Deus Ex v2.0 - An unofficial fan patch for Deus Ex (HELP US)

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Re: Deus Ex v2.0 - An unofficial fan patch for Deus Ex (HELP US)

Post by DDL »

The ammo thing is that it's ALWAYS 1-4: pick up ammo from a crossbow user? 1-4 darts (out of a clip size of 4). Pick up ammo from a flamethrower user? 1-4 napalm rounds (out of a clipsize of 100).

The plan would be to relate the pickup to..say, a random number between "1" and "half a clip", because at the moment you simply never get any appreciable corpse ammo for the higher clipsize weapons (particularly noticable with assault rifles: every fucker and his uncle uses them, but if you actually use the damn thing yourself, you find you've got about 21 rounds total).

And the NPC unconscious thing is simply that dead bodies are displayed in your frob highlight box as "Dead Body (Joseph Manderley)", whereas KOing your boss gets you "Unconscious"

It's a fairly easy fix to change that to "Unconscious (Joseph Manderley)" (though this'd require so rewriting of a few missionscripts...but those MissionScripts were written badly anyway).
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

I still think it's mostly to promote getting your ammo from your surroundings, or saving it, instead of killing everyone and looting their corpse. And how many flamethrower users does DX count anyway? 1? 2?

How did TNM fix that? As unconscious corpse there do display "Unconscious (Name)".
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
Lork
NSF

Post by Lork »

? Aggressive Defense can "detonate" throwing knives, darts, and flamethrower fire actually anything that is not a bullet (added by me)
You can already see the effect of this one in TNM. In essence, you would severely nerf the Aggressive Defense by doing this, since it would only be useful against rockets & LAMs at level 3 and 4 (it's suicide to have it on at level 1 and 2 against explosives).

There is no incentive to have it for the player unless you plan on upgrading it all the way if it doesn't block this other stuff. I'm no fan of the spy drone either (the other aug choice in this spot), but IMO you would be changing game mechanics on this one (and IMO this change in TNM makes the AD junk in that mod).
Wrong. At level 1 and 2 AD protects you quite nicely from MJ12 Commando mini rockets, which is probably the most common type of rocket coming at you in the game (I don't know about TNM though). It also warns you about mines, even though it's not technically supposed to. As it is, in addition to doing its own thing, AD basically makes energy shield completely obsolete. It intercepts almost all of the projectiles that ES protects you from before they can even damage you, and for a quarter of the energy cost.
DDL wrote:Cloaking is a tricky issue to fix, actually: NPCs really really don't like responding to non-pawn threats, so the best way (in my experience at least) to get them to act on things is ...to hide tiny pawns in the target. For cloaking, this might mean spawning in invisible pawns where the NPCs 'think' the cloaked player might be, but it gets very messy fast. My solution for this was to simply halve the accuracy of anyone firing at a cloaked player.
Can you go into a bit more detail on this? I'd like to make the spy drone visible to NPCs, not as part of the patch, but for my own mod. Then again, the drone's description does go on and on about "improved armor" with each upgrade, even though that's meaningless when nothing ever reacts to the drone - seems kinda like a bug to me.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

In all honesty, I didn't realise that the ADS protected against anything other than Rockets, Plasma and Grenades.
Can you go into a bit more detail on this? I'd like to make the spy drone visible to NPCs, not as part of the patch, but for my own mod. Then again, the drone's description does go on and on about "improved armor" with each upgrade, even though that's meaningless when nothing ever reacts to the drone - seems kinda like a bug to me.
Good Idea. This should be added inot the patch or Shifter or Something. It does seem a little odd that no one ever reacts to a Small Flying Drone flying around peoples head.

Are any AI improvements or DXMP Improvements going into this Patch??
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
Lork
NSF

Post by Lork »

I just came across another small bug while testing my own mod. If you get into the secret lab in Maggie Chow's apartment, it's possible for Tong's messages to play out of order. He'll message you out of the blue when you take the sword and tell you to take it to Max Chen, then introduce himself and tell you to get the sword as you're leaving.
Jcelios
MJ12

Post by Jcelios »

? Aggressive Defense can "detonate" throwing knives, darts, and flamethrower fire
If we take the in-game augmentation description as representative of the developers intentions... (not an unreasonable stance I think)
http://theosek.sitesled.com/augmentatio ... tions.html
It clearly puts emphasis on "rockets and grenades" and "detonation".
If the ADS is "detonating" darts, I'd say thats pretty clearly a bug and should be fixed.
If the ADS is "detonating" throwing knives, I'd say thats pretty clearly a bug and should be fixed. I don't think your ever actually attacked by throwing knives in Single Player though are you?
If the ADS is "detonating" clouds of fire from the flame thrower... well even from a shear conceptual standpoint this makes very little sense.
Fire can't fit the "electromagnetic threat profile of missiles and grenades" or even be "detonated" in that sense. What I'm trying to get at is that I think all three examples are very probably unintentional, thus bugs. And should be fixed. :)
? Paul can be tricked into using lethal weapons against the NSF
Not sure if your referring to a specific instance or just in general but:
1. It's clearly out of character and goes directly against established traits of his character that the game emphasizes numerous times.
2. It can be used as an exploit by players to gain an unfair advantage. (I've certainly done it on the first level enough times :P)
3. It's probably due to an AI glitch and/or dev overlooking more then anything else right?
Therefore I say fix, I don't even see how it's controversial.
? Bullet tracers move very slow
I tend to also agree that they move slowly for a good reason.
Well I definitely think there's also room for improvement I'd see this more as a "graphical enhancement", that you'd find in Shifter, HDTP or another mod outside the scope of this one. I say leave it for now.
? Overlap inventory exploit
Unequivocal fix. If It's a bug, which it is, it should be fixed.
? bTriggerOnceOnly doesn't work right for triggers (various infinite skillpoint loops)
? Patrol and teleport MissionScript functions do nothing
? Silenced Assault Rifle doesn't make enough silenced shots
? Unarmed NPCs can plow through obstacles (A.K.A. "Nicolette the Tank")
Vote fix.
? NPCs magically stop burning when they die
Fix, as long as they eventually stop. Having them go on burning forever is just as silly I think.
? No price and product display on Vending Machines
I think this should be left alone. The only fix would be editing the actual vending machine textures right?
And the game does tell you how much money you just spent after buying one. I don't really see it as an issue worth fixing.
? Carried items are forcibly thrown at the start of a conversation (e.g. TNT to Gunther's face)
Again, no reason not to fix this one right? I know it's happened to me in the past.
? Extra Soda/Candy textures are not used
Now this is something I'm not familiar with. Your saying there are unused Soda and Candy Bar textures? I'd like to see them. :)
? There are two additional unused sounds for Rats
We'll you do actually end up spending a reasonable amount of time around rats, especially in the New York levels. I'd say this would be something good to include.
? Paul's answering machine (and the message it comes with) is not in the game
If it *isn't* from JC I would also say this would be great to add back in. It just adds a nice little extra detail.
? Unused VOIP conversation between Lebedev and the unknown party
I would be in favour of adding this in also. Tong saying you should be killed is a little shocking. But I ultimately don't think it's out of character considering the circumstances.
Ammo pickup amounts from frobbed corpses is always 1-4, instead of based on the default pickup ammount
Also like this to be fixed. I think it causes game balance issues with larger clip weapons thats simply the result of bad coding rather then something the developers intended. The Flamethrower and Assault rife being good examples of this.
? OMG I CANT GET ON TEH BOTE

Well... :P
Is this still an occasional problem with pirated copies?
Or are you just joking. lol
If it is a problem (even only for pirated copies) I think it should be fixed.
Considering Deus Ex's age I'd be happy if new people are being introduced to it. However they get ahold of it.
? Throwing Knives suck

There does seem to be a chronic lack of them in the game.
But I think this is too "Shifter"-like. And should probably be left alone.
Maybe, MAYBE subtly increase the pick up number or something.
But this is something that should be treaded on very carefully.
? Unconscious NPC description doesn't include the name

I think this would be a great fix.
? Hazmat suit doesn't protect against fire/electricity/etc.
Especially considering it's described in-game as being able to protect against those. I think it should be fixed.
? Manderley's Safe is walled up
Now this is an interesting one and perhaps I can provide some unique insight into.
In an e-mail exchange I once had with Harvey Smith who was the Lead Designer for Deus Ex, this was one of the things I specifically asked him about.
And to paraphrase it was essentially because they thought it made Manderly look stupid. You robbing his safe right in front of him etc.
Which is kind of funny considering in Deus Ex you grab people's stuff thats lying around right in front of them all the time. And hack into their computers *while they are sitting in-front of it* and such. :P
So baring in mind that I can confirm that this is not a bug/glitch or unfinished content. It is something that the developers removed on purpose.

Maybe a case could be made for including it only in the Escape from Unatco map. Seeing as in that situation stealing from Manderly's safe right in front of him is much more appropriate and understandable. It's something I'm divided on.

Probably leaning more towards leave out myself.
But given this new information I'd like to hear others thoughts on it as well.
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

I still lean towards what I said before, I think it would be best if things that add content (restoring conversations, the phone message, any missing datacubes, Ford) are somehow optional. I don't know if that would require two separate versions or what, but I think it should be a player choice.

I'd like a version where as much content as possible was in Deus Ex, but I don't want playing that version to be the only way to get the other fixes being worked on here.

-

The safe is something that probably shouldn't be restored in any version for reasons Jcelios said. Hacking a computer while the user is sitting at it is absurd, but somehow robbing that person while he watches is even more absurd. Absurd on a level the developers were not willing to go. If you tried to fix that by making it so you could only rob it when escaping it wouldn't really make sense. Why would the safe be less secure when UNATCO was under lockdown?
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Why not give the safe an INF/INF lock and than have manderley carrying the key? Unless I am mistaken, the only time you can kill/knock him out is during the escape. That way you could restore it without causing absurdity.

As for the ADS, I think it should only detonate rockets 'nades and plasma.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Jcelios
MJ12

Post by Jcelios »

I agree that two separate versions of the patch is probably the best solution.
Something like:

Fan Patch Bug Fixes
Fan Patch Bug Fixes + Restored Content

with a note explaining the difference.
Hopefully this wouldn't require lots of extra work for our noble modders.
Jcelios
MJ12

Post by Jcelios »

Jaedar wrote:Why not give the safe an INF/INF lock and than have manderley carrying the key? Unless I am mistaken, the only time you can kill/knock him out is during the escape. That way you could restore it without causing absurdity.
This just seems to just illustrate the heart of the problem even more to me. This isn't fixing bugs now so much as actually designing and adding new content to the game. Which seems not to be the original intent here.
Y|yukichigai
UNATCO

Post by Y|yukichigai »

Wow, a lot of replies. Thank you guys. Let me respond to a few things.
ggrotz wrote:
? Ammo you haven't picked up is displayed in the weapon info screen
I would gather this is the description display in the inventory screen? If that's the case, I would vote no on this change. If the information indicates "no ammo" then it is fine, but the info does need relayed that "Weapon X will use Ammo Y".
Yeah, that's the one I'm talking about. For some of it this makes sense to display first, but it always seemed a little spoiler-ey to me to say "oh hey, your rocket launcher will get White Phosphorus rockets eventually, but not now." There's NO reason not to pick up Ammo in DX and I can't see anybody not snagging random ammo they see, so it's not like they need to be told "this will work for your gun, so pick it up." Plus, it'll add a bit of intrigue to the early missions, especially with that locked ammo case in the UNATCO building ("oh my god, there's some kind of orange dart ammo in there, I wonder what it is?").

But yes, this is bordering on "new content" and is exactly why I made it a "maybe". Thank you for the input.
Jcelios wrote:
? Bullet tracers move very slow
I tend to also agree that they move slowly for a good reason.
Well I definitely think there's also room for improvement I'd see this more as a "graphical enhancement", that you'd find in Shifter, HDTP or another mod outside the scope of this one. I say leave it for now.
I've addressed this in Shifter somewhat already, no new graphics required. The problem I have with bullet tracers is that (example) you'll get hit by someone with an AR from across the map, and about 5 seconds later the bullet tracer will show up. It looks DUMB, honestly, and has always driven me insane. Shifter uses a much faster traveling bullet tracer which I think works fine, but I don't know if that's the opinion everyone has, hence the "maybe" status.
Hassat Hunter wrote:
ggrotz wrote:
? bTriggerOnceOnly doesn't work right for triggers (various infinite skillpoint loops)
You mean like having full inventory and being able to frob Savage repeatedly for aug upgrades? If so, should be fixed.
Nah, that seemed like a ConEdit error, giving items before checking the player actually has room for it. Like most of those free item drop errors (I think) like Biocells in Paris etc.
This would be keypads giving INF XP, like in the NYC shipyard and Vandenburg Power activation. I would say fix it, but yeah, if other keypads use it and unintentially have it set to true, and no-one noticed it shouldn't be (since it worked fine)...
This actually does come up with the Gary Savage exploit, but only half of it. Fixing this would remove the part where you get 500 skill points on top of an extra augmentation upgrade every time you talk to him (you'd just get the upgrade).

The reason why this is a "maybe" is because I'm not completely sure what effect this may have on the whole game, or on mods. Since it's overlooked in code it may have been disregarded elsewhere, so it could be set to true in situations where (with the fix in place) it will screw up things.
ggrotz wrote:
? Silenced Assault Rifle doesn't make enough silenced shots
Again as per previous posts in this thread (regarding pepper spray), look at what the weapon is modeling. It's one of those silly movie cliches that a weapon is silenced by the presence of a suppressor or silencer. This comes out very clearly in Deus Ex, even. Weapons do not have their noise and flash silenced, but are suppressed. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suppressor for a good discussion on the topic. The noise is lessened but not completely eliminated.

IMO, the suppressed assault rifle is fine, but I don't know how the noise is modeled so a NPC "hears" it. The presence of the "silencer" should reduce this radius, but it should not eliminate it. This means if a NPC could "hear" a non-suppressed assault-rifle throughout the whole building, it should still be able to "hear" the suppressed version in the next room. My vote is to be very wary on this one.
Someone else explained this, but I'll explain it too. The issue with the silencer is not that it should be MORE silenced, but that when you fire the AR you get one silenced shot sound for every three bullets (as someone said, "thwip" instead of "thwipipip"). As far as the AI is concerned the gun would make no more or less noise, but it wouldn't sound like the player's sound card is lagging (which for the longest time is what I thought was happening).
ggrotz wrote:
? "Inventory Received" window doesn't show proper counts for ammo given
Not sure what this means in game, but I do know that it's very hard to tell the amounts of ammo received at several points in the game. If it's incorrect reporting, by all means fix.
This is the little window you see during conversations when someone gives you something. A good example of what I'm talking about is during the beginning of the game, if you buy ammo from Harley Filben's companion on the docks. All the window will say is "Item Received: Tranq Dart", but it won't give you the count. What I'd LIKE it to say is "Item Received: Tranq Dart (4)".

Since it may matter, this is not an issue of code that is incorrect or incomplete; there is no code there for this to begin with, at least relating to ammo (it does handle this for weapons and so on just fine). I would need to add a good deal of code to the game for it to work, but for all that code the ONLY change would be that the player would see the exact ammo count of the ammo they get in conversations.
ggrotz wrote:
? NPCs magically stop burning when they die
Probably a design decision to lessen the CPU cycles required by the game. If it causes a slowdown to do this with multiple NPCs, like TNM does, then don't, otherwise it doesn't matter.
It's actually because the devs couldn't figure out how to hand over the fire objects on death, or didn't have the time to. Getting the fire to move believably is also a bit messy, but I've figured both of those things out. In terms of CPU cycles, there would be no more used than already are for burning NPCs; the difference is just that the fire would last a bit longer.

Oh yes, this would partially effect the game because as it stands, when an NPC is "burned to death" the game sets their corpse's health to 1, meaning the slightest damage will make them gib. Obviously this couldn't stay in if the fire was still burning on them.
ggrotz wrote:
? NPCs know your exact position when you are cloaked
It's hard to avoid the NPCs knowing this from a game programming perspective. Given that, IMO, the AI is fine in this regard. The dialogue and descriptions from DX and several of the mods indicate this AI behavior when it comes to the visual cloak or thermoptic camo. It should basically work as long as the player doesn't give up his position (by firing or something else intrusive). And since the cloak is/should not be perfect, the NPCs should know the position of the player until the player does something to obscure himself.
This specifically comes up when you fire, then run away. Once you make it around a corner or something the NPCs don't "know" where you are and won't shoot at you, but if they're still looking for you they will "conveniently" show up around where you are, sometimes even running into you, regardless of how much noise you make and so on. It's really odd looking.

Easiest fix is to just add some code that says "has it been more than X seconds since you last REALLY saw or heard JC? Then STOP FOLLOWING HIM!" :P
DDL wrote:
? Ammo pickup amounts from frobbed corpses is always 1-4, instead of based on the default pickup ammount
The ammo thing is that it's ALWAYS 1-4: pick up ammo from a crossbow user? 1-4 darts (out of a clip size of 4). Pick up ammo from a flamethrower user? 1-4 napalm rounds (out of a clipsize of 100).

The plan would be to relate the pickup to..say, a random number between "1" and "half a clip", because at the moment you simply never get any appreciable corpse ammo for the higher clipsize weapons (particularly noticable with assault rifles: every fucker and his uncle uses them, but if you actually use the damn thing yourself, you find you've got about 21 rounds total).
Perfect summary of the issue. The only thing I'll add is that it doesn't look as though the devs ever got around to adding any code along these lines. It almost seems like they tried to counter for this by adding random 7.62/etc. ammo drops throughout the game, but I can't be sure. Regardless, it IS an issue, but changing this would affect gameplay balance. It's enough to make me nervous, but it seems stupid enough that it SHOULD be changed anyway.
ggrotz wrote:
? OMG I CANT GET ON TEH BOTE
I'll take this as a joke.
Not a joke; it's just shorthand for "fix the ConSys issue that makes it stall when it expects sound files for conversations and finds none." The biggest thing relating to this is the classic "OMG I CANT GET ON TEH BOTE" complaint that plagued DX forums in the early days, which for those of you who don't know was caused by people playing the pirated "rip" version of the game which stripped out most of the game's large sound resources, particularly those for conversation files.

On that topic, does anybody have the "rip" version of the game somewhere? I've been trying for YEARS to get my hands on a copy so I can fiddle around with it. (And yes, I know that's technically piracy, but I own THREE VERSIONS OF THE GAME. I think I'm in the clear on the "paid for the product" front.)
ggrotz wrote:
? Spawned AugmentationCannisters have no augs in them
I don't quite understand this, but I would presume that is why there are all the augs in the Kurokuma Hideouts of Redsun 2020 without any augs?
Easiest way to see this is to enable cheats and type in "summon AugmentationCannister". Pick up the Aug Can and you'll see the list of augmentations is empty.

Adding this in would make it so using the above cheat would actually do something. I would also probably change the Aug Cans in Redsun that you mentioned.

DDL wrote:
? Unconscious NPC description doesn't include the name
And the NPC unconscious thing is simply that dead bodies are displayed in your frob highlight box as "Dead Body (Joseph Manderley)", whereas KOing your boss gets you "Unconscious"

It's a fairly easy fix to change that to "Unconscious (Joseph Manderley)" (though this'd require so rewriting of a few missionscripts...but those MissionScripts were written badly anyway).
I thought I'd borrow DDL's explanation because it's so good. The only thing I have to add to this is that I found a way in Shifter to keep the ItemName the same (so any crappy missionscripts will still work right) but to add the full description anyway, using the hitherto-unused (for corpses) FamiliarName variable. Again, for all this code the only change would be to make it so you will get "Joseph Manderley (Unconscious)" (I prefer that way, but whatever) when you look at Manderley's KO'd ass.
ggrotz wrote:
? Manderley's Safe is walled up
This one has been talked to death in the past on boards such as PDX. I would search and point you to the threads, but it's been blown up. As I recall for what the conversation content generally went, the safe only appeared in one iteration of UNATCO HQ and was walled up in that iteration. This generally indicates that the safe was not intended to be in the game. Furthermore, if it were, it would be silly to have the player be breaking into it with Manderley right there. My vote would be to just go ahead and remove it entirely, if you want to do something, but if you don't want to do anything, just leave it.
To be specific, I was only proposing making it accessible during the escape from UNATCO. It sounds like this might not be a welcome addition though.

Would it help if I mentioned that there's a recoil mod placed inside the inaccessible safe? Perhaps it should be moved or something if the safe isn't made accessible?

I have to go now. I'll reply to more stuff later.
Lork
NSF

Post by Lork »

Lork wrote:I just came across another small bug while testing my own mod. If you get into the secret lab in Maggie Chow's apartment, it's possible for Tong's messages to play out of order. He'll message you out of the blue when you take the sword and tell you to take it to Max Chen, then introduce himself and tell you to get the sword as you're leaving.
It's worse than I thought. I just reunited the triads, and I still have "Retrieve the Dragon's Tooth sword and await further instructions from Tracer Tong." stuck in my goals. I think I missed out on some experience points as well.
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Y|yukichigai wrote:This actually does come up with the Gary Savage exploit, but only half of it. Fixing this would remove the part where you get 500 skill points on top of an extra augmentation upgrade every time you talk to him (you'd just get the upgrade).
Wasn't that already fixed with the patch, only giving 500XP if you get the mission (which was only after successfully accepting the aug upgrade?)
Perfect summary of the issue. The only thing I'll add is that it doesn't look as though the devs ever got around to adding any code along these lines. It almost seems like they tried to counter for this by adding random 7.62/etc. ammo drops throughout the game, but I can't be sure. Regardless, it IS an issue, but changing this would affect gameplay balance. It's enough to make me nervous, but it seems stupid enough that it SHOULD be changed anyway.
Or they prefered to keep it more stealthy and less shooty this way (as I think is the case). With so many SMG users in the end, getting 10 bullets each time when only using up 4 to kill them makes a major difference compared to getting barely enough to compensate, making you forced to seek out other alternatives... or find ammo. Not just allow you to shoot everyone and be fine with it.
I thought I'd borrow DDL's explanation because it's so good. The only thing I have to add to this is that I found a way in Shifter to keep the ItemName the same (so any crappy missionscripts will still work right) but to add the full description anyway, using the hitherto-unused (for corpses) FamiliarName variable. Again, for all this code the only change would be to make it so you will get "Joseph Manderley (Unconscious)" (I prefer that way, but whatever) when you look at Manderley's KO'd ass.
Looks like this little piece of TNM code is all there is about it for it to make it work there inside TNMCarcass.uc:
TNMCarcass.uc wrote:function PostPostBeginPlay()
{
super.PostPostBeginPlay();
if(GivenName=="")
{
bNotDead=bUnconscious;
GivenName=FamiliarName;
GivenBindName=BindName;
initagain();
}
}
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
Y|yukichigai
UNATCO

Post by Y|yukichigai »

Lork wrote:
Lork wrote:I just came across another small bug while testing my own mod. If you get into the secret lab in Maggie Chow's apartment, it's possible for Tong's messages to play out of order. He'll message you out of the blue when you take the sword and tell you to take it to Max Chen, then introduce himself and tell you to get the sword as you're leaving.
It's worse than I thought. I just reunited the triads, and I still have "Retrieve the Dragon's Tooth sword and await further instructions from Tracer Tong." stuck in my goals. I think I missed out on some experience points as well.
This will need to be tested extensively. If you could find a way to reproduce this reliably that would be awesome; write down exactly what you have to do to reproduce it, ideally in a way so that someone could start a new game and use the legend cheat to warp to the right map.

Good catch if it's true; I've never run into that.
Y|yukichigai
UNATCO

Post by Y|yukichigai »

Hassat Hunter wrote: Looks like this little piece of TNM code is all there is about it for it to make it work there inside TNMCarcass.uc:
TNMCarcass.uc wrote:function PostPostBeginPlay()
{
super.PostPostBeginPlay();
if(GivenName=="")
{
bNotDead=bUnconscious;
GivenName=FamiliarName;
GivenBindName=BindName;
initagain();
}
}
Unfortunately that's TNM specific. Most of those variables don't exist in DeusExCarcass.uc.

No worries, I've already got the code worked out in Shifter. It's vaguely complicated but easy to cut-n-paste in at this point.