Deus Ex v2.0 - An unofficial fan patch for Deus Ex (HELP US)

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Re: Deus Ex v2.0 - An unofficial fan patch for Deus Ex (HELP US)

Post by Hassat Hunter »

No, it's from the information terminal. Like at the bar for example.
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
Jcelios
MJ12

Post by Jcelios »

*ahem* :P One of the reasons why I created this site:
http://theosek.sitesled.com/bulletins.h ... cterminals
MOST WANTED: J.C. Denton

Citizens of New York are warned to be on the lookout for terrorist J.C. Denton, also known as "<PLAYERNAME>." Denton, a terrorist leader, is wanted in conjunction with a number of crimes including the recent attack on UNATCO Headquarters; the bombing of the VersaLife Building in Hong Kong; and the murders of Juan Ivanovich Lebedev, UNATCO Agent Anna Navarre, and UNATCO Director Joseph Manderley.

Denton is approximately six feet tall, with silver facial tattoos and solid blue eyes, the result of a genetic condition usually concealed by a pair of sunglasses. He is armed and extremely dangerous. If you believe you have seen or know someone answering to this description, DO NOT attempt to engage them, but immediately report them to your nearest FEMA, UNATCO, or police presence.
http://theosek.sitesled.com/books.html
THE MOST HOLY ANNALS OF THE LUMINOUS PATH
THAT LEADS THE RIGHTEOUS TO THE FOLD
OF THE INNER CELESTIAL KINGDOM

Wong Fei Hong
Yim Wing Chun
Cho Yi-Hang
Wai Ko Lo
Yan-Fang Mei
Ching-hsia Lin
Kong-sang Chan
Yusen Wu
Chu-Kheng Yeoh
Yuen Wo-Ping
Tracer Tong
<PLAYERNAME>
Just go through the sections and ctrl-f for "player" it's easy to find all the instances of <PLAYERNAME>, <PLAYERFIRSTNAME> etc.
Lork
NSF

Post by Lork »

If you're wearing a charged pickup (eg. thermoptic camo) when your items are confiscated, its icon will be stuck on your HUD until you save/reload, and its looping sound will play when you get near it in the armory.
shadowblade34
MJ12

Post by shadowblade34 »

There are a few things that need to be fixed, such as in the Vandenberg Base, the first code you enter for the override thing (the one inside the building) would give yu skill points every time you would enter the code. Also, at the end of the Ocean Lab when Savage gives you the Aug Canister, if you have a full inventory, you could keep on talking to him and getting skill points, but only when you have spoken to him without collecting the Aug canister.
What the heck are you looking at my signature for?Read my blog
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

Those glitches have already been fixed i believe.

Welcome to the Forums :smile:
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
Lork
NSF

Post by Lork »

The crossbow plays the stealth pistol's firing sound instead of its own. This is because PlayFiringSound() automatically replaces the sound of any weapon that's silenced with the stealth pistol sound.

You can fix the problem by overriding PlayFiringSound() in WeaponMiniCrossbow like so:

Code: Select all

//Justice: Plays the correct sound when firing the crossbow
simulated function PlayFiringSound()
{
	PlaySimSound( FireSound, SLOT_None, TransientSoundVolume, 2048 );
}
Also, related to the targeting aug displaying the bindname of things instead of their actual name, it does a similar thing with weapons. For some reason, instead of the weapon's actual name, it displays the name of the weapon's class converted to a string, so you'll get "WeaponShuriken" instead of "Throwing Knives". You can pretty easily change it to display the name of the item, but some weapons don't have a name, so you'll see "DEFAULT WEAPON NAME - REPORT THIS AS A BUG". What I did was make it so that if a weapon has a name, it will be used, and if not, the original method will be used.

My fix:

In AugmentationDisplayWindow.DrawTargetAugmentation(), replace

str = str @ target.GetItemName(String(Pawn(target).Weapon.Class));
with

if(Pawn(target).Weapon.ItemName == class'DeusExWeapon'.Default.ItemName) //Justice: If the weapon has a name...
	str = str @ target.GetItemName(String(Pawn(target).Weapon.Class));
else
	str = str @ Pawn(target).Weapon.ItemName; //Justice: ...Use it
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Lork wrote:The crossbow plays the stealth pistol's firing sound instead of its own. This is because PlayFiringSound() automatically replaces the sound of any weapon that's silenced with the stealth pistol sound.
Errr, why the hell is the crossbow even silenceable? Shouldn't it be silent by default? In fact, are you completely sure it's not?
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Lork
NSF

Post by Lork »

It's "silenced" by default, in that bHasSilencer is set to true. That's just how the game determines whether a weapon makes noise or not.

In DeusExWeapon:

function GetAIVolume(out float volume, out float radius)
{
        volume = 0;
        radius = 0;

if (!bHasSilencer && !bHandToHand)
        {
                volume = NoiseLevel*Pawn(Owner).SoundDampening;
                radius = volume * 800.0;
        }
}
Try firing the crossbow before and after applying my fix if you don't believe me. I think you need to hear the real, intended sound before you can appreciate how weird it was that your crossbow used to sound exactly like a silenced pistol. I never would've noticed it if I hadn't been messing around with my own mod, but now it seems crazy that I didn't hear it before.
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Heh, you're right.

TNM's crossbow doesn't have it though, it doesn't play a sound (As far as I can tell).
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
Lork
NSF

Post by Lork »

It turns out that the firing sound is supposed to be handled by ammo types, so you'll need to add this line to the defaultproperties of Dart.uc to complete the "fix":

SpawnSound=Sound'DeusExSounds.Weapons.MiniCrossbowFire'
Otherwise the sound will stop playing when you load a different type of ammo into the crossbow. And instead of my original change, PlayFiringSound() should be overrided with an empty function, or it'll be twice as loud until you change ammo types.

This is starting to look more like restored content than a straight up bug fix, so I guess it's up to the community/Yuki whether it's appropriate or not.

90% of the times I start DX, the sound is staticy and I have to quit and start it again, so it's a gigantic pain in the ass to test this, and my internet is crapping out at the moment (probably due to millions of tourists using their iPhones at the Olympics), so I'm going to stop for now. What I have right now should be all there is to it, though.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

As to the crappy sound thing, Mine did the same.
A little trick I picked up from these forums to fix it though. (I'm doing tihs from memory so someone correct me if i'ma wrong :mrgreen: )
Go into the DeusEx.ini and scroll down to DirectSound=True and change it to false. :mrgreen:

Since I did that I havent had any sound problems.

EDIT: In the Galexy.GalexyAudioSubsystem (Or something like that I only had chance to quickly look at it xD)
UseDirectSound=False, Fixed all my sound problems lol
Lork
NSF

Post by Lork »

nerdenstein wrote:As to the crappy sound thing, Mine did the same.
A little trick I picked up from these forums to fix it though. (I'm doing tihs from memory so someone correct me if i'ma wrong :mrgreen: )
Go into the DeusEx.ini and scroll down to DirectSound=True and change it to false. :mrgreen:

Since I did that I havent had any sound problems.

EDIT: In the Galexy.GalexyAudioSubsystem (Or something like that I only had chance to quickly look at it xD)
UseDirectSound=False, Fixed all my sound problems lol
Wow, thanks. That was driving me nuts.

Actually... If anybody knows of an installer that can do a find and replace in text files, that would be a good candidate for the patch.
Last edited by Lork on Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

Haha S'alright.
Let me know if that works. :smile:
Lork
NSF

Post by Lork »

I can't say for sure until I've started the game up several more times, but it seems to have cleared it right up.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

Lork wrote:Actually... If anybody knows of an installer that can do a find and replace in text files, that would be a good candidate for the patch.
Actually, the DX files seem to be standard Windows INI files, which means there are components to add, set, and change values out there. All that needs to happen is that they be called with the right values. Edit: I tested, and yes the DX INIs are standard Windows INI files. Definitely no problem to change them.

In fact, for all the INI mucking I've had to do lately with Deus Ex, TNM and all the other mods, I'm thinking about writing a full configuration interface for these things which can set some "smart" options and allow other options to be set in DX that the main menu doesn't allow (like widescreen monitor resolutions) or is limited in doing. If I get past what I'm doing now, I might make a post to that effect. The only thing I don't know is if/how to integrate it with DX (or if it even can be done with changes that should be global to all installed mods).

But if I can help out in any other way in this regard, let me know.