor and Decompiler [ http://deusexextractor.at.tut.by ] to extract the mp3 files, here the extractor works fine but the names he gives for files is continuous, eg. file 01, file02, file03 and so on, the problem is this, the game needs all audio files named correctly and be in correct folder wich belongs, eg misson01\CharacterNameSpeech02, CharacterNameSpeech02 and so on for synchronization of voices and subtitles at time of compiling for work correctly in game... but the the program create no folders nor name for the audio files according this convention, thus I had to rename and put all audio files in your right place, but wow the these mp3 are hundreds of files so would be impossible to do this manually. Any solution for this issue? Or any idea for an alternative way to synchronize my translation with audio in game?

Greetings and sorry for my poor english... :mrgreen:
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: I'm trying to translate game subtitles , need expert help..

Post by Jonas »

Deus Ex has a pretty good localisation system built into it, what you want to do is create your own language files in your \DeusEx\system directory. Take a look at the German patch to see how it's done (you can extract the .exe with eg. Winrar).

If you look in the System folder in the German patch, you'll see a ton of .det files - one per "class" in the game. Each of these files has a set of variables that override the original English text strings contained within that class. You can set your game to use those translation files by setting Language=det in DeusEx.ini.

To make your own translation, copy those files, rename them to something that makes sense like .ptt for Portuguese Translation, and then start translating all the text. Then set Language=ptt in DeusEx.ini and it will use your translated text. I'm not sure if there's a way to make the game generate a full set of English files for you to translate, but otherwise you might be able to find a language you're more familiar with to translate from, such as French or Spanish.

Hope that helps.

[EDIT] I just noticed that none of those translation files actually have the dialogue in them, so those files are probably not in the patch. You may have to get a hold of a full installation of the game in some other language in order to procure all the necessary files, unless you can find a way to acquire the English localisation files.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Addendum: I'm an idiot. The English language files are all the files called .int. You'll have them by default, copy them and rename them to .ptt and dig in.

I'll have to admit I'm not sure if these apply to conversations as well though. Maybe you can find more info here: http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:INT_File
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
binhoxds
Mole Person

Post by binhoxds »

I found Spanish translation and noticed several .est files, but none have the dialogues used in the game, most of these files are small in size and have only name of places shown when map loads eg. NYC - Battery Park, Ton Hotel and some character names, the dialogues translated in Spanish here live in two main files: DeusExConText.u and DeusExText.u

The link I've found this translation is from another forum. I could post the link here but i does not know if it is allowed.

Thanks for the help Jonas your link for unreal wiki is very useful.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

It's best not to post that link, if it's a free download of the entire game in Spanish :smile:

I take it there are no DeusExConText.est or DeusExText.est files anywhere in that Spanish language version?
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
binhoxds
Mole Person

Post by binhoxds »

The link I found has only the translation not full game :)
And have no DeusExConText.est or DeusExText.est files , just DeusExConText.u and DeusExText.u and remainder files are .est with names of various levels in game.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

All right in that case I guess you'll have to extract the .con files (as you've done?) and change them in ConEdit, then recompile them. I don't THINK you have to worry about the audio files, as the .con files should retain their original audio bindings, in which case you just ignore any files it outputs upon compiling your new conversation package, other than your DeusExConText.u file. Run a test before you start translating everything and see if it works. Are you following me?
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
binhoxds
Mole Person

Post by binhoxds »

I already did these steps, first extract the files .con using Deus Ex Decompiler and extractor. So I edited a few lines in a .con file from the first mission in Conedit, saved and compiled using the ucc maker. Then I tested the game and my translation works correctly except for all voices is vanished :-s

In ucc.log in my Deus Ex System folder appears thousands of lines like these:

Log: ImportSpeechAudio Failed: ..\DeusExConversations\Audio\Mission00\InfoLink\DL_ReleaseBot2\GuntherHermann01.mp3
Log: ImportSpeechAudio Failed: ..\DeusExConversations\Audio\Mission00\InfoLink\DL_Releasebot1\GuntherHermann01.mp3
Log: ImportSpeechAudio Failed: ..\DeusExConversations\Audio\Mission00\InfoLink\DL_PlaceLam\Gunther .... and so on.

And the log file ending with more than 1mb :roll:
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I see.

That sucks.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
nexus
Thug

Post by nexus »

@binhoxds, maybe write to the creators of the hungarian localization

http://www.moddb.com/mods/magyardx
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Ok, so int/det/est files are there for string vars listed as localized:

Code: Select all

var localized string myStr;
so for all the text that guns etc have ("the 10mm pistol is a ubiquitous yadda yadda yadda"), they specify those strings as localized, and then you can simply make one huge file that contains language-specific versions of those strings, so in deusex.int, you'll find

[weaponpistol]
descr="the 10mm pistol is a ubiquitous yadda yadda yadda"

but if you have a swedish localization you'll find in deusex.swt

[weaponpistol]
descr="den 10mm peestol de boomboom und de bork bork bork"

and so on, so that if you change your localization property in deusex.ini from int to swt (or det or est or whatever), it'll replace all those localized strings in-game with the ones from the appropriate int/swt/det/est file.

This only works, however, with pre-compiled, pre-written, uscript code, which conedit stuff isn't..exactly. The conversation text is entered kinda dynamically, and referenced like that, rather than as a list of pre-stated variables (which would've been fucking horrible to work with). So it won't be localized.

Thus, yes: you'd have to export all the convo files, translate them, and then recompile them. For this to still work with audio, however, you'd have to check the filename references for all the audio, and then probably rename and rearrange all the exported audio files, which would be a fuckton of work. :-/
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

DDL wrote:but if you have a swedish localization you'll find in deusex.swt

[weaponpistol]
descr="den 10mm peestol de boomboom und de bork bork bork"
Actually that looks kinda Dutch.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
DDL

Post by DDL »

I should've run in through an internet bork bork bork filter, really.

But I was rushed, ok?

Also, apologies to any swedes. 8-[
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

DDL wrote: Also, apologies to any swedes.
Apology accepted O:)

And for the record: proper translation follows:
[weaponpistol]
descr="10mm pistolen är ett vanligt yadda yadda yadda"
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
binhoxds
Mole Person

Post by binhoxds »

I solved the problem I was using the graphical interface of Deus Ex Extractor to extract the contents of audio files and conversations, because I doing this something was not going well..
This time I used command line to decompile .con files , so the decompiler created an Audio folder with audio files named correctly.
Last edited by binhoxds on Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.